Smoking Addiction Community
My quitting smoking symptoms

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

My quitting smoking symptoms

Hi everyone. I quit smoking just over one month ago. I've been wanting to quit for several years now but finally took advantage of a situation I was in and carried on with it. It all started with some sort of stomach virus. Experienced the usual not so fun and pretty gross stuff that go along with any stomach flu. During these couple of days, I couldn't eat and the throught of smoking or drinking coffee totally repulsed me. As I got better from the flu symptoms, I realized that it had been 4 days that I didn't smoke. I thought why not take advantage of this time and continue to quit smoking for good. My list of symtoms (symptoms) from the first to the third week was quite lengthy. I had severe anxiety with the shortness of breath, crazy dreams whenever I did actually sleep because there were many a days I experienced insomnia. I had chest and back pain, I was irritable and moody along with crying spells. I had no energy and felt sleepy alllllll the time but couldn't sleep a wink. The worst of my symptoms though was the worst heartburn I've ever had in my life. I don't usually get heartburn but this heartburn was really insane and wouldn't let up. The crazy part about all this is that I never considered all these symptoms to be part of quitting smoking. I thought the stomach flu was somehow lingering and spreading around my body in other ways and kept blaming all the symptoms I was having on the stomach virus and started getting the bad anxiety because I kept thinking it was still the stomach virus but knowing that stomach viruses don't last that long but thinking I must have caught a new strain with changing symptoms lol. Low and behold after doing some research online, I've realized my symptoms were because I had basically quit smoking cold turkey after 18 years. Well at least that's what I'm thinking my symptoms are from. As of today, I have been quit for just over a month and the majority of my symptoms have subsided but my main concern is the heartburn, which has become less, hopefully it is going to completely go away soon, but I am also constantly burping now. Before I eat, after I eat, when I wake up, when i go to bed. It's constant and pissing me off. Not use to this at all. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last for you if it did? Any insight is much appreciated. Thank you tons.
Tags: Heartburn, Acid reflux, belching, burping, quitting smoking, hersuitisming, dealing with anxietyy, Insomnia
I have had all of those sypmtoms, but you are a week ahead of me so...i still get the heartburn and burping and early morning insomnia...im so tired today i could kill...but i don't want to smoke so that's good...

anyhow, try prylocec and gas-x for your stomach issues, no shame in that.
rush2112....

What do you mean by early morning insomnia?

It's good you don't want to smoke. I'm still finding myself wanting to smoke. Not very often, but when the urge hits me, it hits hard. I've mastered my morning coffee without a smoke as well as smoking after meals and cigarettes finally don't even cross my mind while driving. I find that the strong urges hit me during stressful situations. Like nagging in-laws and learning of the death of a friend last week :(

Has your heartburn and burping let up at all? My heartburn is gone for the most part. I feel it every now and then for a couple of seconds and then it's gone and it's very weak. The burping has let up just a bit. And I only know it's lessened for sure because I've actually been counting LMAO!!! :) If I didn't count them throughout the day then it would seem like there was no change because I still feel as though I'm burping all day long. But since I started counting, everyday I burp less and less by 3-5 belches LOL I am also still very tired. I have no energy at all. I've started taking B-Complex vitamins so I hope they kick in sometime soon.

I look forward to following your progress with your quit. Good luck to us :)))
hey
early morning insomnia for me is waking around five and tossing and turning till i have to get out of bet around seven, not my favorite...combined with local allergies (i live in a poor air quality area) the smoke quit has taken a toll on me...but i am not and will not smoke again, cigs are NOT an option and that's all there is too it...
my urges have been easy to deal with, don't crave very often, but I do have friends who smoke and they come to my house on Monday's and that's the toughest on me, the social aspect of sitting around the table puffin' away...
anyhow...I'm doing well, my heartburn and belching have subsided now i have to conquer sleep...and get back to the gym...I have found I don't want to work out at all and that ain't right!
I am 4 days into quitting. Today I have had the worst indigestion  and acid reflux. How long will this last? I have eaten saltines, butterscotch candy....to make it go away, Pepcid  didn't work and I am miserable.
I think I too had most of those symptoms. The will subside soon don't worry you will be feeling so much better soon.