Smoking Addiction Community
Does Nicorette gum help

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Does Nicorette gum help

Hi to all:

I have smoked for over 40 years, I have my days when I smoke a pack and others just a few cigarettes, I want to stop smoking I know how bad it is but I have tried so many times and failed. Does anyone know if Nicorette gum will help or is there something else? What is addictive in cigarettes the nicotine or the other things inside the cigarettes? Can anyone give me a tip to help me stop smoking?

I will tell you why I smoke. I am a very lonely person, no friends or family around. I live alone and it feels like the cigarettes keep me company and I know that is not true it is just an excuse. I understand it is an addiction which is controlled by the brain is this true? I would love to know if there are any natural products that will help me stop smoking.

It is important to mention that when I was pregnant with my son I did not smoke for 6 years but I gained so much weight that I was silly enough to start smoking again though they made me sick. I have been in the hospital for about 20 days I did not smoke or crave cigarettes. When I am somewhere were smoking is not allowed I am fine and don't even crave them. If I can stay away from cigarettes as mentioned then why can't I stay away from them for good? I am heavily exercising and try to keep my hands busy those two help me a lot but once my hands are free and without even thinking there I go again to the cigarettes.        

Please someone help me find answers to my questions and if possible something like Nicorette to stay away from smoking.

Thanks a lot to who ever can help me.
Its best to quit cold turkey I believe. That way your body can detox all of the chemicals out. Once all the chemicals are gone it is doubtful you will crave them, unless you are around people who also smoke. If that is the case like mine will power is your best bet. Try eating gum or eating nuts.
I wish I was not so sick so as to to be able to quit cold turkey but I have two different primary cancers. I have a terrible depression from the chemo side effects I don't know if I can do it on my own and based only in will power. No one around me smokes I will give it an honest try. I do eat lots of nuts because of my cancer diet, I hate gum it makes me nauseous but if necessary I will try it.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards.
Nicorette as well as the lozenges are both addicting....everyone I know that quit with nicorette still chew it and I'm talking years! A guy that I know from the gym told me that, as a smoker, he used to smoke a pack a day. He's been chewing for 4 years now and he uses the 2 mg, about 12 pieces a day, a total of 24 mg. I know that the brand I smoked was very low in tar & nicotine, so, if chewing 12 pieces a day, I would ingest more in nicorette then smoking.
Nicotine leaves your body in 3 days....3 days.....you did it before....try it again. The addiction is more of an emotional attachment, a best friend, and that's the most difficult aspect of the addiction. There is no NRT that will help you with it, all of it has got to come from your wanting to quit.
An excellent way to prepare is whyquit.com
Read the articles and try to find yourself in them all. Understanding your addiction can help you to quit and stay quit.
I hope that you will give CT another chance.
Good luck!