Smoking Addiction Community
how do i quit

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

how do i quit

Hi everyone I'm 7 weeks preggers and am desperately trying to quit smoking and just don't know how. I have cut down from a pack a day to about 5-6 a day but that's not fast enough for me. I've tried cold turkey and the e-ciggs but its not working. Any suggestions :) thanks
Great job on trying to quit! :)  Here's the thing: the stress of quitting, or trying to even can put stress on the baby.  I was told by my doctors (four pregnancies) to only smoke when I absolutely had to, which turned out to be about 5 a day.  All of my children are healthy.  I am not advocating smoking while pregnant here.  This is simply what I know about it. - Blu
Thank you for the advice. I'm still trying to quit just going to cut down slowly. :)
I had more or less the same experience as BluCrystal. Four healthy babies. So the advice is -- if you can't quit, cut back to a level that is minimally toxic.
Is this how you quit?
Is this how you quit?
I was a "confirmed" smoker for over sixteen years. I swore I would rather die ten years early then live those ten years without a cigarette. Anytime I did try to quit, it was a terrible experience and I was a neurotic mess. Eventually, I did want to quit and I tried everything. I was so depressed when nothing worked, then I found a book at my local Barnes and Nobel. It is by a man named Allen Carr and the book is called "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking." The book (believe it or not, it's up to you) has a 95% quit smoking rate, and I am happy to say I am one of them. But here's the kicker, I have had ZERO withdrawal issues since reading it. Probably the BEST investment I ever made. All the crap you hear about patches and aids and cold turkey etc etc is all bs (sorry). :) Nicotine is a drug, but the withdrawal effects are so minimal that you don't notice them physically (this is a scientific fact). The problem is we as humans have been brain washed to believe it is giving up something when in fact, stopping smoking isn't giving up anything. I feel better now than I have in years and I know with 100% certainty I will never have another cigarette again. I am a non smoker again, and I will stay this way for the rest of my life. :)

Good luck with getting free from the "little monster". I do hope you'll read the book, I've yet to meet anyone who has read it and not stopped smoking easily and happily :)
im also trying to quit with a slow pace
From what I have seen personally, cutting back seems to have a better success rate than quitting cold turkey. Having said that, I know of two people who simply stopped one day and never smoked again. I also know of a strange case where someone would smoke like a chimney for one year, abstain for one year, smoke for one year, and on and on. Every New Year's Eve he would switch. It was the weirdest smoking habit I have ever seen.