Smoking Addiction Community
Smokeless tobacco and NRT

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Smokeless tobacco and NRT

I want to quit chewing tobacco and want to use the gum or lozenges or patch to help me. But I don't know how much to take or if these methods are safe/effective. Anyone know? All of the instructions refer to cigarette smokers, not chewers like me.
You need to ask a physician about that, but if you want my opinion, stay clear of the lozenges and gum. I know people who are still chewing after years! They can't get themselves off of it so just giving you a heads up. As for the lozenges, well I used them for a short period of time and really did a lot of damage to the roof of my mouth and my tongue. It was only a few days and luckily my dentist told me what damage wa already doen and that I should stop immediately. I'm not the only person to complain either. Just google "commit lozenges" and you will see what I mean.
That leaves the patch and it's the oldest and most trusted way.
You might want to visit http://www.killthecan.org

Give us an update and good luck!
I tell ya what! I have quit and failed so many times it just aint pretty! One time the patches were a godsend, but I eventually went back to smoking.  I dont care for the gum, but you might since you let it hang out in your mouth just like you do the tobacco. Personally, I think the only way that really works is to just do it and get it done with. Nicotine is out of the system in 72 hrs and leaves the habit thing with the hands to deal with.  Why string it out!  I dont have the will power to do it if it is dragged out over time. I quit cold turkey last evening and this evening it will be 24 hrs without nicotine. 48 more to go till clean!