Sleep Disorders Community
using cpap every night but still extremely tired

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I was 14. I always thought being dog tired even with using my cpap machine every night was normal. Now I have a two year old and I need to figure this out. I can sleep 12 hours and still feel like I have no energy, everything feels like it's in slow motion for the first four hours IM awake, if someone tries to wake me up I either won't hear them or I hear them but cannot force myself to wake up. I've been treated for chronic migraine but I think it has to do with this sleeping issue. I know my weight plays a huge factor but I've lost 43 pounds and working on more but no changes in my sleep issues. There has been times I lay down and IM dizzy for about a min
i sent you a message I am just getting the hang of this and I have narcolepsy would definitely like to chat
Have you discussed your excessive daytime sleepiness with your physician? It's possible you need to have a special kind of sleep study, called an "overnight polysomnogram with MSLT." The MSLT tests for Idiopathic Hypersomnia or Narcolepsy. Both of these conditions are treatable with medication, so it's important to get an accurate diagnosis. As you have sleep apnea, I'm guessing you're familiar with the overnight sleep studies, and have a sleep specialist who manages your care. The difference here is that you will stay into the afternoon after your overnight study, and they will have you try to take a series of naps after having a full night's sleep. Depending on how quickly you fall asleep, and how quickly you reach REM sleep, they can tell if you have IH, narcolepsy, or something else.
I have told both physician as well as sleep specialist and no one seems to be hearing me I will have to ask about narcolepsy.