Smoking Addiction Community
Quitting smoking tip... Caffeine and nicotine.

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Hello, I just wanted to give everyone a very valuable tip for quitting smoking... and this is from my own personal experience.

That is avoid caffeine while you are quitting smoking!  

I find that the random cravings go away after 3 days...  BUT if you have coffee... 4, 5, 6 days after, or even 2 weeks after... you will get an intense continuous heavy craving!  I think if people are quitting smoking, they should be advised to avoid caffeine while they are quitting, for about a month!  Otherwise, you will get a craving which will be as intense as the amount of caffeine ingested.

I had 3 cups of coffee.... and i layed there in bed with a craving so intense, it lasted about 3 hours STRAIGHT!  Even water wasn't helping.  

Just a tip for people trying to quit.  Alcohol also makes you crave, so avoid that too while quitting.
I remember those early days and how I couldn't partake in one of my favorite beverages (coffee).
I don't know if there is an actual ingredient(s) in coffee or alcohol that increase the craving, but it's probably more a behavioral thing.
Thanks for reminding us though and good luck : )
I did Ok with the coffee. It was a bit hard the first cup but after that I was OK. I gave up cigs wasn't going to give up my 1 cup of coffee as well.
Everybody is different. Just be aware that in some it is a trigger.

Terry
It can be true that it's harder to maintain quitting early while drinking coffee. I only didn't drink coffee for a few days but now drink it regulary. Acually, I think coffee helps for me to continue nicotine abstinace because it's the only vice I still can have.
Oh yes, you can still drink coffee later on after you quit... but i'm just saying if it's just a few days to a few weeks, it's best to refrain from coffee as it can induce a very strong craving.