snorting sleeping pills
I have been snorting 10 mg of zaleplon at bedtime for a few months, and have recently experienced labored breaths, and a tightness in my lungs.  These sensations are accompanied with shallow breathing , and I have to inhale deeply to get full, cleansing breaths.  I have not been coughing or weezing.  Do I need to worry about permanent damage to my lungs, or is it a temporary problem?  Do I need to get medications such as an inhaler help me breath easier?  I am no longer snorting zaleplon, but I am quite concerned about lingering and/or permanent damage to my lungs.  Any information would be helpful!
You must stop this habit IMMEDIATELY. I cannot convey to you how dangerous this practice is. The inert filler in the pills is no different from asbestos, and will eventually cause a fibrosis that is irreversible and result in death. You will develop a progressive short-ness-of breath and air hunger. The process will be inexorable and irreversible. There is no treatment. Not a good death either. A painful agonizing death where you will be unable to walk, to move, on oxygen and swollen up from steroids. It takes time for this to develop, but it is inevitable.
On a short-term basis you will probably have to use an albuterol sulfate inhaler and a prescription drug such as Foradil. Hopefully the disease will not progress rapidly.
I might add that very small amounts of this debris may be cleared naturally, however there is a threshold above which clearing will not take place. I suggest you immediately see a pulmonologist for an evaluation.
Why would you snort it?
People powder and "snort" various medications to get a "high". The medication portion settles on the alveoli in a concentrated form and goes directly into the bloodstream. The inert portion remains on the lung, for the most part, forever. In exactly the same way as asbestos.
Thanks, caregiver 222 for scaring the crap out of me.  I read your responses, and promptly freaked out.  Waited 3 hours at a Carenow only for the doctor to tell me to go to the ER so they could more accurately diagnose me.  Arrived at the ER, and they did an ekg, which was fine.  Took a lung x-ray which was also fine.  I discussed my concerns with the doctor, and even showed him your posts.  He said that you over exaggerated.  I did not have fibrosis, and am not going to die a slow, agonizing, and painful death.   Thanks for that, BTW. Zaleplon, which are gel caps that contain powder, act as an irritant like dust or pollen.  If your lungs can't expel these substances they do bind to the lungs and form scar tissue, but you won't develop fibrosis unless you do it for years and years.  He said everyone has scar tissue!   He said that in addition to allergies (which I have) the powder basically irritated my bronchial tubes to the point that I developed Bronchospasms.  They gave me a breathing treatment, wrote me a prescription for an inhaler, and sent me home.  They were very friendly and helpful.  Unlike yourself.
I'm not snorting the meds anymore, btw.
Caregiver was very helpful, even if it takes a while for you to figure it out. You claim you have given up the habit on free advice, but want better service?