Smoking Addiction Community
Throat issues, raspy voice

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Throat issues, raspy voice

I don't want to get paranoid but I've been getting more and more concerned about what's going on with my throat. I am an ex-smoker. I smoked for about 10 years or so and quit 15 years ago. A few years ago I began to have digestive issues and the Acid Reflux has gotten worse this last year. I'm scheduled to see the gastro doc in a couple of weeks and I want to ask for an endoscopy.
My concern is, are my symptoms only related to the GERD (Acid Reflux) or could this be something more, like from all the years of smoking?
My symptoms have been a feeling of almost a lump in my throat and an achiness at the bottom of my throat. I've been noticing a raspiness to my voice more and more, usually worse in the morning but like today I noticed I still have it and it's afternoon. I'm already taking Nexium and getting food allergy tested. I'm not sure what else I should do. Would the endoscopy show anything, do you think? Are there any other tests I should ask for? I already had an upper GI with lower bowel follow through and that came back ok.

I'm starting to wonder if this is all from the GERD or if it's from all the years of smoking? What do you all think? Should I be concerned? Could this be smoking related?
Hmm...very hard to say What's going on.   I kind of doubt it's smoking related...probably more due to the GERD.  All that acid rising up like you've been describing lately can make your esophagus raw which may make your throat raspy.  The acid causes erosion of the lining.  Have you stopped drinking ALL coffee? :)  

I am thinking though, that the endoscopy you're scheduled for is going to give you all your answers.  Try not to let your mind run wild too much with this until you have your tests because honey, you're just scaring yourself trying to GUESS what this is.  

You may want to up your Nexium to twice a day.  When I was dx'd with the ulcers, I was taking Prilosec am And pm.
It's already been upped to twice a day. Thanks Jade. I do think it's more due to the GERD but just was trying to think what else it could be and what I should discuss with the doctor. I'm trying not to think about it too much but it's hard not too when I notice the difference in my voice, you know?
I do know :(  

I suppose I worry about people telling you it could something really serious when it's not, which will in turn, upset you, and when you get upset that's when the acid starts churning up.  You need to stay as calm as possible until you see the doc.

Sorry to see you ARE on Nexuium 2xday and it's not helping :(
It's ok, Jade. I'm stronger than you think. :) Nobody's going to scare me off.
Have you thyroid bloods done..i had a feeling like that with my throat and had a goiter, hashimoto and hypothyroidism..Dawn