Sleep Disorders Community
sleep paralysis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep paralysis

My friend in her 50's  has sleep paralysis. She was misdiagnosed and they put her on all these psch meds because of the panic attacks which are making her worse.Any suggestions^
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sleep paralysis is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. This sleep disorder is characterized by excessive day time sleepiness, sleep paralysis, cataplexy where the person has episodes of loss of muscle function while awake, hypnogogic hallucinations and automatic behavior.

It is usually diagnosed by sleep onset REM sleep (SOREMs), which is dream sleep in multiple episodes of MSLT (multiple sleep latency tests). However, therapy helps to regulate Narcolepsy.

She will need to consult her primary care physician, who may schedule her for a polysomnogram (sleep test) to rule out this sleep disorder and initiate appropriate therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your help. She is waiting for appt at sleep lab. They are try ing to label this woman with alzheimers. I just feel so bad,because she is in wrong medications