Smoking Addiction Community
How did you succeed in giving it up?

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

How did you succeed in giving it up?

I'm getting ready to give it another go.  I've dropped the ball a half a dozen times in the last 20 years.  I think I am more squared away mentally this time than I've been in the past.  I've given it more thought, spent more time building a strategy.

I've gotten to the point where I actually hate the habit/addiction.  I used to be able to put that aside in order to keep chewing, but now....  I just hate it.
It's all psychological. You have to train your mind to not indulge in that self destructive behavior. If you smoke every fifteen,twenty minutes or something like that, try to space the time span out to every five to six hours,that will give your mind time to get use to not smoking. Don't get caught up in all of the mind games these company's play on people who are not aware of the fact they are the ones who control their own destiny. You dont need patches just a little patience and enlightenment.  God Bless.
Thanks, and you're right about the mind games.  If I could disable that part of my mind, I could do this with little effort.
it is not all psychological.  sorry, but nicotine addiction does have physical withdrawal symptoms.  most of it is mental, but there are physical side effects too.  
i too am trying HARD to stop smoking and i don't care about physical withdrawals at all.  i have had withdrawal from many substances in my life and this by far is the hardest.  
i have been taking wellbutrin (zyban) for a week.  smoking is starting to make me nauseous and give me a headache.  which is making me slow down A LOT.     I will give it a few more days and then put a patch on for awhile.
i won't do the entire 12 weeks or whatever it is, but need to do it for awhile.
if i can go a week without smoking i got this beat.  
depression is one of the withdrawal symptoms so this wellbutrin will help with that.  
good luck
I was able to really quit and stay quit for almost two years now.  Because most of it really is mental, I focused on that part this last and final quit.  I read a book from Allen Carr and watched videos from whyquit website and I think that is ultimately how I was able to do it this time.  Life as a nonsmoker is so much better once you get through those first few months.  I do know now that I can never have a single puff though and I am ok with that.  Until I accepted that, I kept failing every time I would try to quit.  You can do this!