Sleep Disorders Community
wake up early, feel sleepy all day.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

wake up early, feel sleepy all day.

when I wake up early, dispite of having slept enough, I feel sleepy all day. I would fall asleep especially in the afternoon if trying to read something.

for example sleeping from 10pm to 7am wouldn't be enough. I do better if I go to bed late and wake up later in the morning even if with less total hours of sleep. unfortunately I can't do that I need to wake up early.

why is that? what's the best way to arrange one's sleep?

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could just be that you are tired and need more sleep. Just give yourself more time to sleep/rest. If the symptoms still do not resolve, then you have to get assessed for sleep disorders. Certain sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea can cause disturbed sleep and hence the need to sleep more. And others like narcolepsy can cause excessive sleepiness per say.
If it persists or is troublesome consult your doctor for assessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I do snore terribly sometimes, not always. I might have some sleeping apnea.

the whole thing was that I have the impression that if I wake up early I'm drowsy during the day but I do much better when I wake up late even though I slept the same hours or even less. I wondered if that was a common thing!

thanks.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There is no specific number for the sleep requirements or timings. Different age groups need different amounts of sleep, but sleep needs are also based on  individuals. Just like any other characteristics you are born with, the amount of sleep you need to function best may be different for you than for someone who is of the same age and gender. On an average it ranges from 7-9 hrs for an adult.

As long as you are fresh on awakening and do not have excessive daytime sleepiness, your sleep is adequate. Snoring by itself indicates narrowed air passages. It could indicate obstructive sleep apnea.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
what puzzles me is that for example if I went to sleep at 10pm and get up at 8am, that's 10 hours sleep I wouldn't feel so "fresh" during the day.

but if I slept less going to bed at 2am but waking up later in the morning at 10am, less hours of sleep, I do better during the day.

so it seems that it depends on getting up early in the morning regardless of sleep hours. but maybe it's just that I'm not used to regular hours because I don't work...
I have the issue of being sleepy all the time regardless of how much sleep I get. But the more I get, the sleepier I am. It's worse when I'm not active, but I have even fallen asleep while active many, many times. I have to compact my sleep to usually 4-6 hours per night in order to function the next day.
My body wants to sleep all day every day, but I can't allow it or I will just continue to sleep. When I sleep a lot, I feel a driving, uncontrollable sleepiness with very heavy eyes, I feel extremely foggy headed, I can't concentrate, my body aches and many times I don't have the energy to speak.
When I am going to sleep, I experience some paralysis and cannot speak or move even if I am trying to.
Sometimes I feel that getting up later helps me feel more awake when i do get up, but I think that's more of a psychological thing because about an hour after I get up, I am struggling to stay awake again no matter what time I got up.
You sound somewhat like me. I think you should see a sleep doctor and have a sleep study done AND an MSLT. The MSLT is a nap test that's done the following day to monitor how quickly and how many times you go to sleep during daytime hours. I was allowed to lay down in bed and try to take 5 naps on the day after my sleep study. Each time I fell asleep within 5 minutes of getting into bed with two times reading 0 minutes. In between each nap, I struggled to stay awake.
My sleep doctor diagnosed me with Idiopathic Hypersomnia with Long Sleep. It's similar to narcolepsy but without the sudden paralysis and catatonia. There is a chemical in the brain that differentiates the two, but it's not certain what.
Good luck and I hope this can be figured out for you. I know how frustrating it is.
thanks. try to take a nap during the day , 20-30 minutes no more. after lunch for example.

good luck to you too!