Smoking Addiction Community
Nicotine withdrawal symptoms with acid reflux problem

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Hey friends,

i am passing through pretty bad stage of my life. I was a heavy smoker. Couple of weeks back i started having sever acid reflux problem. I could not sleep and started having bad burning sensation in my stomach and chest along with throat and ear pain problem. Every morning i wake up with red color phlegm in my mouth. So i decided to quit smoking 2 weeks back and changed my diet. few days back again i had bad acid reflux in night. So next morning i went to the doctor. she prescribed me PPI. I feel ok now. very little burning sensation in my stomach or chest but i started having body aches specially on my back and neck. I also started having itching all over my body. In addition sometimes i feel cold sensation in my stomach and chest near solar plexus. which goes away by itself. Now I wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep in night.
I am bit worried now. Don't know if body aches, itching and cold sensation in stomach are nicotine withdrawal symptoms or my acid reflux is going bad. I am thinking about endoscopy test. God help me!!
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  Yes, some of the symptoms can be due to nicotine withdrawal. Also, acid reflux is aggravated once you stop smoking and it takes a few days for healing to start. Your symptoms can also be due to H pylori infection of the stomach which can be diagnosed through carbon urea breath test and blood tests. This would need treatment with antibiotics. You also need more rigorous medical management of acid reflux with a proton pump inhibitor along with ranitidine and antacid gel for acid control.
Other than this, please eat light meals which are not oily or spicy. Avoid fuzzy drinks and alcohol. Eat something every 3-4 hours. Please try and re-consult
your doctor regarding this. Yes, you may need an endoscopy. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!