Sleep Disorders Community
urgent please help me someone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

urgent please help me someone

HI i am 32 and have the following symptoms in my sleep I jerk, punch and kick out, shout,swear,get up through things around, bang my head and grind my teeth. I have been doing this since i was a kid doctors have not heard of this it stuffs up relationships and i am sick off it can some one please help me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. During sleep, the body cycles between non-REM and REM sleep. Typically, people begin the sleep cycle with a period of non-REM sleep followed by a very short period of REM sleep. Dreams generally occur in the REM stage of sleep.

Intense dreaming occurs during REM sleep as a result of heightened brain activity, but paralysis occurs simultaneously in the major voluntary muscle groups. REM is a mixture of encephalic (brain) states of excitement and muscular immobility. For this reason, it is sometimes called paradoxical sleep. Hence you cannot scream or call during the dreaming phase.

Disorders related to dreaming could occur with REM sleep behavior disorders. Here the person acts out the dreams. You could be suffering from this disorder. Here the person experiences symptoms of bad, frightening dreams which interfere with his sleep schedules. This can be assessed by a sleep questionnaire and therapy is based on the severity of symptoms.

I would advise you to consult a sleep specialist who would assess with first a sleep questionnaire, and then he may ask for a polysomnogram if needed, which is an overnight sleep study as this helps to detect sleep disorders.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi there, My girlfriend has the same thing that happens to her at night as well. Here's the treatment that stops it from happening completely! Now don't be skeptical, it really works awesome, It is Hershey's special dark chocolate candy. YES, you heard me right! Hershey's special dark chocolate candy, little over 4yrs ago God answered my prayers, with this remarkable candy in aiding me. I used to live with night terrors from childhood to adult life, I can tell you that I'm over 4yrs free of night terrors completely! But it's a daily regiment of eating it, for rest of your life to keep it away for good meaning you must maintain the regiment just like medicine, but in a candy form. I will tell you this, it sure beats being on some nasty harmful drugs. In your case, like my girlfriend , it must eaten 3 to 4 hours before bed time. My girlfriend is free of it now,  their is something in the dark chocolate ingredients? that stops the trigger of it from happening.   No this is not a joke!  I would not do that to anyone with these awful terror that they with! It even works with those who have day time panic attacks, anxiety. I encourage you and everyone else who are plague with a terror, to try the dark chocolate regiment.