Smoking Addiction Community
Craving from Hell

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Craving from Hell

I endured a craving that lasted over an hour today. I was told they only last for a few minutes. I had some changes at work, being Friday the kids were on their "best" behavior. I stayed after work because I didn't want to get in my car. 20 minutes later, no reprieve, I got in my car, took out my cell phone and called everyone I could think of. After getting a hold of someone, I talked to them until I got home. I was afraid I would stop at the store. WHAT IS THIS? A one hour craving??? I was chewing my gum like there was no end to it. I breathed. The biggest, I paniced. I want a blackberry so I can post or read posts when I need to. It was nuts. I have 19 days today. I am so happy to be away from this incidious habit. I was willing to throw it all away for one quick "fix". I've been on medhelp ever since I've walked in the door. This site is my meeting, my place to be real and truthful, my accountability.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
~El
Tags: cravings, changes, hard time, help
Just keep up the deep breathing, El.  Stay here on the forums.  Whatever it takes to get through the next minute.  I remember with my first quit how the cravings seemed to last and last.  I couldn't get the thought out of my head.  That's why I started to cheat with my quit and suddenly, instead of having a year clean, I started smoking again.  Don't let this be you.  Don't let the addiction to nicotine win.  You are stronger than that little cigarette.  Right?  

Let me tell you what an inspiration you've been to me.  Feb1st came and went and due to new stressful situations in my life, I wasn't able to keep my quit date.  I have been reading your posts and your journals.  Sorry not to have responded, but have wrist problems and haven't been able to type much.  But I've been reading your words and I've actually felt jealous of you and your clean time, lol.   You have been so positive and so happy!  I want that too and I'm going to need your support here soon, so stay strong for yourself and your daughter and all the other people on this awesome forum who will need your words of encouragement.

You're doing just great El.  19 days.  That's AWESOME.

I wonder if you've considered downloading a meter like Kathy Jo did?  I'm going to do that because I think a visual of my progress will be really helpful.  Something to look forward to.  Kathy Jo just hit what, 10,000 not smoked or some incredible number.  I think that would be exciting to look forward to.  Or any number for that matter.  : )

I'm rooting for you, Sherry!!  
Congrats on 19 days!
Congrats on not giving in to your craving and for having the tools to keep yourself smoke free! You did it El and the length of the crave, well, perhaps it was mostly the panic that made it last so long? I know panic....suffered many years with attacks but my seem to subside as my quit progressed.  Could it be that Friday is the end of the week and the smoke on the way home always signified the start of your relaxation time? Once you work yourself into a frenzy it is so difficult to calm yourself : (
Two of my friends were talking about a yoga class that they recently attended. I've been thinking about joining it too. We could all use a "place" to go to when we are at our wits end.
It really does get so much easier as the time passes so just keep that in mind. Just know you have our support and if you need me, you can p.m. me anytime : )

Hang in there El!
Sorry El.  Looks like I completely misinterpreted your post.  Thought you were having the craving NOW.  Looks like it was earlier and you got through it.  Good Girl!!

Backing off the smokes myself.  Feeling shaky and concentration is clearly becoming a challenge....
Thank you for all the support and inspirations. I made it through day 19 and woke up to day 20. I will be home today which allows me peace and quiet. I plan on doing some relection today, spend time with loved ones, holding my dog.
Hi! Hope you are doing better. I know what you mean. In my early quit they said cravings would only last a few minutes and guess what? they lasted a hour for me to. I thought I was crazy. But just remember this shell pass. Take it minute by minute.And you are doing the right thing by letting us know how you feel. Hang in there ok.Trust me it does get better! hugs  Jill Way to go!!! day 20. there adding up!! you can do it!!!!!!!!

PS.. Chewing on straws,eating carrots etc helped me gave my hands something to do.