heavy smoker, What is the best way to quit
New to the site.  I have been smoking for about 30 years and am sick of it.  There are a bewildering amount of "quite smoking" programs out there.  What is the best way to quit? Cold Turkey?
    I've quit regular cigarettes and switched to electronic which is just the nicotine and none of the more dangerous cancerous chemicals in cigarettes. This has been the best way for me to quit though everyone is different. There are some initial withdraws from the other chemicals in regular cigarettes once switching to electronic but they pass within a week or so. I must tell you since quitting I feel so much better; breathing is easier, food taste better, and I can actually run! (Which is usually unheard of amongst the smokers I have known) (=  When quitting smoking you have to firmly decide you want to quit and regardless of the way you choose if you have the willpower to do it you absolutely will succeed. I wish you the best of luck in your quitting journey!
Thanks madidamagi.  I think electronic cigs may be the way for me.  A few friends are on the e-cigs and they swear by them.  

If I were to try cold turkey, do you know of any suppliments that help ease the withdrawls?
During the transition I worked out and heavily meditated. If you are interested in meditation there are some very good guided meditation videos on Youtube that can help you. I'm not sure if there are any supplements available. You might want to do some research into that or even ask your local pharmacist. Just remember to keep breathing and don't be too hard on yourself if you do slip up. It happens to everyone.Stay true to your decision and you will absolutely succeed.
Good Luck!! (=
I successfully quit smoking by gradually reducing the number of cigarettes I smoked. It took a while, but there was no backsliding, and no withdrawal symptoms.