Smoking Addiction Community
is this normal- please help

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

is this normal- please help

i quit smoking 2 months ago.....relapsed... quit again about 25 days ago
i am 29. smoked for 8 years about 2-7 cigarettes a day
i am not coughing and i am not wheezing.. i did great on spirometry test and my blood tests came back all normal
the only thing that bothers me is the phlegm stuck in the back of my throat every morning... i have to force it out and when i do get it out os clear phlegm with tiny brown flecks in it...not much just a pea size or less per day...it used to me more the first couple of weeks...

is this normal? when will it go away?

thank you
sandy
Hi Sandy, and congrats on your quit!  25 days, whoo hoo!  Got your note - honey try not to worry, the phlegm with the brown specks is a buildup of tar in your lungs and is completely Normal and will go away soon!  Good news for you at the Pulomonologist, too!  I'm also using Musinex to keep that junk coming up.  

Keep up the hard work, and Sandy, really, let this be your last quit.  You are still VERY young, so be done with this nasty habit.  I am 53 now and trust me, the habit gets more and more ingrained the older you get.  I'm leaving you the link to "whyquit", a quit smoking site with a TON of educational info.  You may join, but they only support a cold turkey quit. I will post my tracker from there as well as my tracker from here at MedHelp.  It gives a sense of accomplishment to fill in that 0 every day.  

Good luck to you, honey!!

http://whyquit.com/

---
4w 18:56 smoke-free, 287 cigs not smoked, $86.10 saved, 23:55 life saved
thank you so much Jade :) i truly appreciate it

yes cold Turkey here.  its hard but it must be done

i go in often to whyquit.com. it has helped me stay quit but also it has also elevated my anxiety... i can help but cry when i read the stories...

you have done so well. you have inspired myseld and others. you are 53 years young and full of energy

i will post a tracker as well. :)

i am not using mucinex at this time since it gives me nose bleeds

if you have any advise on how to deal with gunk please please please let me know
it scares me so much
God bless!!! have a wonderful day
sandy
Ok, the Musinex for you is out, so other than 'time', I have no other suggestions.  It WILL go away though on it's own, so please try not to get yourself all worked up over it, okay?  I promise you, it will go away!  I smoked pot on top of the cigs, so just imagine the phlegm *I* was coughing up...black and gross, let me tell you!...and scary!

Thank you for your sweet words, I truly appreciate them but this is not my first time quitting.  My first time was in 07 which was what brought me here to MedHelp.  I hope this will be my Last time though, as I cannot breathe anymore while smoking; the congestion is just unreal, and I'm afraid I'm on my way to COPD or worse!  

Oh, and hey, if the stories on whyquit are upsetting you, then avoid those and just read the articles.  

I know it's hard Sandy, but the cravings will get less and less as time goes on.  Big Hug, you're doing great!!!
OH...one suggestion would be to deep breathe throughout the day.  When we smoke, we are taking that big inhale many, many times a day, but that all comes to a stand still when we stop smoking.  To keep the mucus moving, be aware and take deep breathes as often as you can remember to.  That's another trick I'm using.  I actually set my timer the first few weeks every hour so I would remember. LOL

Dear Jade,
Thank you so much for your messages. I read them last night and slept better because of your reassurance. I cant thank you enough...
I keep taking deep breaths throughout the day ..just like you said :)
as you might have guessed by now :) i have anxiety issues as well...
this is not my first quit either... i have quit a couple of times before...but this is first time i am seeing the tan flecks in the phlegm... maybe they were there i had not noticed before...
did you experience this gunk in your previous quits?
hugs
sandy