Smoking Addiction Community
ANGER

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

ANGER

Is anger normal during withdrawal from nicotine? I quit for 48 hours and only because of severe anger I smoked 1 more pack and now am again into my 2nd day without cigs.

I think I can keep the anger under control just wonder if it is a normal symptom?
Everything is considered normal in the first couple of days of a quit : ) We all feel so many different feelings; some cry a lot, some can't get out of bed and then there are those who are angry, any and every emotion is considered normal. Also, every quit is different so if you didn't feel that way last time, it doesn't mean that what you are feeling now isn't normal.
Hang in there and focus on all of those positive things. Try to take long walks and fill your lungs with some fresh, crisp air.

Since you have quit before you know about whyquit.com. Read the articles and try to understand your addiction and what makes you go back. In the catergory of "Why do people continue to smoke" there are 16 articles, all of them powerful and a few of them will speak directly to you....they did to me!
Hey bos, glad to see you trying again.  Good for you!!  From my perspective, I would have to say anger is normal when quitting smoking.  I think my anxiety amps up which makes it difficult to deal with everyday things in a reasonable manner so anger seems to take over my life.  I deal with this by walking every day which seems to help shake off some of the extra anxiety.  Have you tried incorporating a multi-vitamin as well as specifically, B-12?  I am using the B-12 this time and I do think it's helping.  You might consider it.

Now you've done this before.  Can't you say with all honesty, you felt better physically when you didn't smoke?  Did smoking help ANY with your current issues?  Of course, the answer is no, but I do understand how hard it is to keep your eye on the prize during those really stressful times.  All you can do is try again, which you are doing so let me congratulate you on day 2!!!!  

We are here for you, bosnianworrier...you know that :)
Thank you both. Your support does mean a lot to me.

I am now again 3 days smoke free. I can control my anger because I know what is causing it and I calm down.

Kathyjo I will read those articles because I didn't explore that website completely.

Jade59. To answer your questions, not only that smoking makes me feel worse physically but mentally as well. Vast majority of people who smoke feel relaxed after they have a cig but in my case it is the opposite. I get paraesthesia, fear, anxiety etc, yet cravings made me smoke despite all.

But I have to beat these first couple of weeks "blues".
Sorry to say this but it is true im in the same situation it has been a whole week since i quit after having bronchitis which i just got over i decided it was time to give up and a week in ive notice high anger levels, very quick tempered if someone rubs me the wong way or put me in a negitive situation, very low patience, manipulative, selffish and reckless, made my a real ******* for awhile to be honest, defently not my self, i try to control my self but ive said and done stuff with out thinking, in the past when ive atempted to decline having a smoke for a day of two then something wong in my life would play n my mind and id felf funny and wanted to lash out at someone harshly or do something destructive but then having a afew puffs on a cig would calm me down and make me think twice its a vicious cycle and now im trying fight it, messed up i know but things happen.
Hello. I just wanted to thank you for your honesty. Not many people admit to how hard it is to quit. I quit December 2008 and it was the hardest thing I had ever done to date. I did it cold Turkey because I did not want to get addicted to anything else. I went through the wanna fight state for the first two months. I am a lucky woman that my hubby loves me or I would have lost him. There is a place on the internet called Quitnet.com I went there and they took me through the hard times. You can pay or just be there for free. I chose to pay, a few more items of help. It has been almost three and a half years for me smoke free. Not one puff. The anger does subside after your brain says no to the nicotine. Trust me and keep your quit. Be Well Troii
Hi there, I'm on day 15 quitting smoking. I have lost count the amont of times I have tried before. Been smoking 35 years and recently diagnosed with cronic (chronic) bronchiestis after visting the docs and having a chest x-ray showing that my right side lung blocked with tar. I am still coughing out the mucus and slowly breathing better. But man do I lose it with short busrt of temper punching walls doors etc...I am using patches and it does'nt seem to get any better. I dont have a choice but not to put another fag in my gob.It's a simple has that. I have been put on antibiotics and an inhaler to clear the lungs.. I might be 50 in age but life at 70 I guess. I hope the anger issues will pass soon Paul