How long does it take for nicotine to clear out of your system?
I am getting ready for a major back operation in the next month. Doctor says I have to quit smoking before he will do the surgery. How long will it take to clear the nicotine out of my system so I can have the surgery?  I have been a smoker for 17 years. I have tried to quit before but to no avail. Please help. i cannot use the patch or gum as they both have nicotine in them.
Do you plan to smoke up to 3 days prior to the operation? It takes about 72 hours BUT given the stresses of an impending operation, do you really don't want to do that to yourself.
Why not plan your quit now? Whyquit.com would be a good place to start. Learn about your addiction and prepare yourself for a healthier you.

I had an operation while smoking (10 yrs. ago) and I remember having to wear this elastic body suit because I was a smoker. Healing was a big issue...smokers don't heal well so that might be another consideration.

We are very supportive here and will help you get through the bad times....think about it : ) It only gets worse the longer you are smoking.
---
1y 11m 1w 6d 12:20 smoke-free, 15,714 cigs not smoked, $3,771.36 saved, 1m 3w 3d 13:30 life saved
Hey, Im in the same boat..I was told yesterday that I have to quit to have surgury.I need to have a joint in my foot fused..He said that nicotine interferes in bone healing..Im going cold turkey tomorrow...I needed a couple days to prepare myself. I wish you the best of luck..
I have had 4 surgeries in the last 5 yrs. and every time I was asked to quit smoking....I did not follow those instructions at all and healed just as fast or faster than patients who did not smoke. I understand the reasoning behind the request being that the carbon monoxide does interfere with your blood pressure and such but I think doctors just don't want to take the risk of being sued. In my opinion, it is best to follow the doctors advice but know that sometimes it is in their best interest, and they will tell you anything to make you quit cigarettes and tobacco products. Use your own judgment.....and have a speedy recovery, stay active and keep a positive attitude and your healing will be better....Best of Luck
I certainly commend you for using this surgery as a good motivation to quit.  It does take about 72 hours to get out of your system.  I have used smoking cessation herbs in herbal teas to help me and it worked where gums and patches did not.  Has the doctor made any healthy suggestions for you to aid in quitting prior to surgery?