Smoking Addiction Community
Nicorette Addiction
About This Community:

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Nicorette Addiction

I've been chewing Nicorette for about ten years. I chew between nine and eleven pieces of the 2mg a day. What are the harmful effects of the gum (beside, obvious addiction). And, do you have any suggestions as to how to get off the gum?
Related Discussions
130 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Not really any `toxic` effects to worry about,yet,unless you start chewing like about 50mg a day.I think you should get some normal chewing gum and every now and then have one instead,do it really slowly,but just try to get in the habit of taking a non nicotine chewy when you can,gradually you will swap over to the nico free chewing gum,but you may end up chewing for life,and this can lead to decreased tooth cavities,not such a bad thing really.
Their are pills that reduce nicotine craving,but your problem was originally smoking and the carcinogenic substances in tobacco smoke like tar,nickel carbonyl and others,also carbon monoxide is not good for your red blood cells oxygen carrying capacity.The pills are a bit suspicious,as they are Psychoactive and possibly worse than the gum(Nicotine).Of course you know Nicotine is a poison,with no known medicinal use.Should be Shedule 1 but the Govt aint got the balls,money talks,you know the rest.
Blank
I was addicted to Nicorette 2mg. for about 2-1/2 years...however, I chewed 24 pieces a day!!! WAY too many.

I just wanted to warn you that I have a swallowing disorder now.
I was chewing sooooo much, (a lot more than you), that the
constant nicotine draining down my throat caused me all sorts
of esophagus problems.

Just watch yourself, living without being able to eat right really sucks!

P.S. I finally got off the gum by using the patch?!?!?!

Emblie
Blank
Your advice is much appreciated,of course you got off the gum using the patch-because you stuffed up your throat and had to swap to a patch.I am hoping that she gets of the gum soon, as you have discovered for you nicotine can harm ones esophagus.It is excellent to hear such a report and I think it should become common medical knowledge,were their warnings on the pack??????.............
Blank
Hello.  
I have a question that does not have anything to do with nicorette addition.  HOwever, I have been unable to post a new question, as I am told it is full for the day.  Even early in the morning. I am hoping that someone can answer this for me.  

The other day, I caught a television commercial to watch the evening news for information on a new method to help smokers quit.  It was supposedly in the form of a shot behind the ear.
Unfortunatly, I could not catch the news that night, and have been since trying to find out information about it.

Does anyone know about this new method.  How it workks?, and it's effectivness.

Any reponses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Blank
I have never heard about it ,sorry I cannot help.But the key word here is it can "Help" stopping smoking.
Blank
Hi,

I’ve been a Nicorette gum user for 5 years…I chewed about 12-18 pieces per day.  I used Copenhagen for 20 years prior.  Nicorette really helped me quit Copenhagen…but now I’m obviously addicted to the gum…The gum is obviously better than Copenhagen for many reasons..however..I can tell you that my blood pressure has risen, and I have a low white blood cell count because of the gum.  I get sick all the time due to this.  If I over chew it I’ll get a sore throat and eventually a sinus infection.  My doctor always asked me ..”do you smoke?”  I tell him no…he doesn’t  know I use any tobacco products.  He says “ you get bronchitis s a lot”.  
Bottom line the gum is no good for you…It will have long term effects.     So…I started Chantix last week…I quit that after 5 days…major side effect for me..I couldn’t sleep..and when I did I’d have nightmares all night…so I went out and bought 20 packs of every flavored sugarless gum and quit the Nicorette gum cold turkey last Saturday…I have to say the key is to set a quit date… throw out the gum (I have to flush down toilet otherwise I would search trash).  I can tell you this being Day 4 that is much much easier than quitting Cope or cigs…Right now I already feel confident I’m done with it…It has been extremely easy to do it…I already feel better…So give it a try cold turkey before using Chantix/zybin….Try to go 3 days…I think the Nicorette gum was making me depressed too..I always had that crashing feeling/lethargic feeling…Do you know what I mean?   Anyhow…I don’t have a lot of will power but canning the gum in not too hard..just set the date…throw all gum out….buy 20 packs of all flavors of sugarless gum…I had minor withdrawal symptoms but nothing that made me want to drive to store and buy nic gum.  Good Luck to all…

SW
Blank
271792_tn?1334983257
Former...Hi!

You are posting on a thread from 6 years ago. I don't think these folks are here anymore.

You should start your own post. Go to the top of this page and hit the "post a question" button. Take care.
Blank
Addiction to nicotine gum is real.  I quit smoking using the gum and the patch.  After weaning the patch after 2-3 months, I chewed various brands of gum for two years.  I developed gastrointestinal problems, mouth sores and decayed teeth.  The generic versions are notorious for stomach cramps and diarreha (sp?) which was resolved by switching to nicorette cinnamon. (which I love!)  The difference in my pearly whites is astronomical.  More cavities than ever before, gum seperation, teeth worn down and staining.  Finally after 12-14 pieces a day and over $100 in cost a  month (comperable to cost of cigarettes a month, why aren't these things cheaper? Nicorette must be raking it in at our expense) I'd had enough.  Additionally, the self-hatred you feel addicted to cigarettes is the same with the gum.  The constant need for a piece of gum is classic addiction.  I quit the gum using the patch - 21 for 14 days, 14 for 14 days and 7 for a week.  Boy it was hard though not as hard as giving up cigarettes.   And lots and lots of Orbit gum.  Brush your teeth constantly.  Carry ice cold water at all times.  Remember that after 3 years of giving up cigarettes I still think about it.  But the GUM DID HELP ME QUIT!  The gum will soothe your withdrawal symptoms.  You must stop the gum as soon as you can.  The mouth and hand association with nicotine is what you must conquer.   It is hard to accept that after giving up cigarettes the world does not suddenly become Nirvana.  The gum is only a step in a very long but worth it process.  If it makes you feel any better, I heard Obama is addicted to the gum too.
Blank
i m 54 now n started smoking since was 13 and did about 30 cigs a day till 10 years ago , then shifted to nicorette, to which addicted for last 9 and half year, doing about 30 2 mg gum. tried many times tgo quit by reducing gradually and suceeded to reducing to 5 gums a day for months but would revert to 30 or so. my conclusion: whether i quit when used to 5 gum or 30 gum, pain would be same , so no sense in reducing it gradually and just have to go cold turkey on nicorette, same way went for ciggartees,. on a flight about 6 months ago, i decided impusivley and ask the stewardess if she could throw the nicorette and give me a beer. cheerfully she did that. for 3 nights, i kept myself drunk . it was terrible mainly on the 3rd dy , the first week and all the way upto 3 weeks. mainly survived by drinking 2-3 nights a week, go to sleep early . many times thought would come to have just one oiece and start a fresh tomorrow but somehow i managed. after 3 weeks, i knew , i have beaten it though the craving was there, strong albiet managable now. its 6 months . sometimes , there is a sudden strong flesh of craving but i think i got it made. ace
Blank
After I smoking for over 30 years, I became addicted to nicotine gum.  I have been chewing it for over 10 years and chew alot of it!  I want to stop.  I have started cutting the gum in half and seem to still chew alot.   Help!  Has anyone tried acupuncture?  Any other suggestions?
Blank
I quit smoking a half a pack about 4 years ago....the patches helped originally...but the nightmares were...well...a nightmare....Nicorette appears to have figured out how to make bank with all the new flavors and pretty packaging.....I buy the boxes of 100 or so pieces of gum...I have figured out that since the 2mg and 4mg boxes cost the same (40-55 bucks) I might as well buy the really tasty Fruit Chill 4 mgs...I chew half at a time and eat maybe 10 or so a day.......it's a &^%$#@ nightmare......if I dont have I feel exactly the same as I did w/o a cig.....good luck getting off of this people....trust me.....I need to buy stock in whoever makes this ****......I like the little booklet they provide in every box....goes straight to my recycling bin....at least one thing positive comes out of it...........think I'll start chewing.............
Blank
I too ended up a gum/lozenge junkie.  After being a 'don't care who sees me smoking' person for years I quit smoking because of the health risks and because I was embarrassed.  Funnily, I became embarrassed about the gum/lozenge as well...I hid it for years.  I used the gum/loz for over 5 years & have finally quit because it was making me feel crappy.  Heart palpitations & severe bloating.  I quit after cutting down for a few months.  I did it cold turkey after feeling crappy one morning after a few drinks and a lot of the lozenges (would use them like ciggies when having a drink). I didn't feel like having any nicotine that day & just kept going.  Anyway, been off for about 2 months & am planning on staying that way.  Too long a struggle.....wish I knew then what I knew now about smoking...what a long long road to quitting...it's still a challenge.  Would also like to agree w/ earlier comment about cost...big pharma making lots off this stuff...happy to keep you addicted!!
Good Luck All
Blank
I am currently addicted to Nicorette (Fruit) 4 mg. I quit New Year's Day 2009. I pop TWO 4 mg. pieces in my mouth about 8, 9 or 10 times a day!

I'm starting to feel a tightness in my throat, and really feel a sort of a "numbness" in it when I awake in the morning, and am getting paranoid that I'm giving myself either throat cancer or some esophagal problem...

I have GOT to stop this gum addiction NOW. It's been over 5 months now that I'm on it. Definitely NOT the recommended way of doing it, according to Nicorette's instruction booklet! (Although I'm sure that they do not mind in the slightest that I'm now addicted to using THEIR product now...!).
Blank
       Since I'm the last post here for awhile-- This is for the next reader, as I've read all the post listed on this page.

First off, I'm 28 years old and had been smoking for more than 1/2 my lifetime. I quit, June 11, '09. I somehow managed to go a month while on the patches. And, because of it, I ended up having the first birthday, that I can remember, 100% smokeless. Incredible really...But, now this is all besides the point.

Now, I'm addicted to the nicotine gum. I got off the 21 mg patches on my 4th week because I have an outdoor job. And here in Houston, in the middle of summer, patches tend to sweat right off! I was going through 2 to 3 patches a day from sweating alone. I had to get an alternative.

Upon visiting my grandfather in San Antonio, I thought it'd be the perfect time to try out that alternative. Boy! Was I ever wrong! I wish I had never gone to that damn store!

I started off at the 4mg. I knew I should have started off at 2mg-- OR not gone at all and continued on with 14 mg patches. But... So, I did 4mg for only a week. I realized that 4 mg was too much for me as I was getting fatigued and kinda drowsy/ dizzy. So, the next week I hooked myself up on 2 mg.

I am sorry to say, I have yet to try the 1 mg. In fact, like a fear when I quit smoking-- as I had this phobia that I'll never be okay because I'll never be able to smoke again-- the same held true for the gum. Despite me quitting in June, I hardly say I quit-- as it's only been merely 3 months.. Or not even quite yet.

So I derived this feeling of, "but what if it's not enough?" with the 1 mg's... So, I've been on the 2 mg's for about a month now. I know I need to go down to the 1mg.. But, when I start craving that extra mg... what's that gonna do for me in the long run besides kill my wallet?

I can also not fathom what I have developed due to this gum. Hell, it's only been a month or so since I got on this stuff, and within the first few weeks, I realized I developed some serious TMJ. Everyday now, TMJ. Whenever I eat... TMJ. Go to bed.. TMJ. Have a social event.. TMJ. Jaw's freakin lock on me and you would think that'd do me in, but nope! My addiction to this product has shown well already.

This evening I also noticed I have some weird sore on the bottom of my mouth. It doesn't really hurt unless I poke at it with my tounge, but it was definately from the gum and the excessive chewing. I must chew at least 12 to 20 pieces 'a day. And it must be constant!

I think I will do as one of the other posters (above) listed. He/ she said they went to the store and bought 20 of every flavored pack of sugarless gum and incorporated more and more pieces in between nicorettes as time progressed.

--And I have thought about that idea. The problem I had was being in denial of such an addiction. What I have noticed though-- and this is suitable for me and may or may not be for you.. But, if you are like me and seem to catch yourself smacking away on the nicorette gum with it having no flavor, than perhaps the interchanging of gums will not be as drastic as you or I may think?

The only way to know for sure is to try. And by God, I'm doing just that from now on!

I know that when you read this, I will not be visible to you. Nor, am I sure that we will be able to contact one another. But, being as though we're both in possibly-- the same boat, perhaps we can understand eachother on similar terms with respect to this addiction.

I'm going to quit! I have already made that commitment! I know you can too! If both you and I were once tobacco users, and quit that, I have no doubt that we can rid this gum as well! There is no more time worth waiting. The sooner we do it.. The faster we'll get it over with! There ya go! Let it go!

--God Bless

--Rob USMC
Blank
Please free us poor creatures!  I also am addicted to Nicorette and so depressed all the time. Chewing and sucking lozenges and still missing cigarettes and always have to have something in my mouth. One tooth already affected. Just crazy. I can't afford the gum, but I keep charging it on the credit card.  I will not go back to cigarettes. I find each quit harder and this last one is still going on. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I start smoking again, but some days I find it so hard that I don't want to live like this either. We're on a pension and I'm spending way too much on nicotine replacement and it's just a mess.  Sorry for the rant.
Blank
I quite smoking when i was 35 and started on nicorette gum (probably when it first came out), I'll be 50 this Aug. and I was addicted to 2 mg. nicorette for up to 1 year ago, I quit nicorrette in Jan. 09, and would you believe I still struggle every day with not having it, is that not crazy?  I started smoking when i was about 13 years old, so I guess anything that you did for so long is not going to be easy to shake, I think it has a lot to do with my dopamaine levels, the reason i say that is because i'm not a big drinker but after i quit nicrorette to my surprise alcohol gave me a similiar effect that the nicotine did, it actually gave me some relief, i asked my dr. and my dr. said that the two are strongly related in regard to raising dopamaine levels, so now i try not to drink so that i don't become an alcoholic, and i'm also trying to lose those last 15 pds. from giving up nicotine so i'm on a diet, man, life is tough ... so I pray .. a lot, I can't fight this battle on my own ...
Blank
I quit smoking in January 2006.  I have smoked for 26 years, 1-2 packs a day.  Since many "experts" on the web claimed that it would be too hard top quit cold turkey, I decided to use Nicorette products to help me quit. First, I used the gums. After 3 months I discovered the Nicorette inhalers which are very similar to cigarettes. With NRT it was easy to stay away from cigarettes, but then I was hooked to Nicorette. This addiction was as expensive as smoking.  Finally, after 18 months I finally managed to quit Nicorette. Looking at all these posts I can understand your addiction very well.  In my opinion Nicorette addiction is simply nicotine addiction, just like tabocco addiction. I don't think you can quit nicotine addition by using nicotine replacement products. It is very difficult to quit nicotine addiction by gradually decreasing the intake of the amount of nicotine every day, as these NRT companies want to you to believe, because the less nicotine you get, the more precious it is to you.  In the end to quit Nicorette, I still had to go cold turkey.  So I wondered what's the point of first spending thousands of dollars on Nicorette, and then having to go cold turkey anyway? In hindsight I truly believe cold turkey is the best way to quit. The hardest part in quitting nicotine is to deal with thought of having to live without nicotine. The tought really scared me.  Of course, it's very tough in the first three day, tough for the first 2 weeks. But after that, it really is not that bad. Well, I just want to share some of my experience, and hope this may be useful to some.
Blank
I am pleased to have read all of these coments. I thought it was just me. I am chewing 20pcs of nicorette a day. I hide it from others. I am embarrassed about this addition. I also fear the loss of nicotine. I also buy it with a credit card and worry how much I owe at the end of each month. I smoked for 40 yrs and quit when I had a heart attack. I need to just quit. I think writing this here may help me finally get this out in the open. I wish you all well and hope you and I can finally have a normal life free of nicotine. God that would be a blessing.
Blank
Ive been chewing nicotine gum non stop ( i mean NON STOP ) for about 5 years . I never had any health problems until I started with th egum. I can't say for sure it was all because of the gum but ..I now have high blood pressure and had to go just today to find out I need an additional medication to keep it down. My teeth are TOTALLY shot. I had serious stomach problems about a year into chewing the gum ,  was in the hospital for test , no one ever found anything. I have heart palpitations as well the lst year.  It scared me to the point of going to an emergency room on two occasions. I also had some bowel problems and pain down there that no one could find an answer to . Only one doctor mentioned my heavy nicotine gum addiction and said it may be th eroot of a lot of the troubles I have.
I wont move without knowing I have  20 pieces with me and i have it stashed all over the place in case of emergency.When I went on vacation I took about 300 pieces with me for the week , just in case I couldnt find any in Europe.
I HAVE to stop , this is too crazy. I'm glad I saw this blog and if anyone else has any suggestions to quit let me know.
Blank
Hi everyone,
I am sitting here chewing away as I have been chewing the last four a half years since giving up smoking. I smoked most of my life since the age of 13 in fact. I started using the gum 6 years ago when I was in situations where I coud'nt smoke,work etc. It did in fact help me give up,I started with 4mg then got down to 2mg,after I had heart surgery I use 1mg by biting the 2mg in half. I can't get off it,every piece( I chew constantly) gives me a kick.

I hate spending the money on it,I am embarrased in work constantly fumbling in my pockets and bag for a piece, I fall asleep sometimes with it in my mouth,I also use my credit card to pay for it,what a waste.

After my heart surgery 2 years ago I asked the consultant if it will do me any harm,he did say that it was better than smoking,but eventually it could have an effect on my heart disease.
I know the answer is cold turkey,but how do you pick a time to do it and stop yourself running out to the shop for more when the withdrawel becomes too much.

I am really pleased with this site,I dont't feel so alone with this problem now,good luck to everyone.
Blank
I love Nicorette. I always have a piece in my mouth. I have been a chewer for about 8 years now. I haven't had any kind of medical issue as a result of chewing. I would like to quit due to the cost of the product. The generic brands just don't cut it for me. The empty shells the gum is contained in can be found all around my apartment, in my desk drawers, and my pocketbook. Wads of gum lurk on my bed post as I chew a piece before bed and don't always remember to take it off in the morning. It's disgusting. It doesn't help that Nicorette has an incentive program in which you earn gift cards and coupons. I've completed the rewards time line three times now, using different email and mailing addresses. I mean, why not? After this last box is finished, I plan on quitting for good. I don't even like to smoke anymore. I actually prefer the gum. Cold turkey is definitely the way to go...I've tried to chew regular gum, but it just doesn't work. Willpower is something I lack, but hopefully with the support of these forums, I will be able to quit for good.
Good luck everyone!
Blank
I also got used to the little bite that nicorette gives,but I quit using it after 1 month only.I cut the highest strength in 1/4 pieces and mixed it with regular gum or candy.That way one piece stretched 4 ways and I was able to decrease my use in this way.In fact I quit using only 1 box and that was over 25 years ago.
Try weaning off by cutting the gum in peices and only chewing small pieces as i did.Just mix it with regular gum that you like .
Blank
I chewed the nicorette gum happily-always worried about it-for twelve years.  I chewed a ton, at least 12 pieces of the 4 mg per day.  I loved it.  It was great, but there is no way it's safe.  My blood pressure is much higher than normal.  My blood circulation isn't nearly as good.  I've had esphogus problems, I don't eat now for hours before bed-sometimes five hours.  
I started with nicotine because it helped me work, whether it was a mundane project or whatever, pop in a piece of nicorette and I could sit and work for hours no problem, it was enjoyable.  Slowly, the nicorette didn't help me work as hard, in fact, it probably helped ease any anxiety I had about taking it easy.  With the main reason gone for my nicotine abuse and health problems I quit.  But, even at this moment, it's been a couple of months, I feel like chewing some.  
I find it takes a herculean effort to quit initially.  I've relapsed before, but what happens is this huge guard you've built up to stop slowly goes away after months.  And then you think to yourself why not?  I should just have a piece.  It'd be good for me, I'd get this work done or whatever.  But, we have to remeber to keep that guard way up, forever.  A few months after you've quit the guard has to be kept up.  
That's where I'm at...trying to keep that guard up so I don't relapse.  It's super easy to relapse.  I've done it multiple times for a couple of years now.  
I hope everyone who wants to is able to quit for good and that no one has any ill effects from the gum.  
I figure it's like smoking sixty years ago, sure nobody had cold hard evidence that it was not healthy for people, but anyone with common sense knew it was.  It's the same with nicorette gum.  Common sense says it's definitely bad for you...I don't care what some doctors say...you should see all the old advertisements with doctors smoking cigarettes saying how "healthy" they are.  
There's plenty of evidence just in the few forums online that nicorette gum isn't good for any one.  

Blank
The fact that there haven been so many posts recently indicates that Nicorette addiction is very real. As a former Nicorette addict my advice to is the following: if you are serious about quitting nicotine, then you have to face the inevitable sooner or later. If you want to be free from nicotine, you have to go cold turkey - there is no other way.  The whole concept of NRT is really ludicrous.  How can you use nicotine to quit nicotine?
Blank
I have been a nicorette addict for 9 years.  Recently I have been chewing at least 30 pieces a day (2mg).  More or less chain-chewing.  As of 10 days ago I have quit, cold turkey.  The first 3 days were terrible, but I kept with it.  Then the withdrawal symptoms eased off slightly, but now I'm really struggling again.  Have been fantasizing all day about going out to buy some.  I don't know how much longer I can cope with these feelings if it doesn't start to ease off soon.  I feel really depressed, have bad indigestion, itchy skin...and such bad craving.  I'm finding it almost impossible to concentrate on anything and have been falling behind with my work.
Reading these posts has helped though, and it's good to know I'm not alone.
Blank
I'm not sure how I found this site but I'm sure glad I did.  I have been chewing 12 -24 pieces of 4 mg gum 2 at a time for about 3 years.  I am so disgusted with myself. I must look really stupid wiith a big yellow gum ball im my mouth when I talk to people.  Esp in my occupation.  I chew the gum so hard that my bite is off.  After reading all the health problems everyone is talking about I haven't heard much about weight gain.  I'm always replacing one thing for another but it's never anything healthy.  You'd think I'd grab my walking shoes and take off if I feel a craving, problem is I'd be gone for days. Like Forrest Gump.  I'd really appreciate any comments regarding weight gain so I can start preparing myself.  This addiction makes me so angry with myself because of the cost and how stupid I must look with my jaw constantly in motion.   Thanks for all your posts with quitting suggestions.
Blank
I came across this thread looking for some kind of affirmation to keep stuffing my mouth with 4mg. nicotine. gum. (I am a connoisseur of ONLY CVS brand cinnamon flavor) Instead what I found is the truth- that many of us aren't feeling so hot about our new found (or old friend) addictions to nicotine cessation products. Also you are right about the (wait a minute- I'll need a new piece of gum to finish this...) OK- better now, I'll continue.
First I must acknowledge the fact that products like these (I've used the lozenges, also- but I felt like a thrush patient with a constant crusty white residue ring around my mouth) actually do work- I haven't had a cigg for over two years. Everyone, including my Dr. are truly celebratory around this issue. 'Ho-ray  for you!!!" they would all say. But why do I not feel like celebrating?
First there is the fact that I am still using (albeit substituting) nicotine. Then there is the cost, and I absolutely do spend more on the gum than I did on the ciggs. I have been overdrawn at the bank, and had to borrow money- all for the gum. Then the insane ritual that surrounds it- I only shop one store for my "product". I have to watch the papers to see if it is going to be on sale. I have to have enough of a 'back stock" of gum for emergencies. The Easter earthquake rattled me to the bone- but the second thing I thought of (the first being my two cats) was "do I have enough gum to get me through a true "State of Emergency?" "
When I get home, I open all of the boxes, and throw away the "important information- please read this thoroughly before using this product" pamphlet. Then I split up my dope- (oops! I meant gum) into three areas- my purse being the first, my overnight bag- I work away from home) and an easy access place in the open for when I am at home. Then there is my insane "replacement routine" every time I take out a new piece of gum, I put the ABC (already been chewed) gum into the old package and squeeze it back into the blister. ???Why??? I don't know! I think of it as good "gum karma" to not litter my gum for fear I may reunite with it in the laundry, or worse, someone else might come into contact with the pink stinky little ball of wonder.
Yes there is something wrong with this picture. I always have a piece in my mouth- unless I'm eating. I can even take my meds/vitamins while "Parking" my gum into some stash between my teeth and cheek. (park-a term the original nicorette gum people suggested for use- not to chew it over and over, but to "chew and park" ) Yes- you may have guessed by now, this is not my first go-round with this product!
Enough about me- here is what I think about quitting. (I am a certified addictions specialist- so I know all to well what to do- I just don't always listen to myself, but maybe I can help someone else?
The nicotine gum is a "smoking cessation product"  and it does deliver just that-smoking cessation. As far as the rest of the insane addiction goes, we are on our own. So here are things that I found helpful in "nicotine gum cessation". 1> Set a quit date, and don't keep it a secret! Tell everyone you know, throw yourself a party, take out an ad in the paper, POST IT ON A SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITE! 2> get lots of oral-type things that you enjoy (I love to chew ice, another issue altogether, but useful for this need) gum, and lots of it- I find the stronger the flavor, the better. You want a piece of gum that says 'Hello! I'm in your mouth!" things to eat- like carrot sticks, celery, crunchy, (healthy!)  3 > With the $ you save, buy yourself  a "Zoom!" professional tooth whitening appointment.  4> Buy some fancy lip gloss- (guys lip balm) Celebrate your new found freedom from addiction. I even got lip plumping injections as my reward after quitting the last time.  
Of course if you find you can't do this on your own- 5> You may find yourself needing professional medical help. Ask a Dr. for assistance. That's OK! do whatever you need to.
And don't forget to celebrate each day after you've quit- your "clean time!" It is important!
Thanks for listening!
Blank
at least nicotine is fairly harmless (and might help prevent parkinson's, alztimers, and coltitis), and does not cause cancer. Tobacco kills.
Blank
Hi all! To chew or not to chew, that is the question. Not that I've had perfect teeth ever, not even close, but the past couple of months they have really started to bother me and I'm wondering if it is because of the nicotine gum. Now I'm getting nervous because I don't have a lot of $ to sink into my teeth. More mouth soreness around my gums, etc. Anyhow, I've been using the 2 mg gum about 4 years now. No more than 10 a day I don't think. I smoke about 4 cigs a day also. But it's like I have to have something in my mouth 24/7, either food, gum, etc. I like the unflavored gum which I pop in after I have a minty gum, or whatever food item. It's the taste of it more for me. If only they made a gum that had NO flavor. Thanks for all your postings and you should all pat yourselves on the back for trying to and being successful for not smoking!
Blank
I think that nicorette addiction runs in the family...im a few steps behind my mom, who in order of substance abuse went; smokes-nicorette (love affair with it for a few years)-zyban-big red gum-back to nicorette-back to zyban-finally off the sauce but enrolled in weight watchers after post nicorette induced weight gain.  My run with smokes lasted about 7 years, was never more than 10 a day, but i currently knock out enough milligrams of nicorette daily to kill a small pony.  To quit smokes i turned to chew and spiraled out of control with that...after nearly burning through my bottom lip i jumped on board with the nicorette.  Hard to say how long this has gone on, but like the Dread Pirate Roberts from the movie Princess Bride, i have built up an immunity to iocane (insert nicorette here) powder.  I pound through a box in less than a week, and have even gone so far as to inquire as to whether it is tax deductible through a health savings account (which i believe it to be).  Yearly savings on taxes will be staggering.  I noticed many of the posts seemed to be a forum for people to exorcise their inner demons and admit to the many embarrassing episodes that nicorette addiction can lead to.  My personally established low point (still ongoing) is a dedicated file folder specifically for the codes on the nicorette boxes, which can be redeemed for gift cards.  When i finally overcame apathy and decided to purge some of my 5 year old files, the nicorette file bulged like a sumo wrestler in spandex.  I was too horrified to count how many of these card board codes i have saved, and to be honest quite a few more are sprinkled throughout my condo in drawers, etc.  Help.  This is out of control.  Unfortunately i have tinitus (constant ringing in my ears) which caffeine and nicotine exacerbate.  My choice is either the horror of a withdrawal in the neighborhood experienced by the most dedicated heroin user, or continuous annoying ringing in my ears.  To date i have chosen the ringing sensation.  Nicorette could easily be re-named rock and a hard place, because from the sounds of it that is where many of us are stuck.  I now face possible inner ear surgery...not sure if that is enough incentive for me to kick nicorette to the curb...if it isn't then i need to be placed in front of a mirror for a long look.  
Hope everyone succeeds in their attempt to quit...quit nicorette that is.  Quitting smoking was stealing candy from a baby by comparison.  Cold turkey sounds like the only solution...i have zero accountability to myself so actually following the recommended schedule is a laugh.  Quitting might sadly be the accomplishment of my lifetime.  
Good luck all.  
Blank
Cut the pieces in halves or quarters and mix with regular gum.This way you get only l/4 or 1/2 the dose and still get your "hit" which does not last very long anyway.
Gradually make your nicorette pieces smaller and your regular gum pieces bigger till you are only chewing tiny pieces of nicorette mixed with regular gum
Blank
Are any of you still reading this thread?  I am determined to get off of this nasty expensive crap.  I have been on it for 8 years.  Much like others, only want my Walgreens 'original flavor' brand, hate textures and taste of all others, spend $50 or MORE a week.  

Nasty, embarrassed to be chomping like a cow, ABC gum and wrappers all over the place, panic when I get low on it,  and the ABSURD amount of money I spend, now lately Walgreens is changing the product to this sweet, sticky texture, so I've been going around to different stores, digging through the shelves, trying to find and stock up on the kind I like, wasting time trying to 'score' like an addict.  This is just downright STUPID.

Has to be having a physical effect on my body by intake of the high dose nicotine substance, but been on it so long that I don't know what it is.  Don't know what to expect for withdrawal; I will see how I respond.  Last gum 4:30 pm yesterday, getting close to 24 hours.  

So far, feel OK, chewing a little bit of regular gum, maybe 4 pieces total, half stick at a time.  Mood OK, proud of myself about quitting and really curious about what effects I'm going to experience.

Can you guys stay in touch here and let me know how this has worked out for you?  I'd really like to hear from you, success or not.

Patty
Blank
OK, passed the 24 hour mark since last piece of gum.  So far so good.  Mood is okay, maybe a little bit irritable but in good humor about it.  Notice that I am not as thirsty, I usually drink a lot of diet soda and only one all day.

Read somewhere that all types of cravings usually only last a few minutes, so when I notice a craving, look at the clock and start timing it.  Done this a few times and forgot about the time and the craving had passed before noticing how long it lasted....

When craving, have been chewing regular chewing gum, would like to quit CHEWING altogether but is difficult to stop that.  Wonder why???  Am I addicted to chewing instead of nicotine?

Hmmmm.
Patty
Blank
Well, this is day 5 since the last nicotine gum.  I am still SERIOUSLY craving it.  So far just chewing regular gum, not giving in to it.  But I have to have a piece of tum in my mouth all the time.  Feeling relatively calm, a little bit irritable.  No headaches or anything like that.  Can't say I am noticing any physical withdrawal going on.

I found a whole pack of my 'brand' of gum on top of my fridge Sun, and was tempted to postpone quitting till I used that up.  On the other hand, I had already been through 48 hours and don't feel like backtracking.  So it's still up there.  Not brave enough to throw it away......  Guess I'm thinking I could still change my mind.  Sure hope not.

Patty
Blank
Sticking with this thread in case some followers happen along, plus helping me track myself.  Today is the 1 week mark since last nicotine gum.  Craving is still there, and still chewing regular gum.  Good news is nowhere near the number of pieces of gum as the nicotine,but I have to have gum in my mouth all the time.  Mood for the most part is OK, one major anger meltdown a few days ago, but the SOB was wrong, so it was justified, huh?  LOL.  From what I read, the physiological withdrawal should be over by now, so rest is psychological addiction.  

All things considered, this hasn't been so bad.  I know I could still talk myself into going back to it, especially since I still have a pack of it (haven't got the heart to throw it away yet).  A pack of regular gum, 15 sticks, $1.59, lasts 2 to 3 days, is turning out to be major money savings.

Patty
Blank
I am so relieved to see I am not alone, phew. I agree with posters who said cold turkey is the only way. I have tried mixing it with regular gum and i always revert to nico gum. Same if i try to reduce the number...i always end up chewing at least 10 a day. So, I quit three days ago and i feel super optimistic but also i feel like i am going a bit mad! and sometimes i feel sort of spaced out, almost dizzy, not quite myself.  The craving is stronger than I expected it to be.. l feel like I need to be eating and chewing every minute of the day. but i am determined it has to stop after 10 years because it is SO EXPENSIVE! I can't afford it.. I am sick of throwing my money down the drain. So I am chomping on baby carrots, celery, apples, and non-nic gum...am running in the park, tidying my apartment...anything to take my mind off it.  I am sure the craving will pass soon...i hope so!  Yes, big pharma found a new way to make big bucks...not so new of course these days. Good luck all other chewers trying to stop. xxxx
Blank
PS Patty, am finding your posts very encouraging and interesting. also, you have my sympathy on all points...i also had a bit of a temper tantrum just yesterday on the phone. I apologised cos the guy did not deserve it at all - I was almost in tears; in fact when i put the phone down i was! and then i thought...oh damn that gum! good luck!!
Blank
Whoo hoo minesamartini, good for you for the 3 days.  So far, I only had that one meltdown, and I have been trying to go oh so easy on myself.  Still frustrated and puzzled by the fact that I have to be chewing all the time.  I really would have expected that the nicotine was the culprit, and it turns out I am a chew-a-holic???  LOL.  

Concern about weight too, as the scale has gone up just a little bit.  I haven't been overeating, I'm also trying to keep my diet healthty in order to fight any physio nicotine withdrawals.

Let's see, in 10 days I've easily saved $100 bucks.  I have completely given up diet soda, as I don't find myself thirsty as much without the nicotine gum, so that's a bonus savings too.

So mood is good, physio good, no strong craving for the N-gum, but going to great lengths to keep myself in safe space.

Luck to others!!!
Patty
Blank
first time poster here.  I have been in stitches reading all these stories.  I am so glad I have such hilarious company.  I've got about 48 hours under my belt.  Die hard chewer.  Quit smoking Aug 27, 1996.  10 or so years ago I really don't think there were that many of us around.   I do not personally know any other gum addicts.  For me, 4mg (always bite in half at least as I like a tiny, hidden chew for all occasions).  NO flavors, and any brand will do.
Have been off the gum many times, but usually on, and I chew all day, only stopping to eat.  If I can't find my mouthguard at night, no problem, a frest piece of gum will be just fine.  Love to take naps with it.  Eye shades, favorite pillow, a half piece of my best buddy, ummmmmm
The only problem is I have issues with anxiety and the constant dose of nicotine positively makes me crawl out of my skin with anxiety.  Just can't live like that anymore and haven't arrived at this lightly.  Have never quit the gum cold turkey before.  Can taper down, no problem.  (not fun, of course, but do-able).  I usually get a little pill bottle and cut a 4mg into as many as 8 pieces while tapering (so I can still "chew" all day).  But there usually comes the day (while tapering down haha) that something worthy of a larger half piece happens.  You know those days....  and that rebellious side sneaks in and I rip open a fresh piece and chomp a bite of it, feeling very satisfied and naughty....and then before I know it I'm back up to my reg. habit and crawling out of my skin again.  over and over and over for..16 years now...
so on hour 48.  does anyone get that funny, metal taste in your mouth if you've gone without a piece, the "time for a piece of gum" taste?  
I decided to "detox" while on vacation... I'm eyeing my suitcase which is of course crammed full with beautiful fresh sheets of 4mg gum (I wouldn't have wanted to run out on vacation, right?)  Can't bear to throw them away yet.  
aggggghhhhhh
thanks for listening.
Blank
sorry to double post, somehow missed the most recent postings (I started reading the ones from years ago and didn't see these.  I am SO glad to have some other very recent quitters to share with.  I am def. withdrawing too and spacy and want to burst into tears and eyes darting around the room..  mind going what's wrong, what's wrong? oh yes, I need my gum...wait, I quit! about a thousand times a day.  and that metallic taste of withdrawal.  
I do know from tapering down before that a lot of this will stop after awhile.  I'm trying to take deep breaths.  My math was wrong, I guess it's only been 14 years!!!  But my gum has been such a large part of my life for so long...
I don't want to say goodbye.  I am just so sick of struggling with intense anxiety and KNOWING I'm adding to the problem by dosing all day!  

congratulations to you others who are in this same boat and taking on the quitting beast!
Blank
I have passed the 3 week mark, with NO nicotine in my system.  It is easier now, I don't think I am having any more withdrawals.  I can't say my anxiety is any better or worse. My substitute chewing istapering off some, with maybe 5 sticks of regular gum (half stick at a time) a day.  On the other hand, I'm not having any hallelujah experience from being nicotine free, and I am definitely up 4 pounds, whether coincidence or not, I will see.  

I am, however, VERY proud of myself.  I feel like I'm getting a monkey off my back.  I think I am just about ready to throw away the last stash......well, maybe not quite yet.  

Trytryagn, your experience was so much like mine that it's eerie.  That was funny reading about cutting the gum into little pieces and putting it in a pill bottle.  I did the same, only put them in an Altoids mint tin.  No, nothing worked, cutting down; like you I would have an "event", then go right back. I am geniunely surprised that I have done over 3 weeks cold turkey.  Hope your getting along okay.

Patty
Blank
I was using the Commit lozenges (plus Nicoderm CQ patches for the first 2 weeks) for about the last two years after quitting smoking, but just like the stories here about the gum, I was unable to kick the lozenges.  

The pH of the base and the artificial sweetener was beginning to cause some brown spotting on the side of my teeth, which my dentist pointed out to me as the beginnings of tooth decay.  But fortunately, at about that time, Nicorette came out with the new "Mini Lozenges" and now I'm using those (2 MG strength).  They have more of a kick and can basically float around your mouth, hiding out in different places, including under the upper lip, which is kind of cool.  

Because they are very small, there isn't much base or sweetner to wreak havoc on your teeth.  So if you're ruining your teeth with the gum, you might give those a try instead.  They do cost more, however.  About $39 for a box of about 84.  I go thru a box a week so it adds up.  

I plan on quitting the lozenges using the patch in a few days - I think it will work.  I buy the 27 MG patches and cut them down with scissors to half size for the first few days, then quarter size, then eighths size, then nothing at 1 or 2 weeks out.  I quit smoking like that once before, many years ago, before I picked it up again more recently.  The patches become annoying (makes me dizzy and itchy) after a while so they are easier to quit than lozenges, which just make me a little itchy but keep me comfortably in the zone.  And I'll substitute some good strong sugar-free mints to keep my mouth entertained.  That's the plan.  

I liked finding this article about Jessica Simpson on the Tonight Show recently confessing that she was hooked on the gum.  Her quote "I was chewing and it was like a party in my mouth"!  I'd say that's a good description about how the mini-lozenges deliver for me.  My teeth and gums feel better than when I was using the big Comitt lozenges.

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/04/28/jessica-simpson-nicorette-gum/

It was also interesting to find that the same company makes all of these products, and they have a website that flat out states to physicians that there is NO PROOF that the lozenges are addicive.  Give me a break.
Blank
I am so glad there are some current posters here!  Talking about it and sharing funny and not so funny stories def helps me.  Patty, can v much relate, no hallelujah exp for me either (or when quitting in the past).  Anxiety is def. better, but on vacation, sooo....
Did finally throw the many packs I'd brought along with me away, keep finding little singular pieces in my bags, but just throw them away otherwise I'd hover over the thoughts....
I KNOW that REAL life for me comes in the absence of nicorette.  It is somehow "within the without".  I have a week under my belt so the craving and funny "time for a new piece of gum" taste is gone.  I do realise how much a part of my life this addiction is from sunrise to sunset....get up, start coffee, feel scattered, reach for the gum..... get in car, reach for the gum... get to work, feel anxious, reach for the gum....on and on.....Keeps me insulated from one form of anxiety while causing another form...can't really explain it but it gets worse throughout the day as pumping nic. into my system.  I miss my wolf in sheep's clothing, I really do, a neat, clean, intimate addiction....but just for today, I am going to put another day under my belt  without it and hold on to the peace and security I feel from not being "nic"ed up.   Good luck to everyone on this journey, glad you are here because I know you understand from experience!!!
Blank
It's too hot outside right now but I find that going for a 1-3 mile morning walk seems to get my motor running for the day and I can drink water instead of coffee.  And I seem to have extra energy throughout the day.  Maybe starting that and cutting out the coffee would be helpful since coffee might be leading you to want the gum.
Blank
Hey Stiff Upper Lip.  Are you off the lozenges?  What is it like?

Patty
Blank
Well, yesterday I threw 2 packages of nicorette in the garbage, and the trash got picked up today. I think about $70 worth.

I guess I am done.  

I'm into my 4th week, and can't imagine any reason why I would want to go back to it.  It seems like I have a piece of regular gum in my mouth at all times, but it is as satisfying as the nicotine, maybe even more because I can just chew the same (smaller) piece and don't have to keep switching it to a fresh piece. So I'm still chomping like a cow (well maybe not quite as bad), but I'm not piling up all those wrappers and wads of chewed up gum.  

I think it's a hoot that I'm a 'chew addict' much more than a nicotine addict.  I guess I'm going to have to google for chewing gum addicts now.

In summation, it was a whole lot easier than I expected it to be.  I don't see any benefit I was getting from it, and a helluva lot of disadvantages.  The withdrawals weren't bad at all, so any of youse thinking about quitting, I say, DO IT.  IT'S NO BIG DEAL!

:-)
Patty

Blank
congratulations on your nic free time!  I am on day 15.  I still do have a "moment" at least once per day where I feel an intense "something is missing" feeling.  A deep breath and realization that this is normal for withdrawal helps.  I have quit before but never quit cold turkey so I have hopes this time it will stick.  I am also experiencing a new interest in things around me and new things.  For example, today I am going scuba diving for the first time.  Just never got around to it before.  Without the gum, it seems like I have all this openess, free time or something?  I think that, too, is a natural gift granted by the universe when you purposely give something elso up that you are addicted to.
good luck to all those struggling alongside with the nicotine!
Blank
Well, I guess it's time for me take the first step and plan for the Q Day.
I am 56 M and have been addicted to nicotine since about 16. Cigs, little cigars, big cigars, Skoal, Nic patches, Nic Gum. you name it, I have shoved it into my body.
I am sick of it. I chew gum from early AM to bed time. Just like all of you.
I too have tinitus and it started about the same time as my heavy gum use. 5 or 6 years ago.
I spend $200 a mos on this demon. $2400 a year after tax dollars. Gotta make $5000 gross to come up with $2400 cash. Sickening isnt it.
I am done. Maybe not today cause I just spent another $75 for a big pack at Costco. But soon. Let's pick a day . August 28th. My dad's birthday. He would have been 101. Unfortunately he died at 69 from heart disease, emphasima from smoking 2 packs of unfiltered death sticks a day for 30 years.
WTF are we doing to ourselves people. Let's give Pfizer a shot in the bottom line and QUIT
Blank
congratulations on your decision!  Quitting is such a personal issue when it comes to dates and cold turkey or cutting down, etc.  I, too, have been a nicotine addict since about 12 or 13.  I love the stuff.  sighing just thinking about it actually.  Acutally quit smoking Aug 27, 1996 but have been on the gum off and on (more on) ever since.
But so fed up with the chewing and the anxiety the overindulgence of nicotine causes me.  I am fine the first piece or two in the morning (first thing of course!) but as the day progresses I am crawling out of my skin, irritable with "slow people" because I am wired for sound by 9AM, and just crazed!  I've, too, just bought 2 huge boxes before coming on this vacation (didn't want to run out, am in Asia and god only knows how I would even explain what it IS here....) but something happened to me the first day of the vacation...I got this little whisper in my mind that what better time would there be for me to quit?  At home everything makes me trigger and I ALWAYS reach for the gum....but on vacation, maybe there's hope?  So I quit chewing and on day 5 or so I threw the supply away.  It's been about 16 days and I head home in 2 days.... it was the right choice for me.  so far at least.
good luck to you (and each of us trying to say goodbye to this drug!)
Blank
After 12 experience & study of NRT therapies i can honestly say in the great majority of cases they do not work ! Do you honestly think the companies that produce these treatments want you to give up ? Do you honestly think your countries government want you to give up ? there is way to much money involved for both companies & governments... Of course they want you to continue smoking & using NRT therapies....

One method i know which has a fantastic success rate, however is not condoned by the wider medical community is as follows.

Basically it involves the use of varenicline in conjunction with an e-cigarette at first using 16mg liquid nicotine then 0mg e-smoke liquid for the final placebo affect.

Before commencing this method you will need to purchase an e-cigarette starter pack & 1 bottle of 16mg e-liquid refill & 1 bottle of 0mg e-liquid refill, these can be purchased online from hundreds of dealers. you will also need a doctors prescription for Champix *

The process is quite simple

days 1 - 7: substitute 50% of your cigarettes with 16mg e cigarettes

Day 8: Start your course of Champix & continue to substitute 50% of your cigarettes with 16mg e cigarettes

Day 12 continue your course of Champix & cease real cigarettes today & only use e-cigarettes from this point on.

Day day 16 - 18 continue your course of Champix & cease using the 16mg e-cigarette liquid & commence using 0mg liquid.

You can now complete your course of champix & continue to use your 0mg e-cigarette.

Over 90% of people who try this method quit smoking for good.....

Many people will ask about the safety of e-cigarettes... well the jury is still out on that one! however the way i see it is, if you can give up smoking in around 4 weeks using this method then you will probably not even need to use the e-cigarette anymore so this has to be better then continuing smoking traditional cigarettes.....
Blank
"e-cigarette starter pack & 1 bottle of 16mg e-liquid refill & 1 bottle of 0mg e-liquid refill, these can be purchased online from hundreds of dealers."

I have never tried this, but my daughter has replaced her cigarettes with this.  It is costlier than smoking, but her chronic bronchitis has improved a lot.  For her, being unable to quit cigarettes otherwise, it is much better for her.

I wouldn't switch to it from the nicotine gum, knowing what I do now, as once I made my mind up to give it up, it hasn't been that tough at all.

I have passed the one month mark.  Don't miss the nicotine AT ALL.  But still chewing LOTS of regular chewing gum.  Don't know what I will do about that eventually.

Smiles, and luck to all,
Patty
Blank
I am on day 3 of quitting the lozenges.  Like someone else, my favorite brand was the CVS cinnamon and they weren't that easy to find in 2mg which is what I was using until I discovered CVS cinnamon and then I'd take whatever was available which meant I went up from 2mg at a time to 4mg at a time.  At first it seemed to give me a bit of a headache but I got over it.

In three days, I have gained 6 pounds.  My helpful husband bought me a bunch of candy replacements and that sort of thing and I have tried to sleep as much as I can to avoid the continuous cravings I'm still having.

I have kicked the trash can for being in its usual place which was suddenly in my way, yelled at people who weren't here which means they couldn't hear me (thank goodness) and now have two huge pimples.  I'm 52.  Did I mention that?  I shouldn't be having to worry about pimples at 52!!

All I want to do is get through a day without thinking incesssantly about a CVS cinnamon nicotine lozenge.  Thanks to everyone who has posted here, you've given me renewed strength to try to keep going.
Blank
1406964_tn?1283207466
Hi Crabitha,

If you haven't done so already, I would strongly recommend visiting the site http://www.whyquit.com

I think you may find it really helpful.

Take care
Blank
Hey Guys, I just came across this thread and it seems recent, I am only 21 and have been smoking only 7 months!, I don't even smoke much, 6-10 per day. But my family and friends ALL don't smoke, I tried it due to stress (not as a relief, but when I was stupid enough to take tons of new risks)

I have been planning to quit for 2 months now because I don't want to have to hide or keep secrets any more. But its really difficult. My problem first was that I didn't think I was addicted to nicotine, I even went a week once without smoking, but promptly started up again.

Then just on Saturday I decided to say I was addicted to smoking because clearly I was failing at giving up!, I would consider myself to have relatively good will power but whenever I thought of smoking they are just too easy to get hold off :(

So on Monday I bought some of these Nicorette gums and have since been researching them, it scares me that so many people are addicted to them; i dont want to transfer addiction but give it up entirely! However to see if they worked i tried one; and... nothing; they did nothing. I didnt feel satisfied and my passing didnt crave; i didnt even notice anything other than the peppery taste (and i was doing it right)

So here i am today; researching a variety of topics; I realise I dont know how to quit.. I cant seem to control my desire for a smoke; and the Nicorette does nothing to me; i am not going to up the intake because this is where an addiction transfers.

I still have doubts, am i addicted to smoking (the nicotene) or just because i enjoy it. I really do, i realise i am not addicted to the gum (after reading this i will not let this happen) and i realise smoking 6-10 per day is not the same as most smokers; but i have to quit and cant.

Has anybody here found a way that is actually effective? Am i pyschologically addicted or actually addicted. And does anybody have any advice.. i keep throwing my cigarettes and lighters and feeling good about finally quitting; only to buy more the next day.

Thanks for reading if you did, it was interesting reading these stories; its scandalous that both cigarettes and these replacements are so easy to get hold of. but i am at a loss for what i need to do

-Tom
Blank
I've been using Nicorette gum 2mg for about 2 years. I like them, just not the way the cost rapes my bank account. Smoking started when I was about 15. When I turned 20, my mom paid for a prescription for the patch through our physician. At that point I discovered quitting was horribly difficult! When I was 30, the patch was over the counter and I made it through! Unfortunately, I believed I had some sort of control and ended up rolling right back into cigarettes. I tried again around 35 but obviously to no avail. It wasn't until I was about 42 that I realized that breathing was more important than inhaling nicotine through cigarette smoke. Like others on this forum, I found that the patches will slip off when sweaty and I needed something more dependable. I chose the gum.  
I haven't had all the mouth, teeth, gum, jaw issues and I'm not sure about the blood pressure issues...I didn't monitor that. To avoid the nightmares I removed the patch at night and had a fresh one at the ready for the morning. The worst was when I would smoke while using the patch due to the lack of hand to mouth activity. I even bought lower mg patches to compensate! I started using the gum. Now I don't smoke. Now I can breathe.
So here I am after reading everyone's posts, worried how I will feel if I try to quit. If it was easy to avoid the multiple stresses that bombard me daily I would dance happily into quitting. There will be a quit date. There is inspiration...just not enough calm right now to ride me through the storm of quitting nicotine.
Thank you everyone for your contributions to this post! Especially pdilmore...now I'm wondering if I could transfer to a gum addiction...
PorterWood
Blank
I am so glad I found this forum.  My husband is a gum addict.  He smokes cigars too.  On his doctor's advice he took up gum chewing to quit cigars.  Unfortunately he never quit the cigars and added another addiction.  So, he smokes cigars when he can and when he can't smoke he chews gum.  I don't even know how much he spends per month and I'm afraid to ask him because it will turn into a big argument, and it will be my fault.  He also has a caffeine addiction via coffee, ice tea, whatever--the stronger the better.  

He has become unbearable to live with.  He is always irritable and nasty.  He is either jittery and anxious or tired and exhausted, and always depressed.  We are foster parents and are trying to be good role models to 2 young girls, but his mood swings are really starting to effect our family.  He overreacts to normal kid stuff and we have to walk on eggshells around him, hopefully not offending him in any way.  

I find gum in the laundry, cars, all over the place.  What should I do with it?  Should I start saving it and present it to him after a length of time?  I feel like I am enabling him because I simply give it back to him.  

I don't even talk to him about this anymore because he becomes defensive immediately and starts pointing out my "faults".  Both his parents had heart attacks in their 50s, so he is genetically predisposed to this condition--does that give him the right to do as he pleases because this is his fate?  

Trying to Understand
Blank
Have not chewed any nicorette gum for about a week now - yippee !  Have been chain chewing 4 mg. nicorette for about 19 years this time.  Am using the step 1 patch (21 mg. in 24 hours), which is WAY less nicotine than the amount I got in the gum.   Also using regular sugarless gum, but the sorbitol sweetener causes me major gas and stomach distress.  So trying to make the trident or whatever brand last for several hours at a time.  Plan to wean myself to the step 2 patch (14 mg.) and then give up nicotine altogether :)  now if I can keep from gaining too much weight...
Blank
Well I finally quit nicotine.  The last time I posted here was about two months ago.  I thought I would come back and share with you what worked for me.   I did it pretty much as planned.  
After quitting smoking, for two years, I got hooked on nicotine lozenges.
I was hooked on Nicorette's new 'Mini Lozenges' (2 mg), which are kick-*** awesome compared to the gum and the older big lozenges.  They don't do nearly as much damage to teeth and gums.  They are SO GOOD that I held out until common sense got the better of me, when I realized I was spending $10 a day on my habit, up to consuming an entire 27-lozenge pack a day.
Two weeks ago I ate my final lozenge around mid-morning, and then put on half of a 21mg Nicoderm CQ patch on my shoulder.  And to fool my mouth I bought white and orange tic tacs, because they're the same size as the mini lozenge and pack a good tingly punch under my upper lip, just like I was used to with the lozenge.
The next day I was down to a quarter patch, and after about 3 days total I was down to just the tic tacs.
It was at that point that I realized that about 75% of my addiction was psychological!  The tic tacs actually gave me the same rush and tingly sensation (to the point that I feel a little itchy) as the nicotine lozenges had, but there is no nicotine!  Hooray for the placebo affect!  Most of the good feeling is just coming from being subconsciously convinced that you're getting what you're after, and the brain responds by releasing a rewarding flow of dopamine.  
So for the past two weeks I've been a TIC TAC JUNKIE, at a cost of about $1 a day.  

My dentist pointed out yesterday that there's a little hole in my tooth right where I like to keep my tic tac.  So I went out today to Hi Health and bought a container of "Spry Power Peppermints" which use Xylitol as the sweetner.  Xylitol is actually GOOD for teeth and can help reverse early cavities by allowing teeth to re-mineralilze themselves over the course of a few weeks or months.  I bought some products with 'Recaldent' in them too, which also helps teeth to naturally remineralize.  Hopefully my teeth will fix themselves since the damage is in its early stages, and I won't need fillings.   (My dentist had pointed out before where a few of my teeth had successfully remineralized on their own so I know this is real).  And I picked up some toothpicks flavored with 'tea tree oil' and some with cinnamon from another health food store.   My mouth is loving these and I'm so glad to be done with nicotine.  
Blank
This is hilarious yet incredibly pathetic.  I was doing a Google search for Nicorette addiction and stumbled across this message board.  I found a post I could really relate to from Andy1965 dated November 22, 2008.  As I was reading it I was like WOW!!!  Somebody is in the same EXACT situation as me.  It was my post from 2 years ago and NOTHING has changed.  Still addicted to this (what should be illegal) product.  Hopefully, in another 2 years things will have changed.....blah
Blank
You might try switching to the new mini-lozenges and then taper down to Spry mints from there.  See my post above yours.  I'm still doing just great with just these mints - they pack a cool punch and keep my motor running just like nicotine used to.  I never physically noticed when I finally weaned myself off nicotine.  I'm still 'addicted' to having something spikey in my mouth but it's just mint flavor and xylitol, which is good for my teeth.  And I notice it helps to supress my apetite very well - no increase in how much I am eating, so no weight gain.  Works perfect for me, at least!
Blank
This thread is hilarious, haha... and all too familiar. I quit smoking 15 years ago and have been on and off the Nicorette at various points. I've gone years without it, and years on it. I'm currently back on it because my girlfriend dumped me in August. It was a bad break-up and the first thing I did was go out and buy a bottle of scotch and a pack of Nicorette. It was intended to just "get me through the tough period" but I'm still on it and finding it tough to quit. From the many times I have successfully quit I learned that what worked best for me was to cut back for a few days prior to going cold turkey. I would summon all the willpower I could and try to go longer and longer without having a piece. After a few days of that I would go cold turkey and never look back. The first few days of that always sucked, but it gradually gets better after that. It basically requires a shift in mental attitude. Coordinate your quit date by turning over a new leaf - eating better, exercising. Having a goal to focus on helps to put a positive light at the end of the tunnel. For me it was getting in good shape and focusing all my energy on my health and diet. I'm going to try to quit again soon. My desktop is littered with empty blister packs and packages. I once fell asleep with a piece still "parked" and woke up to find it stuck to my favorite new shirt... a gooey mess. Good luck to everyone else trying to quit this devilish product! I do owe Nicorette a lot though. It enabled me to quit cigarettes which had a far more destructive impact on my health. For all I know I owe my life to the addictive gum.
Blank
I was only a sporadic smoker, the most I ever smoked was a 1/2 pack a day for maybe a couple years. I quit smoking, cold turkey, then felt like I was going to go back to it and decided to try the gum (that was 2004?). I've been hooked ever since. I'm convinced that the tobacco people are in with the pharmaceutical people and they're all raking in the bucks on nicotine addiction. I once called Nicorette and asked about side effects of long-term usage. They said that it hadn't been studied beyond six months of usage. They have GOT to be aware that people are addicted to it. I've met several people who are addicted, one person told me not to even try quitting, it was impossible (which it isn't). I have quit several times, sometimes under stressful circumstances, and always end up going back to it. I just get a feeling that I'm going to crawl out of my skin or explode. I chew about 20 pieces of the 2mg per day. It relieves anxiety BUT it also increases anxiety. Then, in July, I was diagnosed with gastrointestinal reflux disorder. The way my insides felt I was sure it was cancer. Have been on pepcid twice a day since then. I have finally joined a stop smoking class to quit. I was afraid that they would kick me out but the addiction specialist said I was in the right place and she had worked with other gum addicts. My quit date is 11/30. Yesterday I had 20 pieces (I chew them in halfs), today I am going for 19 but am concerned I won't make it. My plan is to reduce the number of pieces of gum by one per day. My concern is that if I am able to do this and do quit then I will have to deal with the desire to start again. However, the stop smoking class is going to deal with these kinds of issues so I'll just take it one day at a time.
Blank
First off, I quit today, and I want to stay off, for good!  I have quit in the past, and plunged back in months later.. The more you quit and relapse, the harder it gets the next time to quit.  Thanks to all of your experiences, I've decided to quit without the nicorettes, because it's unbelievable how the side effects you've experienced are almost worst than Cigarettes lol.. So cold turkey is the way to go!  
I will keep telling myself, that no matter what, no matter where I am or what i'm doing, I will....
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Later people!
Blank

Thanks to all the posts - old and recent - it really helps my resolve to quit.
I had my last piece of Nicotine gum exactly 12 hours ago.

Quit smoking 1 yr and 2 months ago.  That was easy.  Periodontist was informing me for years that smoking was ruining my gums, and  it looked like I may lose an expensive implant.  It so happened around this time that I had left an old pack of American Sprit Naturals (or Organics )  in my car for months that were very stale and awful when I bought them, and I didn't have time to buy any new ones.  Yeech ! I quickly went from half to 3/4 of a pack a day of fresh cigs to 4 stale cigs, then 2, then I had one and it was so horrible I didn't have another.  Coincidentally, when I got home a neighbor asked to bum a smoke and I gave her the whole pack.  Besides, I was chewing Nicorette so I could do without the cigs.  No sweat.  

The Nicorette worked into my life in '95.  Got a $5 co-pay from my former GP when I was about to go on a one-week camping vacation with my girlfriend.  I never smoked around her, and we lived together, so this was really cool that I could be around her and be high on nicotine.  4 mg plain were way too strong and I got the hiccups a lot, but I didn't smoke for the entire week.  I might have got some for our long camping trip the following year through my doctor, but years later when they came out over the counter I made sure to keep some handy when I need a fix around my wife and son.  (Same former GF.)  Well, this went on for
5 - 6 years and I found myself using Nicorette at work as well so I could get more done without having to go out and smoke.  I still had to have a few cigs, but not as many.  And I was more productive.

Some time before I quit - for sure less than 7 months - I asked my periodontist if smoking or chewing would be worse for my teeth.  His reply was smoking.  I took his word and assumed that he had done his research and was pretty sure in my mind that sometime soon I would ditch the cigs for good and stick with the "safe" Nicorette.  Besides the possibility of losing an implant, I was sick of having painful deep cleanings 4 times a year.  This of course was due to the cigarette usage according to the dental hygienist and the Dr.  That was another major factor in quitting smoking as well.  There were also some weird tingly sensations in my back after I smoked, and occasionally some of my taste buds would get irritated.  

So I quit smoking completely and continued chewing the Nicorette, but with a much greater appetite now for the gum.  I was using  approx 11 2mg mint pieces a day, give or take a few depending on how long my day was.  Just recently I was still using about the same, but maybe 12-13 on a really hard day.   So compared to many of the posts here, I wasn't using that much.  However, no change whatsoever with the issue of the implant - it had to be removed about 4 months later.  And I still had staining on my teeth even though I wasn't smoking at all !    I have some deep pockets in my upper right molars and these abscess one a year around early fall.  This year - without the smoking - was no different.  Still had the occasional irritated taste bud - though not as frequent or as intense - but I realized that lemons were initiating this problem.  And those tingly back sensations all but disappeared, but occasionally reappeared while chewing.  All these problems never really went away.  So is smoking really the culprit here?

A few weeks ago - while my body was fighting my family's flus - I though I got and abscess and an infected sinus.  Went to periodontist and he said it wasn't an abscess, but scheduled to remove those two molars anyway at the first of the year.  Great.  I thought quitting smoking was supposed to solve all this according to the hygienist and the Dr.  I had a lot of pain in my upper right molars, in my right sinuses and a headache behind my right eye.
And I felt like I had the flu - achy, feverish, lethargic.  Just awful.  It went away after a few days (no antibiotic) and then returned a week later after I pushed myself really late all night into the next day.  Same symptoms.  Had a prescription filled for Cipro ( I loathe antibiotics !) and started taking it.  The pain seemed to come and go (about 6 hours a stretch) for no real reason.  I couldn't tie it to any one activity.  It also made my sinuses extremely sensitive to certain smells like I was allergic to them.  Also, my sense of smell became very acute.  I went to see an ENT and he said I absolutely had no signs of sinuses infection or trouble, and that I didn't need to take the antibiotic.  I had been feeling pretty good and free from pain for about 12 hours, so I popped half of a 2 mg Nicorette and what immediately happens?  All the same symptoms.  It seemed that the Nicorette was irritating an already questionable tooth and may have dissolved enough of the tooth so that the nicotine was directly irritating the nerve, which became inflamed and then irritated everything up in my sinus cavity.  That's my take, I'm gonna run it by the DR, but heck ...  I've lost about a week of prime Christmas shopping time laying around 'cause I felt so bad, and it was due to Nicorette !  

I wonder if many of my periodontal problems have been exacerbated my the Nicorette use?
As bad as smoking is for your teeth and gums, it seems constant Nicorette use may initiate dental problems 4-5 times faster than smoking.  And you know what?  Every time I go in to see my periodontist or hygienist they take my blood pressure.  When I smoked, it used to be very low.  Since I've been chewing full time it's gone up noticeably.

I think the medical establishment has to wake up and accept the responsibility of telling patients the truth  - that as bad as smoking is to some parts of your body, Nicorette can be just as bad to others and often in a much shorter period of time.

I cannot stand having the pain in my jaw, teeth, sinuses and behind my eye ever again.
I am resolving to quit chewing Nicorette and go cold turkey from nicotine for the first time in
27 years.  I am not going to resume smoking, although it is tempting right now.  I'm chewing gum and had some carrots and cracked some walnuts.

Wish me strength.

Blank
5th large paragraph down should read:

"A few weeks ago - while my body was fighting my family's flus - I thought I got an abscessed tooth and an infected sinus."

6th large paragraph down should read:

"I wonder if many of my periodontal problems have been exacerbated by the Nicorette use? "

Sorry for the boo boos - not the best proof-reader.
Blank
24 hours w/ no gum.
Blank
48 hours and no nicotine of any sort, just some regular gum.  I expected worse.  
Still some discomfort from the sugar / chemicals in the gum that are slightly irrigating
the upper right molars, but nothing compared to the pain from the Nicorette.
Hope I can keep going without breaking down and buying a pack of cigarettes.  It's hard
not to because I've got so much to do with Christmas just a day ahead, and I'd like nothing better than to get amped up on nicotine and stay up all night and get things accomplished.

48 hours.  That's pretty good, though.  There have been other times when I was too sick to smoke that I went longer without nicotine.  When I was first dating my wife we'd spend a few days together and I wouldn't smoke the entire time.  Of course I had her to distract me  from the withdrawals.  And those were pretty severe withdrawals back then when I used to
smoke regular cigs with the enhanced tobacco / chemical  cocktail.  Years ago I got sick of being jittery when I was trying sleep so I switched to Natural cigarettes with no additives.  They are a lot harsher and dryer - probably worse for your gum and teeth - but the nicotine effects are much milder.  You end up smoking more for the act of smoking.  When I quit those cigs the Nicorette was much stronger than the cigs by far.

I'm procrastinating.  Got dishes to do, things to organize etc.   Later
Blank
I think I am an expert on Nicotine Addiction.  I have been chewing on and off since it first came on the market by prescription.  For the past 4 years, I have literaly had a piece in my mouth unless I have been sleeping or eating.  I chew the 4 mg and usually chew between 30 and 40 pieces a day.  It costs me an arm and a leg even though I buy it cheap on ebay.  I was a chain smoker and just traded in the cig for the gum.  

Long story short, I had constant body aches and could sleep 15 hours a day.  My job has really suffered.  I hired a personal trainer because I had no energy to get to the gym and this forced me to work out.

I went on the nicotine patch 4 days ago.  I knew I couldn't stop cold turkey.  I keep thinking of the gum, but everytime I do, I remember, I have the patch on so I don't need to have a piece.  It is definitely bothering me.  My face looks like I aged 10 years and I looked very young for my age before.  I am 49.

I know I will be so happy when this is all out of my system.  Even though I feel like sh-- and have a terrible cold, I already feel better.  I have also been on sleeping pills for 20 years and I stopped them cold turkey.  I am sleeping very little, but I know I will eventually crash and then get some normal sleep.

Thank God my hair hasn't fallen out (although it has gotten thinner) and my teeth are okay, but I have receding gums and TMJ which I know I got from chewing.  I also have a problem with my ears being blocked often.  I know the gum caused this too.

If you chew, you need to get off it.  I kept asking my doctor if the gum was bad and she said not to worry about it.  For the last few years I kept going on the internet to see if I could find some information on the bad effects and being addicted, but there was very little info.  I'm glad now more people are speaking up because this is very bad for your health and your LOOKS!  Who wants to have no energy and get sick all the time.  My face was constantly red and hot.

If anyone needs advice or has questions, please let me know.  I may be able to help you.
Yvonne
Blank
Hang in there and keep the gum out of your life.  It's been a week and 1.5 days for any nicotine for me.  (No patch.) The gum was killing my teeth and gums. It's hard to say if it is getting any easier.  I'm not thinking about chewing the gum - and I have 2 1/2 boxes laying around - but I keep thinking how easy it would be to drive to the gas station and pick up a pack of cigs.  

So why is it that doctors don't have any info on how bad this stuff is?  Do the manufactures of Nicorette et al suppress this info?  Seems like it.  The only groups that have enough money to fund a thorough study are the nicotine and tobacco companies.

It's funny all the stuff I gave up cold turkey throughout my life:  Garlic, Dairy, Wheat, Salt,
all prepared/canned/packaged foods/drinks, caffeine, alcohol....   but this nicotine habit still leaves my wanting to light up or something, even though I haven't smoked for over 14 months.  It's a very powerful drug in terms of addiction.  At least for me.  Maybe others have other addictions.

Good luck Yvonne
Blank
See my October 2010 post above on how I quit nicotine.  I'm still nicotine free and loving these Spry mints that I buy at the health food store.  I feel like I'm getting the same pleasure out of them that I did with nicotine although there's absolutely nothing in them besides xylitol sweetner and peppermint extract.  My wife is annoyed that I am popping a new mint every 20 minutes so lately she's been bugging me to quit the mints.  I'm thinking about it but at this point I won the battle against nicotine so who really cares when I quit the mints!
Some of the benefits of xylitol mints I can share with you:
- significant oral gratification
- they are an appetite suppressant, so your food portions will stay the same size as they were when you were on nicotine.  At least that has been my experience.
- they prevent cavities and stop existing ones in their tracks, allowing teeth to repair themselves in some cases, through a process called re-mineralization.
- they seem to boost the immune system - my wife and daughter have been through three colds this fall and winter season and I was IMMUNE to all of them.  I simply don't get sick right now.   Normally a fall/winter head cold is 100% guaranteed for me.

Whether this is all placebo effect or whether the xylitol is chemically and physically doing some of these things remains to be proven, but these are the results that I'm getting, regardless.

Best in the new year all!

Blank
Thank you for your reply.  I am on day 9 and I definately feel better.  I don't think I could handle it cold turkey because I was loading up on so much nicotine.  What I didn't realize is that I was on such an awful cycle... nicotine during the day and sleeping pills at night because I couldn't sleep due to the nicotine.  I was always tired.  I have only been sleeping a few hours a night, but when I wake up, I still have more energy then when I slept 10 hours.  I think in 10 years they are going to probably have a show that will be intervention for nicotine addiction, never mind smoking.

If anyone out there is still chewing the gum, I promise you, if you quit, you will feel so much better.  I look better too.  My boyfriend has noticed and told me I seem much happier.  Remember, you can't chew in moderation....it's like alcohol.  Sooner or later, you will increase because your body builds up a resistance to it.

Good luck to all and keep me posted.

Yvonne
Blank
Thank you for the info.  I will definately try those mints.  Do you know if they are sold anywhere else besides health stores (CVS, supermarket)?.

Yvonne
Blank
I buy them at HiHealth.  But you can also buy them online.  Amazon sells them.  Do a google for Spry Mints and see the pages that have peppermint flavor.  They also make a gum, but I haven't tried it.  The mints are what works for me.  I'm afraid to stop eating them but I know it's all in my head.   There's nothing online that says xylitol or peppermint is addictive.
Blank
Thank you so much, I appreciate it.  I think Peppermint is actually very good for you and at least you will always have good breath!

Yvonne
Blank
going cold turkey ,my first day ,i have been on it for three years .i was on 2mgs a day ,a pack a week now i have upped it to 4mgs a day until my husband found out and said (like a sgt major ) that i might as well start smoking again however,it`s not like i have any desire to smoke as the tab`s take that craving away but leaves with another craving /addiiction.finding hard to concentrate literaly on doing this post .is there any light at the end of the tunnel?,can anybody help ,i am having to have my husband help me in doing this post it`s that bad !!!!!!!!!!
Blank
Well I,m so glad I found this site I quit smoking 8 years ago thanks to nicorrette didnt realise then that I'd still be hooked 8 years later.My favourite is Niquitin 4mg it's the cream of the crop for me when it comes to the gum and I've tried them all.I chew constantly and lie now when I buy them and the sales assistant asks how long I've quit for.Im attempting to quit on Monday 10th January and my method is cold turkey,god help the folk around me!!IIt's good to know I'm not alone but 8 years is to long and I'm thinking of the money now,the whole reason I quite cigs in the first place..wish me luck all..

Alison
Blank
Well I,m so glad I found this site I quit smoking 8 years ago thanks to nicorrette didnt realise then that I'd still be hooked 8 years later.My favourite is Niquitin 4mg it's the cream of the crop for me when it comes to the gum and I've tried them all.I chew constantly and lie now when I buy them and the sales assistant asks how long I've quit for.Im attempting to quit on Monday 10th January and my method is cold turkey,god help the folk around me!!IIt's good to know I'm not alone but 8 years is to long and I'm thinking of the money now,the whole reason I quite cigs in the first place..wish me luck all..

Alison
Blank
I quit smoking 10 years ago.  I used the patch and the gum and stayed nicotine free for about 8 years.  Then my son had some problems and I lit up again but didn't make it a habit, but started using the gum thinking it was better.  I had to get off the gum at that time by using Wellbutrin, a prescription my doc gave me.  It worked then but it totally changed my personality when I was on it.  I was on Wellbutrin for about 1 year.  Over the last year I got addicted to the gum again.  10 2-mg a day is where I was at.  On Monday Jan 3 I had my last piece of gum.  I am using the patch at 7mg a day and that seems to help.  Today I ran out of the patch so thought I'd try to go without but I went out and bought a pack of cigs, smoked 2 and threw them away.  Then i went and bought more patches and am wearing one now.  I couldn't do it cold turkey.  This time I know that the gum is almost more addictive than smoking.  I like the gum more, maybe because I could hide it and have a piece whenever I wanted it.  I'm going to stay on the patch as long as I need to and not trust myself to go off it too soon.  I am addicted to nicotine and we all know it controls us more than we want to admit.  If we want to gain control back, we each need to find a way to quit.  Everyone has a different technique.  Good luck to all!
butterfly3731
Blank
jesus, i'm so glad i found this thread.  i quite smoking 12 years ago... cold turkey.  then, when my boyfriend quit smoking about 6 years ago, i thought it would be fun to chew his nicorette gum.  it's been nonstop ever since.  recently, i was waking up with a dry, sore throat every morning... not to mention that i don't have a great stomach to begin with.  i've tried to quit the gum before because of stomach issues.  today i put on a patch, and have been chewing regualr gum.  i've been sober 25 years, by the way.  i can't believe how much i don't want to stop this gum.  but, if i'm only chewing it to stop from going through withdrawals... what a crappy high that is.  also, mouth sores have been a growing issue.  i should be able to do this, but it feels impossible.  god, please help me.
Blank
I'm glad I found this site!  I thought I was the only person in the world (except my sister) addicted to Nicorette gum!  I've been chewing the 2mg original since 1989 when I quite smoking.  Can you believe?  I hate myself for this addiction to stupid gum.  Then my hair started getting thin and that's when I made the decision to finally end the gum because I read there is a connection between losing hair and chewing the gum.

It's been not quite two days but so far so good.  
Blank
1652526_tn?1301782895
My sister had a more expensive addition to the gum then she had when she smoke "very little" I heard you still have a chance for some type of cancer in your mouth..Correct me if I am wrong.
Blank
I wonder if anyone has been diagnosed with a kidney tumor and has been chewing Nicorette for years?
Blank
I Love Nicorette, especially the first piece in the morning! I get it at Walmart the 170 piece package for $32. I have been chewing on and off for about 3 years now. I switched to the mini lozenges for a while when my jaw started to ache but went back to the gum since it costs a lot less then the mini lozenges. I am always chewing the gum. I switch between 2 and 4 milligrams depending on my mood. Sometimes I think to myself when standing in front of the boxes, "I am going to cut back and just get the 2 milligrams," or "Why buy the two milligram I get more bang for the buck with 4 and I'll chew less." Yeah, right! It is so ridiculous. I waste a ton of money on it.  I justify this by thinking, "It is my only treat/ addiction and it is not that bad for me. At least I am not drinking or doing real drugs." My boyfriend hates that I chew the gum. He is always complaining about the wrappers I leave everywhere. I sometimes  will pre-open the gum so that he doesn't hear my ripping and punching out the gum. Why can't they make a silent opening package? I have had co-workers ask why I always chew gum. It is embarrassing, I feel like a cow. The other day I did the laundry and unfortunately a piece of ABC was mixed in with my clothes and the stupid gum got all over my favorite pair of running shorts. So, maybe I don't love nicorette. Like most things it is a love/hate relationship. I honestly kinda want to quite, I think it is more of my boyfriends persistent nagging. I will quit eventually. Maybe now isn't the time. I can always find an excuse as to why this is not the time to quit. How about New Years?
Blank
This site is giving me the courage and the confidence to quit my Nicorette habit. It's so darn expensive. I want to thank each of you who has posted their journey through quitting. My day is tomorrow. I'll pretty much have run out of my namebrand box then. And because of your generosity, you guys, I know it can be done.

I'll try to keep you posted on my progress.

BTW, i quit smoking 28 years cold turkey. i picked up gum about 5 years ago. What a bigbig mistake! although, i knew at the time it would be.

Anyway, I'll be back to let you know how it goes.
Blank
It's been two weeks today quitting (cold turkey) the gum, after 10 years of chewing it.  Smoked 20 years before that. Chewed tobacco four years before that. So 35 years of nicotine addiction.  It is freakin' killing me, but by God, I'm gonna do it!  

Pray for me.
Blank
It's been two weeks today quitting (cold turkey) the gum, after 10 years of chewing it.  Smoked 20 years before that. Chewed tobacco four years before that. So 35 years of nicotine addiction.  It is freakin' killing me, but by God, I'm gonna do it!  

Pray for me.
Blank
I chew the WM 4mg $31 boxes also. Did you quit?? How is it going??? I'm hopelessly hooked on the gum, over 35 pieces a day. Beats the smokes maybe, but my throat is continuously irritated and I know I'm in trouble but can't/don't have the willpower to get through the withdrawals. I don't even know how long I've been on them. Years ago I started gum to get off cigars, which I stupidly started up after having gotten off of cigs for a year using "Wellbutrin" which I will never, ever use again!!! That crap is horrific. Anyway, nice to see I'm not alone in this mess. Best of luck!
Blank
Started chewing the nicorette gum in 1999 to wean me off my chewing tobacco habit. It is a much safer subsitute. You do end up with gums bits everywhere, in pockets, on clothes and in the laundry. The constant chewing grinds your teeth. So 2 weeks ago I finally decided to quite cold turkey. I tried to quit before gradually but it never worked. The first few days were hell. Heavy withdrawl (withdrawal), anxiety, irritable, I couldnt sleep had a headache and was generally miserable. But now 2 week later the cravings are fading and I have more energy and am sleeping better.I dont want to go back on the gum, I want to save my teeth.
Blank
hi, I found your comment very interesting. I used to work as a doctor and wanted to offer you some advice. I am not sure if this message will go directly to you so I have copied and pasted your original message so you will be able to identify yourself.
I was a little concerned that you told your doctor no when he asked if you smoked. If your doctor does not already know that you used to smoke in the past i think it is important for you to inform him. The reason I say this is because the symptoms you describe sound like they are related to your previous smoking. Such as the bronchitis. You may need to undergo some tests. I do not think that bronchitis would be related to gum chewing and I do strongly urge you to get more advice from your own GP and to be clear about you ex-smoking history.
For your information I also am an ex-smoker and have been addicted to nictonine gum for about 5years however i agree with you the best way to give it up is to go cold turkey which i did and stopped chewing for 7 weeks.
Please seek medical attention for your low white blood cell count, your bronchitis eopisodes and your sinusitis and other symptoms as these may be related to something else that needs some medical attention and investigation. If youdo truly believe it is related to gum chewing then please tell your GP and they will be able to help you to discover whether it is to do with the gum or whether infact it may be something more serious needing attention and treatment. I do not know much about the harmful effects of the gum but I just felt I ought to advise you that it could also be realted to something else. I hope this is useful for you.
Best wishes

your original message:
FormerNicCopeUser  
Nov 27, 2007
To: AllHi,

I’ve been a Nicorette gum user for 5 years…I chewed about 12-18 pieces per day.  I used Copenhagen for 20 years prior.  Nicorette really helped me quit Copenhagen…but now I’m obviously addicted to the gum…The gum is obviously better than Copenhagen for many reasons..however..I can tell you that my blood pressure has risen, and I have a low white blood cell count because of the gum.  I get sick all the time due to this.  If I over chew it I’ll get a sore throat and eventually a sinus infection.  My doctor always asked me ..”do you smoke?”  I tell him no…he doesn’t  know I use any tobacco products.  He says “ you get bronchitis s a lot”.  
Bottom line the gum is no good for you…It will have long term effects.     So…I started Chantix last week…I quit that after 5 days…major side effect for me..I couldn’t sleep..and when I did I’d have nightmares all night…so I went out and bought 20 packs of every flavored sugarless gum and quit the Nicorette gum cold turkey last Saturday…I have to say the key is to set a quit date… throw out the gum (I have to flush down toilet otherwise I would search trash).  I can tell you this being Day 4 that is much much easier than quitting Cope or cigs…Right now I already feel confident I’m done with it…It has been extremely easy to do it…I already feel better…So give it a try cold turkey before using Chantix/zybin….Try to go 3 days…I think the Nicorette gum was making me depressed too..I always had that crashing feeling/lethargic feeling…Do you know what I mean?   Anyhow…I don’t have a lot of will power but canning the gum in not too hard..just set the date…throw all gum out….buy 20 packs of all flavors of sugarless gum…I had minor withdrawal symptoms but nothing that made me want to drive to store and buy nic gum.  Good Luck to all…

Blank
I am so glad that I found this site. I too was beginning an extreme addiction to nicorette. I have been chewing about 12 pieces of the Walmart brand 2 mg (sometimes the 4mg if they were out 2mg) a day since May. I smoked cigerettes for about 15 years but had quite using the nicotine gum 5 years ago. If I remember correctly, I did not use the gum very long back then. But, 2011 has proved to be the most stressful year of my life and rather than pick up the cigerettes again I chosed the nico-gum and what a big mistake that was. The problem is you can get your dose of nicotine any time, anywhere which obviously leads to over use.

Yesterday, I chewed my last piece around 5:00 pm on the drive home from work. The thought of driving up to Walmart to get another box so that I could chew 'til my jaws hurt was so not appealing. So, foregoing the trip to Walmart I decided to just experience the withdrawals to see if they were managable. Last night around 11:30 pm I was seriously craving a piece -- I was rummaging throught the bottom of my purse hoping to find one beautiful piece of my sweet nico-gum. I was almost salivating at the thought of that first bite - lol. Unfortunately for me, I didn't find any gum and I already had my gown on so I just ate a bunch of my son's Halloween candy and toughed it out. FYI: I only had two intense cravings last night -- not too bad.

I am happy to say that this morning I am feeling really good -- no serious withdrawals symptoms yet -- just enjoying my morning coffee. I will keep you guys updated and wish you the best of luck in your attempts to bid farewall to your chewie little friends. P.S. Remember...the benefits to quitting are numerous -- fewer dental/jaw problems, lower blood pressure and more $$$ in your pocket.

Good luck!
Blank
Like all of you on here I have been stuck in the misery of 4mg nic gum addiction for about 5 years, with occasional smoking included, wow how bad can you get, it has cost me a fortune, definitely ruined my teeth, have tried to go cold turkey over the past week on two occasions, but both times ended up smoking and feeling really bad because although the gum is foul you don't take in all the tar, chemicals, etc.  Really need to break the cycle, on the two lots of 24 hours that I have done it hasn't actually been that bad, but I am suffering from FEAR and I really don't get it.  I have found all your posts extremely encouraging because I felt very alone in my addiction to gum as I don't know anyone else who is addicted.  My partner hates it so much that he won't come back to me until I give it up, think he is trying to force me to stop for my own good.

Will get there eventually, how could anyone choose gum over a person they love!!!!!!!!  Just shows how powerful the addiction is

God Bless
Blank
Have just read all these messages with astonishment - I thought I was the only person in the world addicted to the lozenges.  I go through all the same things as you all and would love to get off them as for the past year I've started having high blood pressure and it only just occurred to me that it may be the lozenges?  I gave up the cigs nearly 2 years ago.  I'm 59 (today actually!!) and four years ago I was struck down with pneumonia and my lungs never recovered.  I have emphysema and rarely leave the house due to the disability.  It's not a good life at all - I had to give up work and have to ask people for help all the time, only being able to bath/wash hair if my breathing is fairly easy, which isn't as often as I would like.  I can't drive any more as I get really bad anxiety now (which I never had before) which makes my breathing even worse.  The reason I am telling you all this is as a deterrent for those of you who may keep going back to the cigs.  I think the cost/side effects of gum/lozenges is far outweighed by the quality of life you retain by using them.  So, don't give up giving up!  Use any means possible to stay off those cigs.
Blank
Does anyone have a weight problem they can relate to a longtime habit with this gum?
Blank
2006170_tn?1327745841
I am so glad I read your post. I have been addicted to the gum for only 2 years now and I already have acid reflux disease, so it didn't take long to start having a build up of acid. I thought mabe I had broncitus or something untill I read your post. This will  help me to get off that stupid gum!
I just found out I have COPD and it dosn't help to have this acid problem with it.
Vickiep58
Blank
I also was addicted to Cope for 20 years. Picked it up in college - hanging out with bunch of skiers. I quit when pregnant with my tWo kids, but did not have the willpower to say no to friends who offered it later on.  when my darter found the copenhagen in my purse, I eventually quit and turned to the nicotine gum. - have been chewing it 12 years. I,ve made it a week without, but always go back to it - withdrawals and stress, I guess.
  Just wondering if you are still having success?  Keep at it....and I hope I can join you in the success soon. (-still crave that Copenhagen almost daily)
  Would love to hear how you are doing.   Thanks, and good luck!
Blank
Oh my goodness!  Me too! I started with the gum (for several years), and then I switched to the lozenges.  I've been using the lozenges for six or seven years at least.  Yes, it's better than smoking... but it is still a terrible habit.

I'm so glad I found you all.

Thank you to the person who suggested the Xylitol mints. I just ordered some online, and with all you people as inspiration, I am going to get off the lozenges when the mints get here. At least, I hope I succeed. It is awful that I can't seem to stop. I don't have any other bad habits... just nicotine addition.

I feel hopeful that I can quit after reading all your stories. I read all of them since 2006. I can see that I have so much company in my misery.  Thanks for posting your stories.
Blank
Yes!  I've been chewing the gum for 7 years and as of 6 years ago I started to progressively gain weight every year.  I'm a runner and very athletic, eat well and have always been very thin (not anymore).  My dr has run tests after tests trying to figure out what's wrong and all tests come back normal.  I happen to catch a glimpse of the possible side affects on the nicorette box and it said weight gain - so I just went on line to research it and OMG - I had no idea so many people were addicted to it like me!  I am Convinced that this is the problem to all my newly developed health issues.  Time will tell - I have to quit the gum!
Blank
one logical reason, untested of course - is that if one is essentially trying to quit "smoking", but FOR YEARS, that you might expect the effects of quitting, like wt gain.  But perhaps throughout.  Not sure if this has been studied.
Blank
Wow!  Like almost everyone else here I successfully transferred a long-standing smoking habit to an equally addicting nicotine gum habit.  My gum of choiceis Walmart generic brand, with the mint coating, 2 mg.  I've tried other gums - regular and nico - they all make me feel queasy, nauseous, or worse.
Ive been chewing the gum (this time - smoked, chewed, went back to smoking 2 or 3 times in the past), since 2005 or 2006.  Today is my quit day.  (long back story behind today being Q - day.  Too long to go into here).  I am heartened by the many stories here, and hopeful that I'll be back in 24, then 48, 72, (etc.,) hours, reporting only success!
Thanks again to all who've posted here.  Best wishes for all of us, in becoming nicotine free!
Blank
I'm back to this thread and back on the gum.  I am wondering if I will ever quit.  This gum has become my buddy for every imaginable situation:  morning coffee = gum need, computer research = gum need, driving anywhere, any emotional upset, reading, after meals, to further think a thought...the gum has been my partner so long.  I have had a few quits...some for a year+....  But I always pick it up.  It is so tidy and convenient an addiction.  I nibble on 2mg or 4mg (depending on where I am in the "cutting back" process and I am ALWAYS in the cutting back process....ughhhh!  No flavors for me, i like the plain.  I nibble tiny little bits ALL day long.  I find myself chewing by accident if the piece is too large.  My chin and jaw are sagging from being a chewer (I'm 48), so that's why I've adapted my sweet addiction  to these tint, tiny bits.  I even swallow these.  What is wrong with me??  I have so much anxiety that I don't sleep well and take various meds to sleep...knowing full well that the gum is a major culprit.  And I can't stop or stay stopped.  The very thought causes such a void I reach for a nibble!  I quit smoking almost 16 years ago.  I'm going to go find the mints from the previous posts, right after I pinch a little piece o gum to clench between my teeth.   Urggggg.
Blank
3135325_tn?1342664082
Hello All,

Today is my "Day 2" of being nicotine gum free.  I have been using Nicotine gum for approximately 3 years.  I quit smoking in 2009.  I've been a 4 mg chewer since I gave up the butts.  I started out on the Nicorette brand cinnamon flavor, and eventually got really sick of it.  Then I tried the fruit flavor, and that wasn't for me.  I hit "pay dirt" when I discovered the CVS Brand unflavored gum in 4 mg, which is my gum of choice.

I've tried quitting twice before, the first time was about a year into my gum- chewing abuse.  I went down to the 2mg gum.  I then found myself chewing 2 pieces of the 2 mg gum to give me the kick that the 4mg did... it just wasn't the same!!!  Well duh, its not meant to be enjoyable.  Anyway, I went back to the 4 mg and kept at it.

I'm having a difficult time.  So thankful for all of the above stories, as I can related to ALL of them.  I am that person who is always chewing away.  What's worse is that often times I'll get a headache or jaw pain which is definitely due to my chewing, and I will still chew.  

Right now I feel major sense of loss in my life, like "How the helk am I going to be able to deal with life without my gum??!?!"  My gum made everything better, it made me a happy person.

I tried to get off the gum again in March.  I know its not good for my health, and felt the heart palpitations, etc....I even read online that I could lose my hair.  That didn't stop me.  I kept saying "Oh it won't happen to me."  I also developed a rash, like poison ivy, on my arm that stayed with me for about a month.  I read online that gum can cause rashes.  I eventually got down to the desired "2 pieces a day", in which according to the insert in the box, I can now quit.  I looked forward to those 2 pieces of gum a day so much, I would literally count the hours till when I could have a piece.  Then I said screw this, and started chewing again.  I said "I don't want to be off the gum!!!"  It's not the worst thing in the world, I'm not a smoker, and I'm not a drunk, WTF! ...

I know I'm doing the best thing for my health, my teeth, my skin, etc. But all I feel is anger and depression.  Like I have just lost the best thing that ever happened to me.  Will this feeling ever go away?

Thanks to all who have shared, and good luck to all who are quitting!

Blank
3135325_tn?1342664082
Today is my Day 6 of being nic gum free.  I feel alot better than I did at Day 2.  Alot less depressed.  Still getting cravings, and I'm sure they will come for a while since I've been chewing for about 3 years, all day everyday... When the cravings come I just chew on a piece of trident.  I'm not going to lie, I do miss my little yellow friend that burns your throat as you chew.

It feels good to be relaxed.  I feel ALOT less stressed out as well:)

Not sure if anyone still reads this thread, but hope this helps someone in need.

Blank
why dont we all take the NRT companies to court, since they have given us an alternative addiction
Blank
why dont we all take the NRT companies to court, since they have given us an alternative addiction
Blank
Cold turkey.  It's the only way to quit NRT's.
Blank
Chewed this stuff on and off (mostly on) since 1996. I am now 45 and have had some odd health problems in the past year (heart irregularities and liver enzymes raised) that I think might both be down to too much of this stuff and for too long (always 2mg, but 20 pieces or more a day).

I also have done it in secret for most of the past 10 years.  This is an odd situation as then one can't appeal to family/friends for help when quitting (my other half would be furious).  

Anyway, stopped.  I had tapered off quite a bit - was on holiday and it was hard to get to a pharmacy to I was down to 3-5 pieces a day.  It was the pretty easy just to stop.  I kept finding rogue pieces over the next week that sort of staved off the worst without me buying another stupid box.  The last piece was now two weeks ago.   I'm proud of having stopped, but I've stopped for this length of time before and always go back after some bought of depression (usually 2-3 months after stopping).    I think this time it will work as I'm worried about the health stuff.  

I'm skeptical about some pages reporting no ill affects as people are reluctant to admit they are chewing for so long and almost no research has been done.  Use the gum, but obey the three month instructions and treat it as a POISON, which is, afterall, what nicotine is in the wild.
Blank
Good job on the quitting chew! I use nic gum now and am happy to do that as opposed to using Kodiak, like I don't search my mouth for oral cancer obsessively anymore. I've been clean now for 2 weeks and feel a lot healthier and am not afraid to go to the dentist now. Chew tobacco is nasty and I'm glad I quit for my health and my family.
Blank
Well I'm a Boston Marathoner (re qualified at Boston) who was addicted to  Nicorette-so many years I can't count-reading the stories above reminded me of all the things I did to get my fix....I ran my Boston and re-requalified while chewing nicorette-just sick....but I was fast and felt I was in control.  My blood pressure has spiked (200/95) over recent years and my doctor couldn't understand why....good weight, lots of exercise, no stress, loving marriage.....so I quit nicorette on Dec. 20th, 2012.  For the first while I tried to sleep as much as possible ...so not to think about the nicorettes.  Now almost 4 months later I still crave nicorettes (not like first few weeks but sti
ll wish I could chew one)....My blood pressure was monitored over 24 hours and results showed 133/78 but I've gained 10 pounds (even with 6 day per week work outs-run approx. 50 km and two weight lifting workouts)....but I', not going to give up....I'm drinking a little more red wine but have my diet very restricted-not hungry but no sweet treats-that I used to be able to have.....please don't give up on your will power....I'm not going to....it must get easier sometime...so here's to sometime soon
Cathy
Blank
5486661_tn?1368679695
I've been chewing 20 pieces of this gum daily for 29 years and, other than the cost, have had absolutely no ill effects.  I have the healthiest teeth and gums of anyone I know, too.  I get it half priced from a pharmacy in New Zealand.
Blank
5486661_tn?1368679695
I've been chewing 20 pieces of this gum daily for 29 years and, other than the cost, have had absolutely no ill effects.  I have the healthiest teeth and gums of anyone I know, too.  I get it half priced from a pharmacy in New Zealand.
Blank
where exactly do you buy them?
Blank
im interested if its that good
Blank
Hi,
I imagine that it is years since you stopped Nicorette. I hope that
you are still not chewing.
Please tell me if you think that Nicorette causes hair loss.
You did mention hair loss .
I have had very serious hair loss, and I Have started linking it to
the moment I started Nicorette.
I am now in my second day without Nicorette. Am optimistic.
Thank you for letting me know about what you know about hair loss
Blank
Weight gain.  Ok....so I have chewed nicotine gum for about 15 years...on and off...sometimes gave it up for the patch..three of those 15 I was not chewing ( gave it up while pregnant and quit for one year because I was disgusted with myself).  Guess why I went back????  Nicotine is the greatest weight loss tool around...it kills your appetite.  I gained around 25 lbs in the year without nicotine and was more disgusted with myself than with chewing the gum.  Nicotine gum addiction ***** and the weight gained from the appetite increase also *****.  It is a horrible situation....I just want to go back to normal now!!!!!!  So very unhappy.   I also think nicotine ingestion messes with blood sugar and metabolism.  Should never have gone back....chewing feels so very unhealthy.
Blank
5954012_tn?1377293069
I cannot believe that I just across your post.
I've been off nicorette for 3 months yesterday.
I have gained 15 lbs - because I'm shoving everything down my gullet.
I'm a vain gal and at my wits end.

I'd love to stay in touch.

Jacqui
Blank
Thanks so much for your story - it helped me & nicotine part company.

Sure I'm only 4 days nicotine free so far, but I'm coping well - and never managed even one day before.

My story

I smoked 25 cigarettes a day since I was 17.  I tried patches in 1998 but always found myself smoking as well, so discontinued.  I might have tried
quitting with Nicorette gum or maybe I just used it on long airflights.

After 30 years of smoking, in 2007 I started coughing up blood, which turned out to be just pneumonia (Klebsiella - currant jelly sputum) and that was the motivation to switch to the gum, and I succeeded.

Only now I've had a 20 piece of 2mg gum habit for the last 6 years and want to quit because I have high blood pressure and receding gums.  One comment is that as a gum chewer, I had a strong brand and flavor preference.

My doctor prescribed a Champix starter pack which I started a little over 2 weeks ago.  I had some nauseu when the dose increased to 1mg in the morning as I am used to skipping breakfast - taking it on a bowl of muesli fixed that.

I had Day 10 planned as my quit date and when it finally came around to stop chewing but there was no way I could resist the urge to chew.  I got the idea that maybe it would be easier from patches, so I bought some step 2 24 hour patches and tried them for a couple of days.

I still had this crazy urge to chew, so I went and bought some Step 1 24-hour patches and tried those for a couple of days, but still chewed as much nicotine gum than ever, despite my body being fully dosed with nicotine.

That's when my searching lead to your post - thank goodness.  I went and bought a bunch of different flavors of regular sugar-free chewing gum.  I was still chewing this like crazy with the patches, but at least I was not over dosing on nicotine any more and I realized that ordinary gum would satisfy my urge.

So the next order of business was to set another quit date and may start tapering the patches down.

As I researched this I came across a British Medical Journal article that debunked quit dates based on a UK study and another abstract of an article on a USA study that duplicated the UK result.  Though debated, those studies conclude that stopping immediately is about twice as effective as planning to stop at some future date. (Sure, maybe this makes sense for Champix, while serum levels build, but my serum Champix level should be stable after 2 weeks of the starter pack.)

I realized chewing regular gum was satisfying my urge, so I decided to cease the patches immediately and rely on Champix plus regular gum.

And it's been working well for 4 days.

I used 2 step 2 patches, then 5 step 1 patches in my switch to become nicotine free.

Some folks say Champix makes them sleep poorly, but I already have that issue (could be the nicotine).  Anyhow the short term fix for that is 3 x 10mg Temazepam 30 minutes before bedtime.  I don't get a great night's sleep but it's good enough.  Temazepam is good for initiating sleep but not that good for staying asleep.  I used to find taking 15 or 30 mg of Mirtazapine with it helped with staying asleep, but it worked too well, so I stopped it (e.g sleeping 10-11 hours, hard to rouse)

Last night I ran out of Temazepam and only had 2 x 10mg tablets left, so I took 3mg of melatonin an hour before bed time and my sleep was just as good - perhaps slightly drowsier on waking.

I plan to use the full 12 week course of Champix and hope to find an alternative to Temazepam.  Maybe some exercise, to work off all those calories in the sugar free gum.  Sorbitol may not rot your teeth, bit it has calories.
Blank
Nicorette gum contains nicotin a type of medicine. Not so worried to have it but if you really want to leave just try to drink a glass of water.I am sure it will work.
Blank
I came here looking for help.  The Nicorette addiction is terrible!  And I have money problems now.  I have now been chewing it for nearly five years,since stopping smoking.  Every time I have tried to stop it, I get such bad withdrawal symptoms that I am unsafe to myself and society.  The worst is dizziness and drowsiness (to the point I am not safe to cross the road).  I also get a foul temper and am unbearable to be around, and it nearly caused my partner to walk out on me I was so awful - it was like going mad!  And anxiety attacks, shakes - you name it.  Even mental confusion and weirdness.  My teeth have gone yellow, and evening whitening toothpaste won't whiten them up.  Now this is such an irony - when I smoked I always managed to keep my teeth white - now and then using smoker's toothpaste or a whitening toothpaste.  But with this gum - they have just gone yellow and nothing changes it - because it isn't an external coating - it seems to have just changed the colour of them somehow.  And yes I get a lot of gum abscesses and infections.

So I have tried quitting the gum numerous times.  Cutting down, with a religious timetable in my diary as to when to have a piece, reducing it each day.  But I don't get past 2 or 3 days because life is busy, and I need to get things done, and then I lose focus and lose track of how many pieces I've had.

I think cold turkey is the only option, but I reckon you need support with this - I say to my family - yes I want to stop buying and chewing this stuff, but I would need to go to bed for a week and be left alone completely.  That's pretty drastic.  Surely there must be some kind of medication that will help you with the withdrawal symptoms for the first few days.

The other thing is wanting to stuff my face with food constantly and then feeling ill.
Blank
My dear Fellow Nico Gummers

I was "turned on" to Nicotine gum by my landlord who hated me smoking in his house. He brought me a pack of Nicorette back from Sweden in 1985 and a long love affair with the gum begun soon afterward. I've tried patches, lozenges, etc and once or twice went back to smoking for short periods but they've never really hit the spot in the way that gum does. Over the years I've tried most of the NRPs available in Europe (I live in the UK but spend a lot of time in France).  I've settled on Nicotinell mint flavour 2mg chewing gum. Depending on how busy I am or my level of fatigue consumption is around 12 bits per day.

There is no doubt that - healthwise - gum is far, far better than smoking or chewing tobacco. The carcigens and carbon monoxide in tobacco smoke are the cause of heart problems and cancer. Nicotine in the quantity existing in NRP or tobacco smoke for that matter is relatively harmless.  There seem to be some issues around the mode of ingestion (eg. can excessive chewing cause jaw problems? or even Tinitus). Personally I worry about excessive saliva production and the impact that may have on digestion, tooth enamel and  the urological system. But these anxieties may be unfounded - after all, we Nicogummers are no strangers to irrational anxieties caused by being over-hyped on Nicotine.

By using Nicotine gum (or patches, lozenges, inhalers) you are not "creating" a new addiction - you're already addicted to Nicotine - but finding a way of satisfying your addiction that does no significant damage to your health. Many forum contributors although expressing some reservations have noted the pleasurable, satisfying aspects of gum chewing.

I am not ashamed to say that I love Nicotine gum but for financial and some other reasons I feel it is time to give it up. My method is somewhat unorthodox but seems to be working. When the first craving of the day arrives I chew on an "exhausted" piece of gum whilst going about my business. I then go for a one hour walk removing the "dummy" gum from my mouth as I leave home. For the next chewless hour I walk at a fast pace feeling increasingly spaced-out but not unpleasantly so. In fact, it's actually quite pleasant. On returning home I wait as long as I can before submitting to the cravings and chewing on the "exhausted" piece of gum. So far so good. If the cravings get really bad I promise myself a piece of gum at 10pm that night. I have kept back three pieces of gum for that purpose (I'm assuming that after 3 days I shall have broken the back of the addiction and can then progress to 100% Cold Turkey).

Judging from other comments here and from previous experience the problem will then be giving up chewing gum. A few years ago I tried the mix and match approach (sorbital chewing gum slowly replacing Nico but this didn't really work - amongst other things the Sorbital acted as a laxative and I just spent a lot of money on chewing gum and a lot of time on the toilet anxious that I'd contracted some version of food poisoning or worse).

Once I've broken the worst of the Nicotine addiction then I shall probably get hypnosis to help with the chewing problem if I can't deal with it in a more conventional way. Perhaps it will be esier than I expect it to be.

I'm 48 hours in and feeling good. Will keep you posted.

Blank
Day 4 . Cravings are becoming less frequent and weaker. Bad news is that I've injured my foot and therefore can't take my daily walk which definately helped to cool things out. Also, I'm eating way too much chocolate and other  'treats' as a 'reward' for sticking to my plan for a nicotineless future. My appetite definately seems to have increased and without remedial action I shall be piling on the pounds. I've decided to ignore this issue until I'm a week into the Plan. My reasoning being that the Plan will not work unless I subordinate everything else until I feel the worst of the addiction is well and truly over. Anyway, overall I'm pleasantly surprised - I expected it to be much more difficult than this. It's easier than stopping smoking that's for sure.
Blank
Day 8. Only very mild, short-lived and occasional cravings trouble me now. I can't believe it was this easy. Health-wise the only difference I notice is that I'm falling to sleep easier at night (often in front of the TV) and waking a little earlier. BUT I'm left with the problem that several other people mentioned: I need to chew and if I don't chew I get chew cravings. I've become a chew-a-holic. So I'm addicted to the Nicotine delivery system without the Nicotine. So I guess the next step is to spend some time going chewing gum cold turkey. I wonder how long that takes. Would hypnosis help? This has become more complex than I expected. And, of course, there is the eating / hunger issue which I shall not go into now.
Blank
I know your comment was from several years ago but I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed it.  I'm reading through this long thread of suffering (I've not smoked in 3 days now and am using Nicorette) and it's almost like reading a Stephen King novel.  So much suffering and crazy - Damn nicotine!
Blank
Day 14 for me today.  Can't begin to tell you all the problems I had over the past year while hooked on this nicotine gum:  joint pains, developed an elbow bone spur requiring surgery to remove, stretched knee ligaments in hiking accident which took 2X time to heal as what doctor said it should, tongue sores, gum recession, mouth had frequent taste of metal, seeing my hair on shower walls after shower, had to increase blood pressure medicine by 2X dosage.  On & on & on.  

And little things, like:  a "tweak" in either knee joint--like I twisted something while taking a step, a jammed finger from high school basketball over 35 years ago which began to ache, "dead" spots in toes & bottom of feet, etc.

Hey--you're on this blog.  Any of these sound familiar to you?  You know they do.  And, if you're like me, you try to ignore them...you know in the back of your mind that it's the nicotine gum...and you know there's something seriously wrong with this product, but that there've been no substantial tests to educate the public about it.

Once that trigger clicks in your brain, you can stop this crap cold turkey.  But understand there will be some actual physical problems (not all are dopamine craving related).  It will be hard to sleep--I had trouble for the past 2 weeks, but slept well last night.  The metallic taste in your mouth might actually increase for the first week.  If like me, you may be anxious & not as productive, as your body adjusts to the new (old) normal.  (I am having trouble getting all my work accomplished.)  

From what I've read, it can take nicotine up to 3 weeks to work out of your system.  As I said, I'm at week #2 today.  But I will not give up!!!!  I would like to keep my teeth!
Blank
Wow, amazing how many people are hooked on nicorettes. Especially us girls!

I've given in to nicorettes. They didn't stop from smoking a sneaky menthol and now ten years later, I still combine smoking and nicorettes. But slowly I use more over the years.  I've come to like the taste of a 4mg ice mint gum or lozenge (which I use moreso now) and a menthol cigarette.

And I'm so addicted now I can't stop. Lol, confessions of an addict.
Blank
Hi alyc

I know how you feel. I started on the gum (4mg) and used it flirtingly at first. But when out with friends, or with someone who smoked, I kept smoking too. They helped me cut back, but I never kicked the ciggies.

I smoke menthol cigarettes and then discovered ice mint gum. My yummy gum I called it... I was chewing a piece and decided to light a cigarette, I discovered the menthol cig ice mint gum tasted sooooo nice together...

It was like an instant nico-heroin hit. Like you, I told myself I didn't want give up my gum. I didn't want stop smoking my menthols.

I was out one night and ran out of gum. OMG, I freaked and when the cigarette I just smoked didn't work, I lit another, that didn't work, I lit another, and another and another. My BFF quipped, why are you smoking so much... I told her I needed some Nicorette gum, I started crying as I chain smoked my menthol cigarettes.

I haven't been without nicorettes since that night, ten years ago,,, I gave in to the addiction. I switched to ice mint lozenges and I smoke up to 30 cigarettes a day and use up to 10 (4mg) lozenges, sometimes 15 or more on weekends.

I admit that I have come to like my addiction after al this time. I reckon girls get hooked easier, lol.

I hope u do better than me.

Blank
Hi Yvonne,

Did you manage to quit?

I can't stop using Nicorette lozenges and I smoke menthol cigarettes when I put one or two 4mg lozenge in my mouth.

I've become addicted to chain smoking i discovered when I ran out one day. I was with my BFF crying as I lit up cigarette after cigarette uncontrollably and craving like mad for a Nicorette. That was seven hears ago. The Nicorettes help me not chain smoke. But here I am hooked and slowly getting worse every year.

It's now ten years since I started.

I use 10-15 4mg lozenges a day and smoke up to 30 menthols a day, or more on weekends, I don't want to stop and I like smoking and using  nicorettes because I am so addicted now.... I don't think I will ever stop.
Blank
Hi serendipity,

Hope ur r well. Ur right, it's a case of give up or give in... I gave in, the only medication found that fixed my Nicorette cravings was to smoke cigarettes. I now smoke and still use nicorettes. Funny thing is, I've come to like it... Can't believe so many others are hooked too, but not too many seem to smoke as well... I give in. Lol. Xxx
Blank
I'm so glad I found this community! I haven't smoked for the past nine years, but absolutely can't quit my nicotine habit, something I've had since I was 13 years old. It's like it's hard-wired in my brain.

I've tried everything.

The gum satisfied the hand-mouth thing. I'd chew around 25 4mg pieces a day, sometimes more. Anytime I wasn't eating I was chewing. This habit cost me maybe $5000 a year but much more in dental bills. Has anyone else had the abject experience of losing a filling or even having a tooth crumble away because of the adhesiveness of this gum? God, it's disgusting. After four implants and 11 crowns, I decided to try hypnotherapy. Maybe the guy wasn't any good. It only lasted two days.

I've been on 4mg lozenges for the past 5 years or so. Last year, Glaxo took $4358 out of my pocket that I could really have spent on something else. Our addictions are VERY profitable for big pharma and this is really starting to bother me. I think this profitability is the reason why there have been no longitudinal studies about the health effects of long term NRT addiction. None.

The thing is, so far I've had no adverse health impacts from lozenge use (36 x 4mg a day). In 2010, I lost 28kg or around 60 pounds and I've kept this off with the help of nicotine lozenges and walking an hour a day (nicotine's an appetite suppressant as well as a stimulant). Exhaustive blood tests I do once a year show me that everything is within normal range. My blood pressure is the low end of that range, but I've been told that this is because I'm fit. People have also said that I look about 15 years younger than my 50 years as well.

So I'm not sure if I want to risk getting fat again and I rationalise to myself that lozenges are my only addiction and it could be worse etc. But I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars over the years on this habit and I hate being an addict.

I travel a lot and always take a bulk supply with me. Sometimes, however, I've run out. fwiw, none of the Scandinavian countries stock the larger lozenge. I know this because I spent a good part of my holiday in Sweden, Norway and Denmark visiting chemists. In Egypt, Jordan and Dubai, they don't have any NRT products at all. It was amazing how easy it was to do without NRT when none was available. After a week in Dubai without any NRT or ill effects, I think that cold turkey in this sort of situation is the only way to get off these things.

Unfortunately, in Australia, Britain and the US where I spend most of my time, we have ready access to lozenges if our bank balances can afford it. I've developed a taste for the cherry flavoured lozenges you can only get in the US.

Yes, of course I'm glad I don't smoke any more, but big pharma is totally EVIL! I just don't have the willpower to do without nicotine. Help!!!
Blank
Gawd! 36 pieces a day.i use 10-15 but I still smoke. Idiot, I know.  I hope u win your battle. I think I can beat it, but then the next craving hits and i pop a 4mg lozenge in my mouth, and light a cigarette. I have an addictive personality and a more love, little hate relationship with Nicorette and cigarettes. I cant quit, im scared of the cravings, of losing my best friend. Good luck on your journey.
Blank
Update from my June 26 post above (from Nicofree).

I have now gone 4 1/2 weeks without this crap.  There is only 1 way to quit, and that is cold turkey.  No "weaning off it", no "planning of a quit date", no "quitting when my current supply runs out".  That switch in your brain has to click...it's the same one that clicks to start exercising or to start eating right.  You have to make it click...it will not magically click all by itself.  Just tell youself, "I am in control!  I am strong!  I can do ANYTHING!"

First 2 weeks, I chewed about 500 pieces of sugar-free gum.  Then the sorbitol in that started messing up my stomach.  So, then I switched to Xylitol gum (supposed to be good for your teeth).  Had to order that on the internet, as I couldn't find it in any store.    It tastes ok, but not really fantastic.  So, I don't chew nearly as much of it...but, it's here if I need it.  

I had nicotine gum stashed everywhere.  Still coming across it in desk drawers, pants pockets, briefcase.  Every time I find a piece, I immediately go flush it down the toilet.  

I'm proud of my 4 1/2 weeks.  Cravings are gone & have been gone since the 2nd week.  I refuse to put another piece of this BS into my mouth ever again.  One day, this will be linked to cancer & other diseases.  You know it will.  Don't be ignorant...just because there are no studies on it or your doctor says it ok--these mean NOTHING.  Use you common sense.  This stuff is bad for you, and you know it as well as I do.  Quit today--right now!  Flush your whole supply down the drain & don't buy anymore.  Then post on here that you did this, and let's try to make it to tomorrow.  Then, tomorrow this same time, come back & tell us you've got 24 hours under your belt.  You can do it.  Just DO it!
Blank
Hi...I bought the Walgreens brand 2mg Cinnamon last Saturday and chewed a few pieces that day and Sunday. On Sunday night I felt weird and I noticed a throbbing in my wrists especially my left. I know this crap gum is bad and I have been chewing it since June 1013 when I quit smoking after 30 years. The gum was amazing as far as helping me to quit smoking but the gum is just as bad an addiction as regular smoking. Well its been a week now and I still feel agitated and very nervous and anxiety. Since being off the gum I have been craving cigarettes more than when I was on the gum. I chew Trident and Dentyne variety but its been bothering my teeth with all the chewing. Nicotine gum is garbage and ruins your teeth, makes your hair fall out and is not good for the body. Its a poison and you can taste it going down your throat which is why a lot of folks complain of having stomach issues. I miss the buzz you get from the gum and my main concern is weight gain from being Nicotine free. Thank You.
Blank
11554901_tn?1419296835
I chewed 13-15 Half pieces of 4mg for 20 years. I would buy the 4mg and cut or bite them in two.
I never had any side effects other then feeling like i had a monkey on my back. My Dr. suggested I quit so I did (even thought she admitted there was no medical reason that she knew of). So it's been 5 months and I still have a lot of frustration. My life just seems less satisfying. I've gained a few pounds and drink more wine. Wondering if i will every feel that spark and excitement for life again. I'm not depressed but just miss my nicorette days.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Smoking Addiction Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank