Smoking Addiction Community
Where to Begin to Quit.

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Where to Begin to Quit.

OK , so I smoke 2 1/2 packs a day. And I have asthma, so as you can imagine, I have asthma attacks all the time. I want to quit But I don't know where to begin. Any Idea's?
I decided to quit by cutting back for as long a period as it took. The first thing I did was to take the cigarettes out of my sight. I put them in a draw in the next room, along with my lighter and ashtray.

Every time I wanted a cigarette I got up, took everything out of the draw and had my smoke. Then replaced it all. In this manner I only smoked when I really wanted to, and not just "automatically." Without any anxiety I reduced my smoking by a third in very short order. After that progress was slower, but I never reversed the trend. this, I believe, had to do with the inconvenience of having to stop what I was doing in order to get a smoke. I am now a nonsmoker. I experienced no anxiety in cutting back slowly.

Stopping cold turnkey if you are smoking 2 1/2 pack is extremely difficult and probably unsuccessful. By the way, my technique worked, at least for me.