Smoking Addiction Community
1 Cigarette a day

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

1 Cigarette a day

I smoke just 1 Cigarette a day , not more than that.
so how much harmfull it is ?
Wow I've never heard of anyone just having 1 cigarette a day. I'd say just dont even bother, eventually you'll end up smoking more than 1 cigarette a day sooner or later. I believe smoking cigarettes is harmful no matter how many you smoke a day.
It is not completly harmless I'm sure. The worst thing is it keeps the addcition going.
Hmm.
This is a step of mine in the way of stopping smokking.

previously I used to smoke a lot. now I've minimized it to exact 1/day. never more than that strictly.

However smoking just one is not much harmfull. Is it ??
Cutting down to 1 is a great thing, i'm sure its not as harmfull as smoking a pack a day, i'm no expert, I just think smoking isnt good for you no matter how you look at it, but hey if you cut down to 1 than good job.
Jizi & Mr. Lucky are correct........In order to quit, you must stop all together. You may think you are capable of stopping this way, but because you are a smoker, then when something happens that sets you off, you will most likely return to smoking more.
If you can go with 1 of a half one per day, then you absolutely do not need any at all so just don't smoke period, that's the best and only way to quit.
Good luck!
Kathy Jo
Sure it's way better than 1 pack per day but you need (and want?) to get to 0 smokes a day. There's an older lady from church who calls me and she does the same thing, 1 per day in a few puffs at a time. She really needs to quit 100% as she has COPD.  I smoked for 38 years and it killed both my parents. I didn't have COPD or cancer yet but it may have happened soon.all the best
Hmm sometime I think I should leave. But acctually I dont have any addiction on the point of smoking. My addiction is to go to a relaxing place and sit quite alone and smoke. the place and the climate etc.. is my addiction smoking is auxaliry. even If I have 1 Cigerate on my hand Its ok I dont need to smoke.

To test wheather the above statement is true or not I justspent 3 days without Cigerate. just by going to same place. and 4 days just by liting it on mouth and then holding it on my hand and I found that last 4 days was as relaxing as I smoked today.

LOL Its a rather Psycological problem. (But this problem doesn't harm at all rather it gives me the same relaxation of smoking).
If I could get away with smoking only one a day (which I can't), I still don't think I would.  Why suffer through the horrid taste and stink up my breath, skin, and clothes once each day??  Makes absolutely no sense to me.

---
Wayne Baker
Nicotine Free:  1Y 3w 2d 23h 57m
Not Smoked:  11,309
Money Better Spent $1,865.99

Happy 1 year anniversary Wayne (3 weeks, 2 days, 23 hours and 57 minutes late).

Congratulations to you!
Kathy Jo
Thank you Kathy :-)
1 a day will still add up to hundreds of cigarettes over time. I think the effect is the same, only slower.. Here's a video that I got from youtube. It shows how much tar will end up in your lungs after 2 boxes of cigarettes.. If you're smoking 1 a day, you will have finished 2 boxes of cigarettes after 400 days. Since when have you been smoking 1 a day?

http://cigarette-facts.com/cigarette-smoking-the-scary-facts/

Watch it there, I got so scared since I know I've smoked way more than 2 boxes... But I quit already and going strong : )
I feel it is harder to quit smoking 1 a day then if I smoked more. I have such a built up daily mental release that is fixated around that one ultimate relaxation cigartette before bed. I am so relaxed I am usually out when my head hits the pillow. The only problem is I start associating that one cigarette as a nightly sleeping pill and finding myself not wanting to go without it. To make matters worse if for some reason I wake up during the nite I find myself having another cigarette to fall back asleep! Now what?!?!
That's the mental addiction, which is, in my opinion, a lot tougher to break then the physical one.
If you recognize it as an issue, and it sounds as if it is, then it may help to try to understand the reason why you associate smoking with relaxation.
Have you tried substitution? Maybe a glass of warm milk or decaf green tea? It's odd that the smell alone isn't an aversion!

Try to read some of the articles at whyquit.com Concentrate mainly on the "behavioral" articles.
Good luck to you.
Look, there is so many false facts about smoking out there. Yes 1 cigarette a day will add up to 400. But your theory that there will be  that much tar in the lungs is false. It will add up to that but your lungs do rebuild themselves. People that smoke a pack a day or more put more tar in there lungs than there lungs can get rid of. And when to find information about cigarettes try to stick with independent studies. So many studies are either backed by Cigarette companies or anti smoking organizations. My opinion is that if u want to smoke 14 a day go for it. Its all about self control. I always loved this quote, its from a independent study. "If you smoke for 50 years you will die from a heart attack, or a stroke which is a normal way for a smoker to die. If you dont smoke for 50 years you will die from a heart attack or a stroke, which is the normal way for a non smoker to die. And both will die a normal age". Plus my opinion is who wants to live till they are 80 anyway?
Really!? Just one a day...seems hard to believe. Ciggarettes are an addiction there is no way to just smoke one.

You have good self control thats all i can say! LOL
well i guess its kinda like second hand smoke but not really, but its hard to believe you just smoke once a day. i live around smokers and they smoke like every 15 mins.
I've always thought that if I could smoke ONLY the cigarettes that I really enjoy  each day, which would be about 6, I would never even think about quitting. It would still be a risk, but I would accept that risk. Unfortunately, it is the other 34 cigarettes a day that I'm not even aware I have lit that skews my risk ratio. LOL (Sort of)
Personally I say if this guy really can only smoke one a day, go for it.
I also have friends who only smoke if they're having a drink, and no, they aren't raging alcoholics. I don't know how they do it, I know I wish I could. Must be wired different is all I can think.
I am 59 and have smoked since I was 15. Last Monday, the 28th of June, I had the first of two stents placed in my heart. I smoked a cigarette before I walked into the hospital and now, 9 days later, I haven't even considered digging through the garbage looking for a smokable butt. I guess for some of us, we have to have the $hit scared out of us before we really do it.
I did make one promise to myself which was that I will never allow myself to become one of those obnoxious, self-righteous ex-smokers! I know about the addiction, I know that nicotine is one, if not THE, most difficult of substances to quit, I know what it feels like to try and quit and fail time after time. In the past few years, I have found out what it feels like to be a leper in our society, I'm angry that every time our state needed more money, it was the smokers who got taxed the hardest. Someday the smell of smoke may really turn me off, maybe I will stand by a smoker and think they smell bad.........but I hope like hell I will remember when I was the smoker and keep my mouth shut.
Sorry for the rant...........at least it kept me from smoking about 5 cigarettes! Now if I could stop reaching for my cell phone like it's my pack of smokes.................
Greenlydia        
Congrats on day 9! Most of us have had something happen to us, health-wise and thankfully we are the ones that will live and be here for those who haven't had bad news yet.
I hope you recover frm your surgery quickly. Hopefully the heal will be quicker now that you are an ex-smoker : )
I too was one of those who couldn't just have one and I know a few that only smoke at weddings or while having a few drinks and I can't tell you how many times I coveted them ; )
Quitting was the best and hardest thing I have ever done and I can honestly say that I have never felt better! You will too, soon, if you already don't.
I'm here if you need an ear or to rant : )
Kathy Jo
2 yrs., 9 mos. and 22,062 smokes I haven't smoked!
Well hey Greenie!   Wow, so sorry about the stents!  You must be scared.  Congrats on the quit, however.  I'm not sure from your post if you've completely quit, but I do hope so.  I would think sometimes something like this where you're Forced to quit could cause resentment.  I don't know, that's a little of how I feel, anyway.  I'm 72 days today and know without a doubt I was headed for disaster if I didn't quit smoking, but was I completely ready?...I thought so, but now I'm finding I'm having these ridiculous thoughts of envy about smokers who are young and can just smoke without a care...for now.  Just dumb thoughts.  

You will certainly heal faster without smoking, that's for sure.  You'll feel much better too - maybe not right away - it took 45days for the increase in anxiety to back off and 65 days for the hot flashes to ease up, but it's all coming together - you just have to be patient and tell yourself the w/d will not last forever.  

Good luck, hon!!!!!!!!
Geez.........it's like a reunion! The three of us go back a few years! I often wonder how some of the other "old timers" are doing?

The stent business WAS a massive wake up call, when both the cardiologist and the cardiothoracic surgeon said I was a heart attact just waiting to happen, there was a major shift in my thinking.
When I got out of the hospital the next day, normally the first thing I would have done is light up. What blew me away is that we were almost home, a one hour drive, and I realized I hadn't even so much as thought about a cigarette. Then I figured that just the relief of having the first procedure over and getting out of the hospital and being tired had kept me from thinking about smoking but now the real hard craving would begin. But it didn't. And 13  totally smoke free days later, I still have no diesire to smoke. Well, I DO get urges, but they are very weak and go away very quickly. I can go for hours and not even think about a cigarette. Nobody will ever know just how amazing that is for me. I was one hell of a hard core smoker, I loved my cigarettes, both packs I smoked every day. I was not ready to quit when this heart business came out of left field. It was my plan to have these procedures and go right back to smoking.........I mean, I'd be "fixed," right, good to keep smoking for many more years. I really am not sure what happened. Obviously between walking into the hospital and walking out 24 hours later, I had had some sort of epiphany. Don't recall a bolt of lightening hitting me, I just know that I'm done smoking and on a 1-10 scale of how difficult it's been, 2 is the very worst. Every other time I've tried to quit, I started out at 10 and it would just keep climbing until I was out of my mind from the w/d.........the urge would hit but it never went away, it just kept growing and getting stronger.
Like I said, I'm not positive what's different about this time, but I think what may have happened is that I chose life over the train that heading straight at me.

Thank you both for your words of congrats and encouragment and I hope you are both very proud of yourselves! I am.
I go in on the 16th for the second stent, so that will be a good reinforcement. And don't worry, if I ever feel myself growing weak or tempted, I'll be on this forum like a cheap suit.
Love you both my friends
Greenie    
Well then big huge Congrats on day 13!!!!  Whoo Hoo!!!  You sound so positive and sure about this.  Right on, you!!

Shhh...don't question *why*...you might scare it away, lol.  Maybe call it divine intervention?  

Good luck on the 16th!!

My husband and I have decided to quit smoking.  He left for a business trip and absolved not to smoke while he is away and has quit for 2 weeks cold turkey.  He was smoking about 1/2 a pack a day.  I smoked about 7-10 a day.  I tried Chantix and had a bad reaction to it, so I had to stop taking it.  I did really good on the Chantix.  Since off of it I still want a puff of two a day.  I have a cigar (I used to enjoy these occasionally before I smoked cigarettes) I'll take a puff or two, then I'm done for the day.  The strongest urges are at night when "the day is done".  Its a release for me too.  I really don't want to be smoking when he gets back and I have like 2 - 3 more weeks before he gets home.  I don't want my smoking to impact his success, and I want to support our decision but its really hard.  I'm open to some suggestions!
I'm with you my friend. I smoke 1 a day or one every other day. I don't get addicted to things very easily. I know this is almost 3 years in the future from when you first posted that question. I can drink like crazy with folks and then not drink for months until another chug fest, or simply just a beer.... BUT!

Before I started smoking 1 a day or every other day, I'd run a mile a day. I clocked my times. Before smoking I was able to clock in late 4 minute runs. After just the simple switch to smoking once a day or even every other day, I'd try just as hard if not harder, and clock mid 5 minutes. Couldn't break the 5 minute mark.

I dunno! Thats all I've got to go by! But I'm not an athlete, and I sell insurance for a living, so I really just like to relax after a stressfull day.

- Jake
Not harmful at all. My grandfather smoked just one cigarette a day all his life. After dinner he would drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette and read his newspaper.
No matter what, your still causing slight harm to yourself. If you smoke around any others, your causing harm to them too. I teach tobacco education to youth :) we learned a lot of the chemicals that they use in cigarettes and what other house hold items you can find them in. Cigarettes contain chemicals that are used in things such as rat poison, nail polish remover, penny's, car exhaust, jet fuel, batteries, and etc. Theres way over hundreds of mixed chemicals in them, and lite cigarettes arent any different. The only difference is the size of the holes for inhaling in them, there slightly smaller. I always tell all this information to my family and friends when they want to quit, usually get kinda disguisted out knowing what kind of things there putting into there bodies. Thought i would share :)
Sometimes fanaticism overcomes common sense. No, one cigarette will not harm you, nor will it harm others. Compare one cigarette with inhaling the pollution of traffic. No comparison, but this kind of pollution is not on anyone's agenda because no one is going to go cold turkey on driving. Also consider the organophosphates in building venting system. Consider the poisons sprayed on our food plants. One cigarette? Hah!!!
I am 42, i started smoking at 12...i was a heaiver smokier in my teens, and then cut it down to a half a pack a day smoker after my son was born when i was 20...by 31 i attempted my first real quit....i lasted 9 months straight-and then i cheated, but for 4 years i only smoked on average 5 cigaretttes a day...when i as about 36 i attempted again to try to quit for good-but failed after about 1 year...then attempted again at 39...for about 3 years now-i basically cheat when i am out with friends having a drink or two...or more...and when i get stressed, i might cheat on a lunch hour with one cigarette, not smoking the whole thing...maybe half...i tried buying cigarettes that taste bad to help- curb the appetite of smoking...it is so hard...but if i don't drink say for a month, i can go a month, but then i'm hanging with the girls and the bad girl gene comes out again...so here i am again, attempting to never smoke again...and hoping it works...so afraid of the "C" word...and the kicker is i have worked out continuously since i'm 18 years old, i eat right, no fatty foods, watch what i consume - drink plenty of water...oh but hey-the moron that I continue to be still will reach for the occasional cigarette...is there anyone else that is the same as me out there?  Why can't i just say no totally?  If i can go weeks without it and feel fine...why would i need a few with some drinks...because it's like a glove...they go together...i hate that i can't walk away from this habit...but i am really going to try harder this time.            
Yes, I also try to have only one a day. I have found that when I quit out right I will fail after a few months and go back to regular smoking. By cutting back so dramatically my intake has been much less over the last few years than that of those previous - even though I spent a great deal of them as a non smoker.
It is true that this may lead to smoking more at times of stress. However it also makes it a lot easier to go back to only smoking one. If it's a question of cutting yourself off completely it becomes a massive event psychologically and we create barriers. I am 25, fit and healthy. I can go through months of smoking abstinance, but enjoy the odd cigarette occasionally and find that I smoke less in the long run by taking this approach.
I hope that you will quit smoking :D it is still harmful even if you smoke just one per day.
I'm 17 female I have athsma and I smoke at least one smoke a day, am I in a real risk in getting lung cancer
Surprised you already haven't gotten it! Just playing.. :) And no, smoking doesn't cause cancer when you have asthama. smoking causes cancer well.. when you smoke! You probably will end up with cancer because you smoke.. not because you smoke and have asthama. Kick the addiction out of your life. You're just 17 :-)
My daughter is so much in love with this Michael Stipe of R.E.M. The rock band and she started smoking two years ago just because he did and she tells me "Mom michael stipe has been smoking and he's 51 yrs ol now and he sings really good because he smokes natural tabacoo instead" What! I'm thinking how is this guy twists her little head around. Any advice out there for a mom who has to deal with a love sick smoking daughter?
Hello I am smoking 2 cigarettes from last 21 yrs ...and I keep count of them per year and never exceeds more than 750-800 cigarettes per year...Believe it or not and I run daily for 25 min followed by two sets of 25 push ups...and some yoga..I am 40 now.
I too only smoke 1 cig a day or less and I don't directly inhale, but "french inhale" which I think results in even less of normal exposure.
I just like to have about 5 min. of peace-and-quiet and I love the smell. BTW, I also run, hike and life an active lifestyle...
I have been a smoker for 12 years I decided to stop after I had my baby I went to the smoking clinic were they put me on patchis I managed 4 days without a smoke but then stress and boardam took over so I had 1 cig and to say I smoked 15 to 20 a day I'd say that's pritty good for me soo if you can manage to cut down that much then goood on you keep it up Xxxxxxxxxxxxmwaha
Use to smoke 15 t 20 a day been stoped now for 2 weeks with the help ov patchis and have to say they are graitttt erm nd now everytym I smell my partner or anybody else that smokes I have to say it puts me to shame how bad I aktually must ov smelt I quit for my 1yr old daughta nd that's wats helped meee keeep it upxxx
I have read all the comments and yes i know it is very hard for some of you to beleive, but there are people who smoke 1 cigarette a day, myself included.  it took me a very long time to cut down to this from my height at smoking 3 packs a day at age 18. i know for a fact that cutting back has helped me out, along with exercise.  i know i should totally quit,  but sometimes you have a bad day and your mind has habituated itself permanently to associate a cigarette with stress releif.

i think people who smoke one a day should be commened and encouraged.  dont tell someome who smokes one a day, that its just as bad as a pack a day. it makes people like us who are making a real effort to quit feel depressed and like we hold out all day for nothing.  a good support system is the best way to quit smoking.  during the day, i always tell non smokers about my urges to smoke.  just talking to them helps me not want a cigarette, because all non smokers have the same reaction to the thought of a cigarette, and are quite militant about their nonsmoking status.  

to anyone who has cut down to just 1 a day, CONGRATULATIONS and keep up the good work!  make zero the goal and keep at it
Im 17 years old, and I'm getting addicted to smoking. I really want to quit, because as you guys have said it will only cause many sickness worse is death, I can't seem to control it because you know my friends are smokers and they love to drink and then smoke a lot. So it's on my community and it happened that I was also influenced. So how do I stop it?
I think smoking one a day is harmful. That's 31 a month. Or 365 a year. It's harmful no matter how much you smoke.
I agree, my one ciggi a day led back to my 1 packet a day over aperiod of a year, I wish the one a day could have been. but 14 days  and I havnt had a puff. I want one every time I socialize because that was my  trigger.
I lost all my upper teeth due to gum disease associated with smoking. every day I struggle with eating  with plastic on the roof of my mouth.
I guess people forget about oral cancer and how ugly you look on the outside with out teeth and half your jaw bone missing. 1 day is certianly as dangerous as a pack a day. you are just not getting as mush tar so quickly but you rblood is till clotting and rotting your gums.
Here's how you stop - don't have a cigarette.  When you want one, don't have one.  The cravings only really last for a few minutes.  After  a few days they're not so bad.  Nicotine will be out of your body in 2 or  3 weeks.  After that its all psycological.  You might as well stop now.  Every day you smoke - it gets harder to quit.  I'm 36 and recently quit.  I can't believe I smoked until I was 36.  So stupid.  I remember smoking cigarettes in the boys room in high school....believe me it goes quick.  

So there's only 2 options really - 1 is you smoke and dont' ever quit you literally smoke until you die - which will then happen much sooner b/c you smoke (not to mention you will probably live for years in misery with serious health issues from smoking which is almost worse then dieing) and #2 - you stop smoking.  If you stop smoking the question is when?  When you are 25, 30, 40, 50?  Who knows when it is too late.  And what is the point really?  Is it actually 'enjoyable' - no, it just gives you the nicotine you need b/c you started smoking and injected nicotine into your body.  

Once I finally realized this it has been easy to quit, actually enjoyable.  I'm not a slave to cigarettes anymore.  If you keep a good attitude it will be easy for you to quit too.  Be happy and excited you quit and feel bad for those people who didn't yet.  Nicotine is a drug just like any other drug - when you think about it its really unnatural and unnecessary.  
Why bother? Your smoking will go up, believe me, it's very addictive. It's gay
How is smoking homosexual?  Grow up or don't comment, we don't need to be subjected to your immature attitude.
You know, I have been wondering the same thing and I smoke one a day as well.  I get tired of people saying "it will only lead to more..." blah blah blah....I am sure that is the case with many other people, but I have never had problems with addictions or over-indulging.  I am very good at enjoying things in moderation (food, alcohol, cigarettes), but I understand others have that genetic propensity towards addiction which makes this difficult.  I have one cigarette a day at the end of the day and have NO DESIRE AT ALL to have more.  Am I really being that unrealistic?
I was there just months ago and now im triing to deside if I am still considered to be a smoker with just a puff a day mayb two off a friends smoke?I hate smokin and its becaus I cant breathe when I sleep I've been quittin since jan. 2.It was almost two packs a day and now just puffs a day,its been a long road,I started smokin when I was 11 and 42 now I seeing the problem with smoking,lol, wished I would hav listened to my elders on this one and never started smokin.......
i am smoking frm last 5 yrs bt in my case i hve smoked in many circumstances .. i hve started at de age of 13 i smoked den 14 i smoked den 15  i left fr 6 months den 17 i started nd nw am addicted ,.. btwn 18-19 i smoked 4 cig a day nd nw m smoking 2-3 max cigrtes a day help me i really wanna quit nd is it possible fr me to quit  ???
i had stopped Smoking for 2 months, then suddenly when i was in a pub there were a lot of smokers after seeing them i came out of there, but when i was standing outside a Retard Moron came beside me and started smoking and when the smoke which he exhaled touch my nose(i became a sniffer and went to a nearby Shop to buy a cigerratte but it was closed and i begged for a cigerrete with one of the morons smoking and started to smoke regularly. Recently when i went to nearby hospital to see my friend who met with an accident, just beside his room i saw a Cancer Research Hall where i saw a Black Rubber like thing kept in the Glass Jar. I asked the Doctor who was there in the room, "What the Hell is that" 0o he said its the Heart of a smoker. after seeing that whenever i try to smoke i get Vommit and i throw it away now i am lighting a Cigerrette but not inhaling or smelling Just watching to to Burn. it makes me feel happy. Now i found a E Ciggerette which was bought by one of friend and it is free all the Cancer Causing Chemicals, Tar, Tobacco, Smell, Burn, Smoke and Nicotine Free. Try this its effective.
Guys from 19th May i've stopped smoking using the best thearapy Cold Turkey. After a Heavy smoking for 6 yrs, now i am successful. I am thankfull to my friend Vineet. It was really horrible for me first two days, but after that i was habituated i am standing with smoker and covering my Nose with Towel and watching him. The smokers(My Few Friends they are learning from me) this way i am helping them too.
Is this going to kill me soon?
How did u quit i started smoking when I was 13 I am now 24 and nothing seems 2 wrk for me I tried not smoking for the whole day but as it came to night time I was smoking on after another covering up for the whole days worth of ciggarettes
SweatStop antiperspirants against excessive sweating enable to live a normal and more balanced life, without sweat.
i Smoke 1 cigRAte of weel fRom lASt 2 yeARS hw hARmfull it iS foR me i m of 16
i Smoke 1 cigRAte of week fRom lASt 2 yeARS hw hARmfull it iS foR me i m of 16
hey everyone! Im 14 and smoke around 4-6 cigarettes everyday... I stared to get scared about it and stuff..... Im a secret smoker.... I lie awake until 1 in the morning and smoke around 3, during the day the other 1-2. Am i addicted?? Please i need advice.... Most of my family are smokers but... I cant tell them or anyone...
I would say you are addicted especially if you stay awake to go secretly smoke. I was your way when I was 17, my dad hated smoking. It increasing went up when I went to college because I had freedom to do it whenever I wanted. And now at 29, I am struggling to quit. I wish I could go back to my 17 year old self and slap the cigarette right out of my mouth but since I can't I have to deal with it and it is hard. I wish I had done it a long time ago but I got my scare last Monday when I went to the doctor and had bronchitis. He told me if I didn't give up smoking that I could get COPD and the way I felt at that moment would be how I was feel everyday for the rest of my life. It was the first time I really wanted to quit and it has been a struggle and I will almost wonder if I had just gave it up when I had just started would it have been easier.
I smoke one a day with my glass of wine.  I quit for 5 years then wanted to have a cigarette when I had some drinks.  I never smoke without my glass of wine and sometimes go days or even weeks without.  I figured I inhale more smoke in my backyard fire than the cigarettes add up to.  I also smoke organic additive free tobacco which they save isn't a safer cigarette but I think it's better than the cigs with 300 additives.   BUT I still worry about getting lung cancer, I obviously have anxiety issues.