Sleep Disorders Community
sleep problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep problem

I am a 65 yr old female with chronic insomnia. I fall asleep for 1/2 to 1 hour and then am awake for several hours. At most I sleep 4 hours a night. I have recently started taking ambien 10 mg qhs which works for 3 hours and then I am awake. Is it problematic to take ambien every night. It seems better than being awake half the night. Thanks, Gagy
Hello Gagy.

It is a tough situation when you can't sleep properly for such a long period. It takes a heavy toll on your body. I feel sorry for the problem you are facing. But there are, always, solutions to problems if one tries harder.

First off, I would like you to know that Ambien (Zolpidem) is safe for daily use for a long term use. It is not known for any addiction potential. There might be occasional case reports of tolerance developed for Ambien, but overall it is an effective drug.  In fact, Ambien CR (extended release) is known to give a good 6 -7 hours of sleep.

Have you found out the cause for your insomnia ? Any physical illness or any psychological issues, if found, can be treated appropriately.

Please revert to me if you have any other questions on this.

Hope you sleep well.

Regards
I have a similar problem like you.  I have taken Lunesta (,3mg) and have gotten 5 hours of sleep .  I have also taken Ambien CR.  When I first took it, I got 7 hours of sleep.  The second night I just got 2 hours of sleep.  I don't know why I got only 2 hours of sleep?  I understand that sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't.  My doctor has suggested that I stop taking any and all medications for sleep and try going to sleep on my own even if it takes 3, 4, etc. days without sleeping.  If I can accomplish, this that I will be happy that I did it and would have wished I would have done this sooner.  I am now thrilled at all about having to do this, because not sure I can.  It will bring on alot of stress and anxiety for me.  I have been already through enough anxiety.  Don't know what to do.
Hey, Why not try the three days its got to be worth a go. if it doesnt work all youve had to deal with is potentially 3 days worth of extra anxiety. But after those 3 days you may have sorted it out for good!!  Instead of medication try meditation to stop the anxiety overall you will become much healthier and not reliant on drugs.  Or if you dont fancy meditation try arming yourself with some good books to keep your mind occupied instead of getting anxious.