Smoking Addiction Community
Does emphysema progress if you quit smoking?

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Students in my Not On Tobacco class asked me a question I couldn't answer today about emphysema.  If a person has been diagnosed with emphysema and stops smoking, does the emphysema continue to get worse or can it go into some kind of remission?  
Most often, once the person who has emphysema quits smoking, the progression of the illness stops or significantly reduces. The lungs will not get back to normal but if not exposed to smoke and other poisons, it is likely to stay the way it is once the person quit smoking.

My father has it and since he quit smoking 7 years ago his emphysema has not changed.