sleep
Today i feel asleep and i cant really explain it i can hear the tv and hear the sounds of my neighbors outside but i couldnt wake up from my sleep,my body felt paralyzed i couldnt open my eyes talk and i felt a heaviness on my chest it made me really nervous when i finally woke up i gasped heavely for air and i was really thirsty and when i got up felt weak and confused i also had a slight headache. any anyone tell me if they ever experience this and what it could be? im scared to fall back to sleep later:( thank you
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is most likely that you may be having Obstructive Sleep Apnea. When a person sleeps the airways are usually patent allowing normal passage for air entry. The upper airway that is at the region of the tongue and the soft palate is the most compliant (soft) part. As the air way collapses the lungs do not have air entry leading to deoxygenation (decreased oxygen) of blood and the person wakes up. This period of non entry of air is called ‘Apnea’ and the waking up is called an ‘Arousal’. This keeps alternating and the person may not actually wake up all the time, but these repeated arousals can disturb the sleep architecture and cause fatigue, headaches, dryness of throat and daytime sleepiness. It could also be due to an entity called sleep paralysis. This is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy.

I would advise you to consult a sleep specialist who would assess with first a sleep questionnaire, and then he may ask for a polysomnogram, which is an overnight sleep study as this helps to detect the apneas.

Hope This Helped and Do Keep Us Posted.