Smoking Addiction Community
Smoking and Anxiety.

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Smoking and Anxiety.

Well as you may know I have severe anxiety and I'm bipolar. I've been having a very hard time since April, I was doing wonderful up until last wednesday. I've been waking up so sad and angry, I have no motivation whatsoever. Lately I've been in physical pain for no apparent reason. I feel like nothing. I feel like a huge walking bruise.

Well today I forced myself to get ready and get in the car and I got to school around 2 like I'm supposed to. I didn't go in though, I waited outside in the car with my grandma. About 20 minutes later my ex walks out and looks right at me and we were both looking at each other and I just fell apart. I just crumbled to pieces and started crying and screaming. I have no clue why, I absolutely hate him. I don't even remember what i was thinking after I saw him. I don't remember anything until I went upstairs and grabbed my secret pack of cigarettes and started smoking. I hadn't opened it until today but still, I shouldn't have had it in my room. I shouldn't have given myself the opportunity to smoke.

How can I get over all of this? Why am i falling backwards? Someone please help.
Hi!
Since you suffer from anxiety and probably some depression, counseling will help you get back on the road of quitting smoking. Please consult a psychiatrist or a family doctor and get a complete evaluation. Thereafter once your anxiety is under control you can follow the following steps:
• The first step is to decide and stick to your decision.  
• Set and date and throw away all cigarettes.
• Inform your physician about your decision and seek help in terms of medications, alternatives to smoking etc.
• Join a group to stay motivated.
• Consult a therapist as counseling will help divert your attention from cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
• Ask your doctor/therapist regarding 24 X 7 telephone support services that help keep you motivated in the effort. Enroll in this service.
• At all stages when you have cravings and withdrawal symptoms, remember they are temporary and will pass away even if you do not smoke.
• Tell your friends about your decision and seek their help and support.
• Take up exercise: walking, jogging, swimming etc to keep fit.
• Eat healthy.
• Be strong.

Hope these steps help you quit smoking once for all! Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

i am surely agree with you .it helps the person to remove anxiety from her life.
i have nothing to say . its 100% ok .

thank you
Dr. Kokil Mathur