Sleep Disorders Community
waking up with rapid heart beat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

waking up with rapid heart beat

for the past 2 weeks or so i've been sleeping regularly one night and then the next i wake up at around 1am and have a rapid heart beat which wont slow down as well as anxiety and trouble breathing. this goes away very shortly however i can't lay down without having trouble breathing and symptoms again usually for another 4 hours or so. i'm lucky if i can fall back to sleep by 5am. then the next night i sleep fine all night. this is including nausea and trouble breathing during the day. the longer this has gone on, the less active i'm able to be. i've tried to see if its something i'm eating or drinking or doing but it happens regardless of how much (if at all) i worked out that day, how much caffeine, how much red meat, dairy or alcohol i've had or not had. i've had a catscan done and a petscan of my lungs and been told everything is fine. this is starting to take hold of not only my social and afterwork life but causing me to be disoriented and having constant headaches at work. i'm a 24 year old male looking for some sort of advice since my doctors all say 'nothings wrong'
you may try to consult an ENT doctor.  for the nose.

im also experiencing this fast beat of the heart. i frequently wake up, i think after i have 1 to 2 hours of sleep becuase of this fast beat of the heart accompanied with difficulty in breathing.

the Ent doctor told me that i have deviated septum.

Hi shaggylom, how are you doing? Relax! You need to observe for couple of more days to know the causing factor, some of common once are night terror/bad dream, anxiety, excessive coffee/tea, bulky spicy food, smoking or alcohol consumption prior to sleep. An ill ventilated room and high humidity can also cause the sleep disturbance. Avoid the above said triggers and do some stretches, take warm bath before sleep, listen to soft music and sleep in a noise free comfortable room. If you feel it is not improving or worsening, it is better you consult a neurologist or a sleep specialist to undergo evaluation and any necessary investigation. Do share your thoughts and take care.
Hi there,

It sounds like a good deal of what you've got going on is psychological.. Read this info about how to cure sleep disorders such as insomnia without sleep aids. I think the technique will also help with the anxiety you mentioned.

Take it easy!
Oooops - I forgot to post the link: http://www.****.com
Hi shaggylom, how are you doing? Hope you might be better now with sleep being improved? You need to take care of your general health as even evening rise in temperature, anemia, dehydration (common in this season), few drugs (decongestants), any infections, Thyroid involvement and cardiac problems too cause fast heart rate. Do you have palpitations, sweating or pain chest? Having alcohol and too spicy food can cause heartburn and could be a cause. Most common one as said earlier is anxiety, nightmares and high humidity. If it is still continuing in spite you try to take precautions, I suggest you to consult your doctor for evaluation and investigations. Psychological counseling would be of great help. Do post your thoughts and update on your progress. Take care.
Are you able to get a sleep study?  You may be awakening because your stopping breathing like sleep apnea.  You can actually stop for minutes and when you do have a really long apnea you can wake up feeling out of breath and a rapid heart beat.