Sleep Disorders Community
sleep disorders due to strokes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep disorders due to strokes?

Ive been having mini strokes off and on since the middle of last year...had a mild stroke during that time as well. I notice the side effects but cant tell when the actual attack happened. They havent affected my speech or movement....just my brain seeming to get stuck....i have to focus to get it working right. One of the side effects seems to be abnormally long periods of sleeping...this last time was the worst...slept almost 24 hours without waking up even to go to bathroom! Someone mentioned "blackouts" is this what the blackouts are? I have had tests cat scans..mri with dye in veins...heart is great..no blockages...next step is neurology. My main question though is about the "dead" sleep!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could just be that you are tired and need more sleep. Just give yourself more time to sleep/rest. If the symptoms still do not resolve, then you have to get assessed for sleep disorders. Certain sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea can cause disturbed sleep and hence the need to sleep more. And others like narcolepsy can cause excessive sleepiness per say.  
If it persists or is troublesome consult your doctor for assessment to rule out sleep disorders.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I dont know much about the sleep disorder but if your having mini strokes please figure out why and get the situation fixed because small ones lead to a big one like my grandma had after many mini strokes and it was the most horrifying thing ive ever seen with her entire left side paralyzed and not able to even swallow. Get your artery in your neck checked regardless of the ones around your heart. If blockage is not the cause then please find it.