How harmful is occasional smoking?
Hi. My husband smokes like 2 cigarettes once every weekend when he goes to drink with his co-workers.

Is that harmful in any way? Or is that ok for him?
What I think is harmful is the association between the two things.
In my personal experience, the emotional addiction happens long before the physical.
If he only smokes when drinking, can he drink without smoking? If he can he may be a social smoker but there is a thin line, tread carefully.
Kathy Jo
Yes, he can drink without smoking. He doesn't drink often, also like once or twice on the weekends when he's out with his co-workers.

I'm just wondering if the occassional weekend smokes will eventually collect in his body and be harmful to him?
it's hard to say but I doubt it could do much. I've know lots of people who only smoked when they drank. That's another good reason I don't drink.
I can personally speak to this.

I'm 28/f and I started casually smoking when I was 18. Went to college and smoked all the time- about a pack every 2 days or so. Graduated college, quit for two years. Picked it back up just on the weekends- quit again in 2006. Started weekends only again about a year ago, and that's where I'm at. Smoking + drinking is a dangerous association. I'm glad that I don't have ANY cravings at all when I'm not drinking- I can go weeks w/o a cigg- but the second I have that one beer or cocktail, the cravings set in. It's awful. I smoked almost a whole pack this weekend and I feel terrible. My new strategy is to cut out all alcohol for a few weeks and hope for the best.

My doctor is aware of my situation and YES, occasional weekend smokes will collect and become harmful. Of course, smoking a few butts every week is better than a back a day, but not smoking at all is the best solution!!
I can understand why you like to smoke every weekend. I've tried that before and it is indeed relaxing and it kind of a reward for yourself after a long week of working.

And like makingupaname, I did get hooked afterwards.

Why risk your health when you know that it its harmful? Doesn't matter if it's a week or 1 a month....Tar sticks to your lungs, it doesn't come off after a week.