SMOKING ADDICTION
COMMUNITY
Is itching a symptom of nicotine withdrawl?
by joanna564, Mar 11, 2008
I was smoking 2 packs a day, until 6 days ago when I came down w/ the flu. I had cut way back to like 2 cigarettes a day, so I decided to go ahead and quit. I have been 29 hours w/ no smokes!! I dont have the urge to eat myself out of house and home(yet). and I am not to grouchy, however my hands, feet, arms and back itch like my skin is crawling. I am cold turkey quiting, has anyone else had this problem,? if so can you please give me some advice on this before I dig holes in myself? Hope to hear from someone soon
Member Comments (16)
by kathyjo, Mar 11, 2008
YES! I almost forgot about the itching! Just hang in there for a bit more and it will all be a memory : ) I took a bath when I felt it was out of control.......Calgon take me away : )
Try looking through the whyquit.com website to see if there is anything about that. You can even join them since you are quitting cold turkey.
Congrats!
Kathy Jo

---
5m 3d 0:56 smoke-free, 3,411 cigs not smoked, $818.64 saved, 1w 4d 20:15 life saved
by Jade59, Mar 12, 2008
Hi joanna!  I didn't have the itching when I quit, but I got to have a whole slew of other uncomfortable problems  : )

I just wanted to say congratulations!!  I THINK epsom salts might be good for itching and if that doesn't do the trick, maybe try a little benedryl if you can tolerate that sort of med.

I didn't have a big urge to eat either.  Still don't, but I did take up walking last July so if I do happen to indulge a little too much, I'm hoping that the exercise will take care of it.  So far so good.  Gaining weight was a concern.  

Take care and hang in there!!!
by Mumjane, Mar 21, 2008
Hi there ! I went to my doctor about the skin-crawling issue and he prescribed an anti-histamine syrup - stops it immediately. Good news - doctor said this is a sign of your cells flushing out the chemicals from smoking - body is letting you know you are allergic to some of the vile ingredients used in cigarettes!  I only used the syrup twice myself - haven't need it since. Hang in there - this awful itching sensation does pass. Another thing - my friend suggested hot water and honey with a cinnamon stick in it to be sipped throughout the day - as she throught this might indicate cell dehydration from stopping coffee, etc. That really helped me too and I am still doing this.

Best of luck - you can do it!
by Mumjane, Mar 21, 2008

Best of luck - you can do it!
by tropicalitch, Apr 21, 2008
It's the other way around for me when i smoke i get itchy after it .
by Overdosed, Sep 01, 2012
Hi all.i quit smoking about a week. i have no visual things on my skin . At appearence my skin looks normal but my skin itches,itches and itches.this'll drive me crazy.
Anyone with positive feedback to that effect? i don't want to start smoking again.
by kanada211, Jan 17, 2013
Hello!
I quit smoking on new years due to having a sore throat and catching the flu. After four days of no cigarettes I decided its time to quit. Then I started itching horribly everywhere! I have now been smoke free for 17 days and dealing with very intense itching! A doctor told me it takes 20 days for the nicotine to be fully out of your system. Well these 20 days need to hurry before I scratch all my skin off! Also, benedryl or any anti-itch cream that I could find is not workin! Other then the horrible itch I'm not having any other withdrawl symptoms. I quit cold turkey and its actually been pretty easy for me. Good luck to anyone else quitting!
by josh624, Jan 19, 2013
My fiancĂ© is going thru the same thing.  She's ready to skin herself!   Baths and Benadryl do nothing for it!  What gives?!
by Michelle89roche, Feb 06, 2013
I'm off them just over a month and the itching hasn't stopped its driving me crazy I'm the same no rashes or bumps on my skin it looks normal I don't no when this is going to stop