Smoking Addiction Community
CHANTIX

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

CHANTIX

Anyone use Chantix to stop smoking if so did it help were there side affects?
  • Chantix (3 replies):
    Hello everyone: I have a question. I am taking Loratabs ...[more]
  • Chantix/Effexor (6 replies):
    I am on Effexor and plan on quitting smoking again. I'v...[more]
  • any ideas (12 replies):
    hi i quit smokin after nearly 20 years with a few false ...[more]
  • what is chantix (1 replies):
    hi sorry to be ignorant but what is chantix? i live in n...[more]
  • Chantix (3 replies):
    Hi All, A while back there was a paramedic on here who ...[more]
My hubby used that stuff to quit when he found out that he was going to die soon due to COPD.
It worked for him...but he quit taking it before he was supposed to...he started up again.

Now he has to start all over again.
The only side effects he had were the typical ones when trying to quit...insomnia, restlessness.

He said that the first few days he felt nothing...then a few days after that he just didn't have the desire to smoke. He kept smoking because that's what it says to do in the package...it says to set a date ( when you reach the higher dosage stage ) and quit on that day...so that's what he did.
He said that the worst part was trying to find something else to do when he was taking a "smoke break"...so he used mints.

I need to find a way to quit before he starts up on the Chantix again.
I can't take them because I was depressed once upon a time...and they say that you shouldn't take them if you have ever been depressed.
Hello! I was also concerned about the depression and the Chantix affecting me, but my doctor said that the likelyhood of feeling suicidal or more depressed is quite remote, so I decided to give it a try and would quit if I felt awful. I know of a few people who used it and actually claimed to have become "homicidal" and felt extremely angry and violent. Both of these individuals were very, very heavy drinkers, and I am certain that is why Chantix affected them that way. I did start taking it as prescribed, smoked the first week, stopped when my dose went up to 2 pills per day, and have had zero cigs in two months! The withdrawal was completely psychological and the urges to smoke only lasted about 5 minutes. The side effects I experienced were bad nausea if I didn't eat enough before taking it, and swollen, tender breasts. I already have vivid dreams, so didn't notice any difference there. I've been lucky with it. My advice to you, if you haven't already tried it, would be to try it, and if you start to feel more depressed, or suicidal, stop taking it. You have more to gain than to lose, but might consider another alternative to Chantix if you consume more than 3 alcoholic beverages per day. I would hate for anyone to go through what these others did. It didn't sound pleasant! Best wishes for success!