Sleep Disorders Community
sleep apnea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep apnea

I am new to this forum. I am on the MS one, but have a question on sleep apnea. I was told last month by my neuro, to have a sleep apnea test done because I snore and sometimes wake myself up. I was wondering, if when having sleeping problems, can it close oxygen to your brain?? I haven't been sleeping good lately. I have been waking up with REALLY bad headaches. I thought it might be MS related, but I recently went on webmd and looked up sleep apnea. I found out how serious it can be. So just wanted more info from you all on it. Would appreciate it. Karina
Yeah, it can be.  Go get the sleep test and you will probably discover that you're desaturating during your apneic episodes.  There's a great sleep apnea forum  at apneasupport dot org.

Hugs

Trish
Excess cortisol is pumped into the system by the stress sleep apnea causes.  Cortisol is important for myelin.  Excess cortisol in the system caused by sleep apnea causes the adrenals to become exhausted and not pump out as much cortisol.  Myelin is dependent on cortisol to cover the nerves.  Without myelin the nerves are damaged leading to neuro symptoms.  Your doctor can put you in touch with a sleep clinic who will evaluate you overnight if necessary.  Your doctor can also give you a cortisol test to check your levels of cortisol, to see if they are lacking.  Sleep apnea can lead to death so it is essential to get checked out.  It can also lead to diabetes as your body will constantly be pumping in adrenalin to get your heart to make you breathe.  Palpitations during the day are common when very fatigued with sleep apnea.  The brain causes the body to respond this way as a result of  it detecting an increase in carbon dioxide.
Thanks for the advice. I am planning on having a consultation with a dr on this soon. Then they will tell me if I need a sleep test or not.         Karina
After having my sleep st udy test I found that using  a CPAP helped me extreamly. My body felt as if I could not do another thing.My body was bone dead. After the test they found that I was loosing 2.5 hours in 8 hr sleeping and tthe oxygen. This 2.5 was not all at one time but many many times at 1 to 1.5 min.. now I have the correct pressure settings and face mask.  I can not sleep with out using my CPAP!. Also I fell like life has returned  to my body.  Have the test. it's workth every min. of your life.   HCR
Do  yu snore????you have sleep apenia. Also if you are getting sleepy while driving,or just sitting down in a chair..?....The Test is a great tool for detecting the problem.....HCR
Yes I do snore alot. I've even woken myself up before. Hope to have money for a consultation.  Karina
Thanks for your advice. My last day with net is 19th.    Karina
Hi take it from a wife who's husband (whom also has acute asthma) has REALLY bad sleep apnea the CPAP machine has finally given me (LOL) a good nights sleep !! (well as good as one can get having three kids under 5 !!) I was always worried that this would be the night that i would fall into a deep sleep myself and not hear my husbands breathing stop :{

The difference in him is amazing. No headaches in the morning, heaps more get up and go to do things and he has even lost a bit of weight :}

The CPAP machine is a definite 10/10

Hope all goes well with you :}
Do most insurances cover the cpap machine. I have a brother with a severe heart condition and damage who has sleep apnea terribly. He has medicare or medicaid I believe.