Smoking Addiction Community
Bleeding Gums

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Bleeding Gums

Has anyone quit smoking and then had their gums bleed all of a sudden?  I heard it was possible but I was just wondering if anyone experienced it.
Can't say that I had that happen to me but I had a lot of other stuff : )
Maybe you should ask your physician, just in case.
Good luck!
---
2m 3w 4:00 smoke-free, 1,807 cigs not smoked, $433.68 saved, 6d 6:35 life saved
Thanks for your help...I was just asking for a friend. She mentioned it to me and I thought it was strange.  I used to smoke...I still do very very seldom...usually with a drink. I am not a big drinker.  But anyways..I used to smoke and its never happend to me.  And where or how did you figure out all those facts from stopping smoking? How much you saved and all that?  My mom stopped smoking like 6 months ago and her fiance has be smoke free for 4 yrs.  And I would like to pass that on...thanks again
Maybe you are pregnant. That's a common thing in pregnancy.
No..I am asking for a friend. And I know thats a common thing in pregnancy.  But I can run that by her. Thanks.
Nicotine constricts blood vessals, in essence "drying out" your gums.  When you quit smoking, these veins start to open up again, and may bleed.  I had bleeding gums, blood in nostrils, slight pain in ears, plus some...sinus pain...aches and pains everywhere, forehead,base of skull... awful.
Wow...my friend I am asking for said that someone said about the "drying out" of the gums.  I guess that makes alot of sense.  Thank you.
It's a very common thing in people who have quit the cigarettes. It is a sign that the gums are starting to heal themselves from all those years of poison!  When one smokes, the nicotine decreases the immune response within your gums. As a result, you may have plaque bacteria causing damage to your gums and surrounding bone, without the warning signs of bleeding gums. As you stop the smoking, the immune system in that area returns to normal, but is exaggerating its response for a few weeks. Any plaque bacteria will cause a major bleed in your gums until things even out. Keep your teeth and gums as clean as you can, and get your dentist to clean them as well as possible to remove debris that you cannot via normal brushing.
Sounds silly, but this is your gums' way of "thanking you" for giving up smoking, as it returns to normal!
YES! The side effects of nicotine gum chewing is: gum diseases, swelling and itching of gums, itching, tooth and hair loss, plus a host of others like ringing in the ears, high blood pressure, etc. I know this to be true because - after quiting smoking - and chewing "nicotine gum" only for a short time my gums became - like overnight - sensitive, "puffy" and bleed easily. I'm a person who is meticulous about my teeth and gums and began researching only to discover the direct - documented - connection with nicotine gum and my new "teeth/gum issues.  Hopefully I will be able to reverse it without going through oral surgery. Only time will tell and I'm giving myself 3 months.
-apple cider vinegar will help with the detox
-it will also remove plaque
-can also take hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash as it will add oxygen to the gums and remove unwanted bacteria
-make sure to rince after using it as you do not want to damage the enamle