Sleep Disorders Community
wake up in a panic from lack of breathing??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I wake up in a panic atleast 3-5 times a week. It feels like Im choking and can't breath. Eventually I get myself to swallow so I can breath, during that time it feels like Im going to die cause Im choking on something. Is my tongue in the way? This has been happening on and off for a couple years. Im not on medication or anything.
well when you sleep your heart rate slows and there for so dose your breathing. you could by smothering yourself in your sleep try elevating your head or sleeping in a new position try sleeping with water by your bed and possibly a humidifier. i actually keep an inhailer by my bed and it helps a lot. but im also pg lol but i dont see why those things should not help.
have experienced similar problems myself. See your dr and make sure sleep apnea is not the problem. Even if it is - there are effective treatments.

mark
thanks for your responses. Will talk to my Dr. about it.
Yes, get checked for sleep apnea. Also check to make sure your breathing is not getting blocked while you sleep. I have a problem where my nasal passage gets blocked of on occasion in my sleep (I have a lot of sinus issues), and I end up waking up gasping for air.

Best bet is to see an ENT Specialist. They will check your nasal passages as well as get you set up for a sleep test.