Sleep Disorders Community
sleep disorders

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep disorders

I have, all year, suffered from low energy.  I've seen a nutritionist (rather than listen to GI guy and take an antibiotic to kill bacteria in my gut, whose  various methods of work suggest that I am allergic to milk products.  I avoid and I am better.  I take probiotics and a digestive enzyme prior to meals.  I am better but still tired.  Last Saturday I took a sleep test and was then diagnosed with apnea.  If I great this, can I recover energy and GI functions?
thanks,
ethical girl
I accidently posted this on the Thyroid site!  since posting i  have much more information which I will share in a minute.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea, is a sleep disorder, wherein during sleep there is an obstruction to airflow due to laxity of the throat muscles during sleep and this could cause restlessness. This disorder can cause inadequate sleep leading to fatigue and daytime sleepiness. Hence for therapy CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) is used to keep it patent. Adequate sleep could help with the low energy, but may not help the GI symptoms.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
/Thank you.  I was told by the PA at the sleep clinic that CPAP was effective in 86% of mild cases...my guess, as is yours probably, is that is because it is not used.  I am refusing the 'dental solution' which costs medicare some $800.00 and my secondary some $200 and me $300-400.  I have looked at Snorerx on line and may invest 99$. to try it.  (I am so disgusted with our medical systme. with the drug companies control with the use of a *&% MRI and CTSCAN and any thing that will cost thousands of dollars.  I have no intention of letting myself die of this conviction, but I hope to be able to attempt other solutions and let them eat bread!  OOPs, you see I lived in France for 12 years for which I give credit for my NOT being overweight and bla bla bal.  what a wonderful health care system.  We pay and get lousy care but most people are totally un aware of this..especially during an election period when the masses only want to hear how wonderful the US is and how everyone envies us. Not.  Sorry to go off on your helpful comments and concern...Hopefully you know that I just needed to vent before my green tea and honey!!
Thanks again,
Kate
The sleep apnea docs believe they have the solution to every sleep disorder. I don't believe a person leaves their office without a prescription for the machine.

I can't sleep with my machine. The meds plus sleep scheduling works much better.

Regarding your comments, the medical community would rather put you through $3000 worth of billable tests and machinery than prescribe pills. This will continue as long as insurance plays their game.
Thank you or confirming what I believe.  However, with the ability to buy any elected official's vote, this will not change.  But the slow, steady destruction of our public education system and the influence, obvious and unavoidable, of the 1% will keep people as they are now:  non-thinking.  Glad that a few of us can question the system and find alternatives to this.  Had I known more, I might not have taken the test.  Too late now.  And you are right.  I only know of one person who has taken the test and not been declared to have it.
Happy Monday to you!
Kate