Smoking Addiction Community
how to quit while living with a smoker?? Help!

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Hello all :) I have decided that I want to quit smoking for good. I am 31 now and have been smoking for the last 6 years. Im so dumb for even starting. Who starts smoking at 25?? My parents don't smoke, my sibilings don't smoke, but for some stupid reason at 25 I started this bad habitt! The reason I have decided to quit is because god has blessed me with a beautiful baby(6 months now) and I don't want him to grow up with out a mommy or to grow up to be a smoker. Anyhoo Im here because I need some advice. My husband smokes and refuses to even try to quit. I find it triggers me to want to smoke when I see him smoke or smell smoke on him.I get very anxious, my heart starts racing and I eventualy cave in and have a smoke. We have have always smoked out doors. My husband gets very frustarated when I ask him to quit with me. It has caused many arguements between us. If anyone else has sucsessfuly quit while living with a smoker please share your secrets with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi!
Yes, it is difficult to quit smoking when someone around you smokes. You have a few options which you can explore. One is that your doctor can prescribe drugs such as Chantix or Champix (Varenicline) to help you quit smoking. It reduces the cravings and decreases the pleasures associated with smoking. However, the drug has its side effects and can only be taken under constant supervision of a medical practitioner. Your husband too can take this medication under medical supervision. However, before that you both need counseling, he more than you, so that both of you can do this as a team. Please ask your family doctor or someone close to intervene, so that your husband too realizes the importance of quitting smoking. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.