Smoking Addiction Community
You Have One Week to Prepare for a Kranky Krazy Purr Kitty lol

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

I'm sure you are asking why?  Well, let me explain what my main addiction is and has been for years --- smoking!!!  Now don't yell at me guys.  Because of Joe's health I do not smoke in the house, car or around him.  In fact I don't even use my vapor nicotine thing around him.  I'm down to between 5 and 10 cigs a day (used to be a 2 pack a day habit -- a year ago).

I wanted to quit back then but the doctor felt I was under so much stress that it wasn't a great idea yet.  Then we mutually decided it was more important to get off the opiates first.  Well, now I'm ready to ditch the cigs.  I can't use any of the nicotine patches, gum etc.  However, the doctor says that Clonidine can also help with nicotine withdrawal...just have to take a different dosage 3 times daily.

When the doc gets back next week he's going to stock me up with the Clonidine, I'm gonna destroy any cigs that might be left and I will be done!!!!  Why bring that up here...well this is a substance I'm abusing and I may come holler for support if I start feeling weak at some point.  With any luck the Clonidine will do the job and I won't have to do that.

If I seem cranky or out of sorts please PM me and let me know.  I know the last time I tried I was definitely cranky.  I don't want to be that way or take out my crankiness on anyone here...so just PM me and tell me to knock it off and remind me of my motto  Positive attracts positive, negative attracts negative!!!

Thanks MH family...you are all so wonderful and I love you all!!!
Hugz
I will tell you what I was told, when I chose to try quit tobacco shortly after opiate detox, " We have to choose our battles wisely." I support any choice people make to be better, but I think it is important to get solid ground for each step. Be careful taking on something new, unless you feel truly grounded in your aftercare and have developed enough coping skills. Tobacco is the only drug more addictive than opiates, most don't even like it the first time they use it. It is an anomaly of drugs, people keep using it until they do like it. Scientist find tobacco bizzaar in the world of drug use.

I decided to focus on opiate recovery in the end, which made me feel like a failure. I'm not being negative, just telling you what I was told and how tobacco detox triggered me intensely. I went against the advice of people here and else where and paid the price. So, make sure you, "choose your battles wisely." Keep us posted on this, as I know you will.
Great advice!  The doctor and I discussed this too.  IF for some reason the clonidine doesn't do what it is supposed to do then I will hold off on quitting for a couple more months.  I don't need the additional stress right now and Dr. was adamant about that....don't do it if the clonidine doesn't work.  Today I've only had 1 cig.  With luck I can get down to 2 or 3 a day anyway...I'm so close to that now :-)

Thanks!
Hi  well I went to the vapor pipes it has got to be better for me then smoking a pack of black n milds  I use the vapor pipe almost all the time  but I still like a good cigar at the end of my work shift the main thing about quitting is you just got to be ready then you will quit I have stopped for many years  but my live to smoke never went away  you know you can get just about any nicateen level if you ask then they got 2/4/12 16 or 24  you just drop down to the next level and so on so it can help you stop smoking keep posting for support this is hard but my doctor said after 90 days your lungs start coming back but he also told me that it immediately helps the heart you have a 50 % less chance of a heartache ...Gnarly...........