Smoking Addiction Community
Illness after quiting smoking

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Illness after quiting smoking

I got this nasty cold a couple of weeks ago. My boyfriend got the same thing, only two weeks prior to me. He decided that he was going to smoke while he had this infection and it developed into acute bronchitis. When I came down with it, I decided that I was going to quit smoking once and for all. I had tried quitting before, but this time I was really motivated, and on top of that, smoking with the cold made me sick.
I had the cold for about a week, and then was over it. However, about two days after I thought I was completely over it, I started coughing up phlegm and my throat was raw and dry. I have a really nasty sounding cough that sounds phlegm-y and hurts a lot. I was wondering if this is a common adverse effect of quitting smoking? And if that is what it is, what can I do to deal with it? I've been drinking tons of water and started and exercise program but it doesn't seem to be helping. Will it go away on it's own, or should I go to the doctor?
Additionally, I had heard that when you quit smoking it was common for a strong increase in appetite and weight gain. However, since I quit smoking I have completely lost my appetite, and have to force myself to eat when I am border line passing out. Is there any logical reason for this? I appreciate any advice you could give me!
Go see your physician and put your mind to rest and good luck with your quit! Take your boyfriend too so this way you aren't passing it back and forth : )

I hate to whine, but I had a cold that started about 9 days after my quit and lasted about 4 months! I am now 5 months and 1 week into it and I have been healthy for a month.

I smoked for 38 years so I was well prepared for the backlash but you might want to get yourself in to see the doctor even if it is an effect of your quit. I went a few times but one time in particular I was lucky that I did go early enough because I was diagnosed with pleurisy and that hurts like heck!

Most of the symptoms you describe sound familiar except for your appetite but that could be a combination of your sore throat and the cough. My appetite was huge regardless of the pain and sickness I was feeling, but I am now relentlessly exercising to get rid of the weight.

Another good site is whyquit.com. There is a message board there too but you can only post if you sign up and you must have quit cold turkey. You can still read the posts and there is a lot of material there so you should be able to find something there.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing : )
Kathy Jo
Yes, definitely see your doctor.  Your cough sounds more serious than withdrawal from smoking.  You may still have bronchitis and may need another round of antibiotics. You might want to hold off on the exercise too until you see your doctor because if you DO happen to have something serious, you should be resting.  

But, it could also just be a combination of your cough hanging on and quitting smoking has aggravated it.  I waited to start coughing up phlegm when I quit, but it never happened, even though I had a serious smokers cough.  

It is common for an increase in appetite, however, I have been fortunate that this didn't happen to me.  Just the fact you have lost your appetite tells me that MAYBE you still have some sort of lung infection.  Please try to force yourself to eat a little more.  Several times a day would be good, even if its just a piece of fruit.  Nutrition is very important when your body is trying to heal from anything, even just nicotine withdrawal.  

Congratulations on your quit!!!  This will be so much easier if you can get your boyfriend to quit too.  After you see your doctor and if your lungs are healthy, I think you are going to see an improvement every day with the cough.

Hang in there and let us know how you're feeling, okay?