Smoking Addiction Community
Day 9 with bad insomnia...anyone else?

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Day 9 with bad insomnia...anyone else?

So I am on day 9 and still have not given in.  I'm feeling pretty proud of myself right now..lol.   However, I am having an awful time with insomnia.  It's been a few nights  in a row now.  I fall asleep ok, but am waking up at 1 or 2am and can't get back to sleep.  I'm exhausted.  I spoke to a Dr. I work with and she said this is a common symptom when we are detoxing from any addictive substance, so I am hoping it will soon pass.  Anyone else going through this?
with me its a constant and actually better when not smoking. are you wearing patch? that could be keeping you awake, in the past when wearing one I would have to remove it at night.
the doctor is right tho, detoxing will give us all sorts of bodily issues...mine is INCREASED constipation....ugg.
but good for you Day 9, wonderful!!!!
I think all these issues are the bodies way of trying to trick us into thinking we need to smoke in order to function...:((
days 7 through 9 were the worst for me!  i didnt sleep for a week, about an hour or two a night if i was lucky, it does pass though, just push through! im on one month and 2 weeks now! im starting to feel normal again, some headaches and when i work out really hard i feel the methadone leaving my system but its very bearable. Just dont forget that you CAN do it. great job on day 9!!! your almost there!!
congrats to you too!!!! you quit smoking and methadone both at the same time? my gosh that takes alot of strength and willpower....anything is possible if we want to bad enough....:))
Not this time, A, but only because I had upped my evening med just a little to get over the hump, but I sure do remember other quits and the insomnia that came with them. You might try some Melatonin or Valarian Root, see if that helps you sleep all night.  

Because it's been sooo long since I used an NRT, I am not completely sure, but I think Opus is right in you should take the patch off at night if you're wearing it during sleep.  And since both you and Opus are using the patch, it just goes to show the effect all those added poisonous chemicals have on a persons body, eh?  

Thank you too, for sharing the answers you're receiving from both your colleague and therapist.  I especially liked the 3days, 3wks, 3mos thing.  I've had a strong craving since yesterday, and while I am in between 3wks and 3mos, I am going to assume it's because there is a '3' in my days quit. lol

Congrats on day 9, honey!  You're doing fantastic!  
Thanks for the pat on the back and just talking to me.  Sharing our experiences helps me so very much, I hope it does the same for you!

We can do this!!  I just keep telling myself that.  I'll tell you, that one day at a time approach sure helps.  The thought of never having another cigarette is stressful, so I just take it day by day, promising myself every morning that today i will not smoke.  I can see why so many use this approach to addiction.

I am lucky to work with Dr.'s, nurses, addiction specialists and such.  I feel like I am constantly stopping them in the hallway with questions..lol.  

You ladies are doing great as well...lets keep going cause we can do this!!
Yes, it does help tremendously.  I don't work, so home all day alone with my thoughts and cravings...which weren't too bad until the last few days ago for some reason.  It is a huge help to know I am not alone!  And A, don't forget to take those deep breathes throughout the day.  I just did...and coughed up some more phlegm (so thankful for spellcheck, as I can Never remember how to spell phlegm with all the silent letters, lol).    
A, I forgot to mention 'Alteril' for sleep.  It is an all natural sleep aid you can find at any drug store.  It has both melatonin and Valarian in it, along with L-tryptophan and other herbs.  It's a good product.  

Sweet dreams tonight (hopefully).  
Thanks.  I actually took an over the counter sleep aid and slept from 8:30 llast night until I got up for work.  Was still groggy, so texted my boss that I needed a day off and went back to bed until 10am.  Hubby got our son off to school and just let me sleep.  Got bad news today.  The precancerous condition I had surgery for 2 years ago is back, and at stage 4 (I had a biopsy 2 and 1/2 weeks ago).  So surgery again end of March. It is stage 4 precancer, not full blown, so this is not life threatening, but yet 1 more reason to stay off the cigarettes.  It's not the type necessarily caused by smoking, but my Dr. told me it can advance it.  I'm so done.
well I'm glad you got a good nights sleep hon...but sure not happy to hear the bad news, at stage 4 even a precancer is scary and yup a wake up call to the destruction these damn things have on our bodies..this will be another tough time for you, b/c even with the disgust we feel for these cigarettes you will find the craving even harder when stressed, I know I sure do, thats been the reason behind each of my relapses.....

I soooo want to say I'm done too....I can't be that positive yet, I want to be, but I can't....I hope for you this really is so over, and I hope that conviction will one day be there for me too.  

Stay strong my dear, and for goodness sake never lose sight of the fact of how much you are loved and respected here on MH, and how much we are all pulling for you...for both fights♥
Oh A, so very sorry to hear of your stage 4 precancer issue.  I will be keeping you in my prayers.  Most Dr's nowadays will not perform surgery until the patient is smoke-free for at least a month, as smoking impedes healing.  I ended up in the hospital for 5days in 07 for stomach ulcers, and was grateful I hadn't smoked for over 5mos so I could heal faster, AND, no worries about whether I had any cigs with me, or needing to drag my IV outside to smoke, etc..  It was such a relief to not even think about it!

And what Opus said was true; the longer we are clean, the easier it is to revert when we are overly stressed.  You just have to be done in your mind and heart, and that's that!  It sounds like you are.  

The "Alteril" I mentioned, should you decide to buy it, doesn't leave you groggy in the morning like say, Unisom and some of those other OTC sleep aids.  I believe most of them have Benedryl as the sleep aid in the product.  But you use what works for you, honey.  

Happy to hear you slept well last night.  You may of turned a corner.  And what a wonderful husband you have!!  

You're into the double digits now, A.  Whoo Hooo, honey, you're doing it.  Contrats on day 11!  (((Hugs)))  

p.s. I couldn't agree with Opus more about you. You are a real gem here at MedHelp. ♥