I have been smoking for so long
I have been smoking for what seems like forever now. Well since I was like 13 I think. My cousin gave me my first cigg. And I have children and its not good for them to see me smoke. My husband and I dont  smoke in the house but still. With both of us smoking it makes it that much hader to quit. Every time I get stressed out thats the first thing I reach for is a smoke. What can I do to try and quit?
Welcome : )
We have all been where you are at right now.  You are ahead of me though as I didn't quit until my children were pretty much grown. You have it in you to stop and it will be more difficult if your husband smokes around you so maybe you can convince him to do it too or not to do it around you or the kids. My husband doesn't smoke which made it a little easier.
To prepare for your quit you might want to visit whyquit.com
This will answer all of those questions on why we think a cigarette helps us when we are stressed out (it really doesn't, it actually makes it worse, go figure) and why we feel like we are losing our best friend when we quit.
We are here to support you so check back often.
Kathy Jo

---
5m 1w 3d 23:04 smoke-free, 3,584 cigs not smoked, $860.16 saved, 1w 5d 10:40 life saved

I found Allen Carr's book Easyway to Stop Smoking was the first step for me - it totally changed my thinking about smoking.I just read it with an open mind about six months ago. Plus it's cheap and available in almost all bookstores and online.