Sleep Disorders Community
sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleeping

I have problems sleeping and wake up every 2 hours through the night! can anyone help
A sleep study is where you sleep over at a lab, and they hook your body up to all kinds of machines to see if you have sleep apnea, restless legs, narcolepsy, etc.

"Sound sleep - Several studies show a lack of magnesium can alter electrical activity in the brain, causing agitated sleep and frequent awakenings."
Have you had a sleep study?

Worries on your mind?

Bright or noisy room?

A magnesium deficiency can cause sleep problems, anxiety, less resistance to stress, etc.
thanks so much for your help, no I haven't had a sleep study not sure what it is!
No real worries honestly. My room is dark and very quiet, I will find out about your
suggestion of magnesium.

Another quote about Magnesium and sleep:

"Magnesium also helps regulate nerve cell function. It must be present in adequate amounts in the synaptic gap between nerve cells to control the rate of neuron firing. (3) When synaptic magnesium levels are too low, nerves fire too easily from even minor stimuli. For example, noises will sound excessively loud, lights will seem too bright, emotional reactions will be exaggerated, and ***the brain will be too stimulated to sleep***. In extreme magnesium-synaptic deficiency, epilepsy--a sort of whole-brain shotgun-blast excessive neuronal firing--may result."
Source: The Underappreciated Mineral of Life Part I
By James South M.A.
Hi, welcome to the forum, you seem to have insomnia due to sleep maintenance problems tend to be associated with stress, anxiety, or circadian rhythm sleep disorders.

They may also be associated with sleep disorders (e.g., sleep apnea, periodic limb movements), medical conditions that cause pain, psychiatric diseases (e.g., anxiety, depression), or the use or withdrawal of alcohol, nicotine, or other substances.

The investigations which will help to diagnose the type and cause for insomnia are Polysomnography, Multiple sleep latency test and Actigraphy.

The therapy for this condition includes retaining of normal circadian rhythm by non-pharmacological therapy which includes; Photo therapy, maintenance of sleep hygiene.

You need to go for morning exercises and work out which will make you fresh and active all day and tiredness at the end of day will help you to induce sleep naturally. Comfortable bed, warm bath before bed, warm milk sometime before bed, fragrance, mild music and proper ventilation of room will help you.

If you are having depression and anxiety you should try relaxation methods and share your feelings with someone close. Stress management techniques will help you.

Pharmacological therapy includes short course of appropriate sedatives and Hypnotics against prescription. Non-benzodiazepines are effective in delayed onset sleep disorder and help to initiate the sleep.

I suggest you to consult physician. Take car and regards