Smoking Addiction Community
first day on chantix

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

first day on chantix

hey all, this is my first day on chantix and I have very high hopes that this is gonna help me quit.
any and all feedback, info, and suggestions are welcome.  :)
thx deb
Tags: Smoking
  • Chantix Success! (17 replies):
    My husband and I both smokers of 20 years have had FANTA...[more]
  • any ideas (12 replies):
    hi i quit smokin after nearly 20 years with a few false ...[more]
  • Chantix (15 replies):
    I just started taking Chantix yesterday. I have heard lo...[more]
  • chantix (20 replies):
    I started on Chantix today...I only smoke about a half a...[more]
  • what is chantix (1 replies):
    hi sorry to be ignorant but what is chantix? i live in n...[more]
It has helped me quit for the fisrt time in almost 40 years. It took almost 2 weeks of taking it before I lost the urge. Now I get cravings but I'm able to deal with them. all the best
That is good to hear and congratulations!!  I need all the encouraging words I can get.  Have heard nothing but positive things about chantix. Did you continue to smoke the same during those first two weeks or did you cut back some??  
deb
No I cut back gradually to almost nothing. I wasn't going to stop until I really felt like smoking less. Most people stop after the 1rst week of chantix but it wasn't enough for me, it took 2 weeks or more. all the best
did you have any side effects?  i've had a headache all day.......ugh
hey girlie,
good for you !!!!!! I CT it . hubby however has not quit yet .I so want him to try that so let me know how it works for ya . I would let it get in your system a bit before ya start cutting back.
Avis
Thanks for the support gf.  I've tried c/t so many times, I can't count em.  All I can say is your one "tough cookie" and you have all my admiration and respect.  I will keep ya updated on it.  My Dr. and the pharmicist both had nothing but good things to say about it.  It does make me nauseated in the mornings when I take it but it doesn't last long.  
Thanks for the support,
deb
deb, anytime girlie I know you can do it :)
Avis
I don't have much in the way of side effects maybe a slight headache at times and maybe some gas and constipation. How are you doing?
Today has been just fine,  I do notice a little nausea in the mornings after taking the pill but it doesn't last long.  Yesterday I had a terrible headache and I don't normally get bad headaches, so was wondering if it was from the chantix.  Anyways, I don't notice craving as much as I did before the pill, but seems I still pick em up and smoke out of habit.  Everyone keeps saying don't worry bout that cause you will get to where you don't really even want one.....we'll see.
How are you doin?  How long have you been  on the chantix? Hope ya have a great weekend.
take care,
deb
I am on day 13 today smoke free thanks to Chantix.  I stopped a 35yr smoking habit and am no longer taking the Chantix.  Once it gets in your system you can begin to cut back without w/d's.  I think I cut back by 50% without even thinking about it as I was "forgetting" to smoke and Chantix made cigarettes taste like dirt.

I recommend breaking some of the habitual times that you smoke which helped me a lot.  After dinner eat a mint instead of smoking then smoke later.  Also I took mine only before bed as the nausea was a killer.  Maybe you might try this if the headaches continue.

Good luck and take care.
I take chantix also and i'm down from a pack a day to maybe one or two ciggs, i'm still trying tho its hard!!
Don't expect too much at first.  Cut down and After a week you may be able to stop completly. It's by far the best aid I've ever tried and I tried them all. all the best.
Congratulations ya'll on quiting and cutting down.  I haven't completely quit yet, still on day 4 but don't seem to have the gravings at all.  Just smokin outta habit, I guess, so probably do need to break some of the habitual times that I smoke. And then when I do smoke, I think to myself that did not do anything for me....crazy huh.

Ionote, I was wondering how long have you been on the chantix?  From a pack a day to two that is great.

Ya'll rock!!
deb

I have been on Chantix for 9 days now.  I am not cig free yet but am down from 1 pk per day to 2-3 cigs per day.  I have only had a slight nauseaus feeling once in a while.  I have tried numerous times to quit with some short lived success.  This has got to be, for me, the best yet.  Every day the cravings get less and less.  I have been a smoker for 23 years.  
Keep up the good work.  You CAN do it.

Carbaholic
I've been on it over a month a smoke free about 3 weeks. It worked slower for me but did work, no shock or cold turkey just gradual. all the best
well it's day 6 here and omg the nausea.....i finally called the dr this afternoon and she called in some phenagrin.....the two pills a day were just way hard on my stomach. hopefully this will help that, no matter what I'm gonna kick this habit.
deb
keep it up deb . I hope you can stay on it long enough to be smoke free for a while. My sister only took it for a week because she was also having some stomach problems (probably  unrelated) but has been smoke free for almost a month like me.all the best
Congratulations to you and your sister.  Ya'll are to be commended. It's a tough battle.
thanks for the support.  today is the first day without ANY cigs.  so far so good.  the phenagrin helped with the nausea, so i'm ready to tackle this habit.
ya'll rock,
deb
how's it going? I still smoke free for almost a month. has some bad cravings yesterday but didn't cave in. all the best
anyone gaining weight ?
I think the fear of gaining weight is the only reason I haven't quit smoking.
No I not gaing weight it may be because I haven't been feeling well but I'm not smoking almost a month
i'm not doin so well........on chantix for two weeks tomorrow and still smoking...some days more than others.  dealing with other issues doesn't help.  Only smoked twice yesterday, then caved in big time today.  Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.  

bama, I'm getting back to the gym to make sure I don't turn to eating to substitute for nocotine.  
You just keep trying and one day on the Chantix you will say "I'm Done".  Tomorrow is 1 month with no smoking and 3 weeks off Chantix for me and if I can do it anyone can.

***I Love Being a Non-Smoker***
Thank you for the encouragement. Can I ask how long you were on the Chantix before you quit smoking?  I know it's not the nicotene I want....it's the habit.  Like when i feel stressed I grab a cig...yuk
deb