Smoking Addiction Community
118 days off nicotine

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

118 days off nicotine

I quit cold turkey after learning that I have moderate Emphysema. I went to two different docs and was told the same thing both times. Strange tho, cause I do not have symptoms. Anyway, regardless of any of that I will be going into 2009 smoke free and is the first New Year in 35 years that I do not have to make a resolution to quit.  I was around someone the other day that was smoking in close proximity to me and I actually felt sick to my stomach after being exposed to it. Hmmm, never thought that would ever happen!  But I do no this.  If I could do it then so can you.  I was a 2 plus pack a day for about 35 years. It was relatively easy once I realized that I could choose to breathe or smoke but not both. With gods help, I will keep that committment for life. Merry Christmas all!
Amen Teko!!
Congratulations on 118 days! Absolutely wonderful!
i have been trying to quit smoking since the day i lite my first cig back in 66. i would be 27 before i would smoke a full pack. or felt any cravings. i have worn the patch, been hypotised, tried the gum, the candy. been to stop smoking school 3 times. nothing has worked so far. i even read the book by someone that i felt after i read it and did'nt quit i never would. and i did'nt. this time i'will try again does anyone have any suggesrtion thank you coleen
Hi Coleen. Unfortunately there aren't any sure bets, but I did quit using Chantix and I never, ever beilieved I would be able to. I smoked for 38 yrs. and I was pretty hard core. When my doctor prescribed the pill, I really didn't believe in it, but thought, why not try. I was very surprised to find that, in the end, I had lost all of my cravings.
A suggestion.........read the materials at whyquitdotcom and really prepare yourself for what to expect.
Remember who's the boss and also remember that even though we think of smokes as "stress relieving" that are actually the opposite.

Post here often, especially when you get an urge, and by the time you finish writing, your urge will have passed.
We will support you. We have all been or are in your shoes so we know what it's like : )

Good luck Coleen.
Sincerely,  Kathy
hey kathy, i had forgoten to mention that i also tried the chantix. because i'm on a anti-depressant i had a bad reaction to the chantix.

my real issue here is to go cold turkey or taper. my history of success is taper.but with smoking i think i'd have to have some sort of aid.

my husband quit , used the patch 1 week and has'nt smoked in 3 years.

my personality is different. i have anxiety issues. it's ingraded in my mind the thde cig takes away the anxiety. i've just researched this. smoking in fact causes anxiety. i never looked at it that way. i smoked to get rid of headaches only to find out smoking causes headaches. i smoked to help go to sleep only to find out smoking keeps you awake.

now i'm figuring there's more side effects to smoking then there are withdraws.

my life is calming down so i hope after the hoildays i can get this started

thankyou for your post
Before Chantix, the doctors were prescribing Welbutrin with some success. You might want to ask your physician about it and see if you are a candidate.
I think that most long term smokers have anxiety/stress issues. I don't know why or how we got to the point of believing that smoking was the answer, but I assure you, having quit, it is absolutely false.
Having attempted to quit a few times before, I also know that weaning sounds like the best way, but unfortunately for me, it didn't work for long. I hope you have better luck, but in the end, the best way to do it is cold turkey.
Read the articles at whyquitdotcom and really prepare yourself for it. You have to really, really want to quit, and when you get to that point, you will, have faith : )
Kathy Jo

I also had severe anxiety issues. I quit and then got paxil from my doctor. Worked great. I am still on it and it is a life saver. If you are on anti depressants now, speak to your doctor about an increased dose or even a change to something else that covers anxiety. Also come here and to whyquit.com and get support as it is probably the most important tool.