nicorette gum
What are the long-term risks of continuing to chew nicorette gum for years?  I chew maybe one or 2 pieces a day.  I quit smoking 8 years ago and I realize I am addicted to the nicotine in the gum.  This is all right with me, but is it possible it can cause cancer of the mouth like chewing tobacco can?  I asked the nicorette people at their 800 number, and they said it couldn't give you cancer, but they sternly advised me to stop chewing it, that I was addicted to it now instead of cigarettes.  

Many thanks - this is a great idea for a website!

Start a new post. You will get more answers that way.
Do nicotene patches or gums give exactly the same form of nicotene as is in the smoke? Thanks
Well, I've been "doing" this gum for like 20 yrs. I'm totally addicted- so is my BFF with the same history. It's exhausting- 2mg or 4mg- original/mint/cinammon. Give me a break! Blobs everywhere. Foil packets that are impossible to open. I used to think about the $ I was spending. No longer. It's part of my weekly expenses. I'm chewing 24/7 and it seems to be getting worse if that's possible. More addicting than heroin- you bet.I have again lost control on Nicorette. I need to go to a 30 day rehab. Be locked up with fellow Nicorette addicts and we can all kill each other and eat our way into oblivion. The Chantix side effects scare me. I'm thinking.. I won't get cancer on the gum. Is this the case?I sure want to believe that. Maybe we all can pick a date and everyone will stop chewing 25% at given intervals- we can form like a Mickey Mouse Club for Nicorette Addiction- and we can support one another. Let me know....
I am a 25 yr smoker who quit on the patch about 6 yrs ago, made it 13 months, then thought I could have an occaisional cigar, went to a box a week in no time. Patched again, and after I tried some nicorrete, decided that was good, but then found myself chewing box after box. Deciced that I would chew Coppenhagen to get off nicorette. Wow what an addiction nicotine is! Well I got precancerous esophagus from chewing (and swallowing) Cope. So I said I better go back on smokes so I can quit chewing! I went back on patch 11/27/07, but needed an extra boost from nicorette. I am on about 8 pieces of 4mg since. I can't even drop down to 2mg! So, I would really like a straight answer about nicorette. I also have Leukemia, and not a curable form. I am doing the best I can. Somebody has to know if this gum causes anything!
I am a nicorette addict too and I think it's causing me lots of problems. I completely relate to the posts about blobs of gum everywhere. Thought I was the only one. Truth is, look at how the marketing of this junk has changed over time. Remember when it came in 1 flavor, tasted like medicine and was so hard it gave you a jaw ache? Now they've got lots of flavors, great texture and they sponsored a NASCAR. There must be lots of us out there.

I think I'm having some pretty serious problems, dizzyness and swallowing. I've asked many doctors about the side effects and no one can tell me. I don't think anyone is aware of how much nicotine people like us are getting. WAY MORE than cigarettes! I know smoking is much worse, and I'm not going back to that- but people need to start talking about the effects of long-term chewing of this gum. The manufacturers know people are chewing it box after box.
First of all, this is a very old post from 1999. Almost no one on it is here anymore. so start a new post. Do a search on Google about nicotine & or addiction. You might be surprised.
I was online trying to do research about being addicted to nicorette gum. And here it is. Old post or not there is a lot of good info here!

I am an ex smoker. I started at age 13 and was a smoker at age 14. Terrible I know. I will never let my girls do the same as I did!! The first time I quit I was 19yrs old but only quit a couple months. I tried quitting numerous times but same thing it only lasted a couple months. I got pregnant and quit smoking but chewed tobacco instead. I chewed for almost two years before I went back to smoking. Anyhow I have used nicorette gum several different times for a peroid of 6mo to a year. This last time I was on the gum over a year. I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription for Chantix. Yes Chantix does work but I cant take the side effects. It makes my muscles ache at night and makes me so extremely tired.

So then after I had quit the gum after using Chantix I had a really bad day and bought a pack of cigerettes. Got tired of smoking and got the gum and I cant stop chewing the dang gum!!! As soon as the flavor runs out I just gotta have another piece!!! And I got soooo sick of it that I said forget it. This is it. I am quitting. Without the Chantix. It's it the cupboard and I'll keep it incase someday I may need it or give it to somebody.
Anyhow it's been 5 days. I chew Orbit mint gum and bubble gum. I am also getting over a cold and I feel the life and energy has been zapped outta me. I don't know if it has anything to do with the gum or if it's all from the cold. All I know is that I am not going to be putting any more toxins into my body. Nobody really knows the long term effects of nicorette gum. But anyone who cares about thier health and is aware of how toxins can affect the body knows that nicorette gum can not be 100% safe. Sure it's better than smoking.
The reason I came to this sight is to find out what the long term effects of using nicorette gum.  I quit smoking 14 weeks ago.  I know I was supposed to quit the gum after 12 weeks. (that did not work out so well) I really want to chew the gum.   I realize people are chewing it for years.  I hope that is all right for our health.  I would rather chew gum than to go back to smoking.  I am 63 years old and have smoked since I was 16.   my grandchildren have urged me to quit.  They can not stand the smell of cigrettes.    So thanks for all the comments.
these were the funniest posts i have ever read anywhere!!!!   Needless to say i can relate.  I am a physician, so of course no one can understand  why i smoke and or chew nicorette.  I quit smoking from age 48 to age  51  using nicorette like 15 pieces a day,  and yes its better than smoking and plus we can chew it in surgery,  try smoking there. Unfortunately,i could never get off the gum  ,    so 2 years ago I started smoking again:  and now after two  years of smoking,   and chewing the nicorette and sometimes wearing patches also  to lower  the gum and cigs,  i quit everything but the gum.  I know this is my last chance,   so i plan on chewing the   generic gum (members mark)  for 6 months or so and then get off the gum,   the funny thing is i do not even like to chew gum unless it is  nicotine gum,  oh well i agree we need a site for people trying to do the right thing but have a hard time with out NICOTINE!!!!!!!!!!!
I have read that chewing the nicotine gum can cause a break in apoptosis.  Apoptosis is cell death.  We need apoptosis to kill cells that are changing or just not normal.  More research needs to be done.  I have chewed the gum many years.  After the first maybe 4 or 5 years I found out I have non-hodgkins lymphoma (a form of cancer).    The cancer includes a problem with apoptosis.

I can't say for sure that nicotine gum has caused my cancer.  I do wish I had never started using the gum.  I have found it very, very addictive.  If you use nicotine gum, I suggest you work very hard to quit.  Good luck and God Bless You.
I have just read that nicotine, whether it be smoking, patch or gum, causes an interference in the way chemotherapy works regarding cancer of the lung.  The article stated that the nicotine prevents apoptosis.  We need apoptosis to keep from getting cancer.  The article said somehow the nicotine protects the cell (the one that should be killed) from being killed by apoptosis.

I getting ready for a stem cell transplant, just having taken chemotherapy.  I don't have lung cancer.  I have non-hodgins lymphoma. Just because my cancer type is different, I don't see that my situation would be different because I too, need apoptosis to work correctly.  I'm quitting!  Won't you?  I know it is going to be hard, but I've been fighting cancer a long time.  I can do it.  You can, too.  We need to get the word out about this apoptosis thing.  I don't think the doctors warn their patients.  Maybe they can't say too much because the research is an on going thing.  Maybe doctors could get sued if they told their patients not to use the patch or gum.  All they can tell the patient is to stop smoking.

I hope this helps some of you out there.  Just google apoptosis and nicotine.  There is a good amount of info there.

Was very nice to find this thread today, even though it dates back 10 years.  Today is DAY ONE for me without Nicorette.  Again.  I know I can do it, but surfed for some posts just to help me out. And reading that last post, about apoptosis, may be just the extra boost I need today.  Thanks for posting that!  

Smoking history - started at age 11, quit at 31 with Nicorette - chewed it for 9 months.  Had 7 years nicotine free - never even though about a cigarette!  Then came some stress, I thought I could have ONE PUFF (ha!), and soon started smoking again.  Smoked 2 years, feeling guilty as hell.  Stopped again with nicorette - 5 and a half years ago!  I don't ever, ever, ever plan to put a cigarette in my mouth again - not ever ONE PUFF!!

Now it's time to get off the gum... I used to joke I'd chew it forever - I, too, chewed it like regular gum, easily 20 - 25 pieces a day.  My New Year's Resolution was to not buy any more.  I ran out yesterday - well, almost.  I threw the last 5 pieces in the garbage so I could wake up this morning and not have even one.  I know I'll be o.k. - I've been through this before.  But I'm dizzy today, very distracted, and have decided to not make any big decisions till maybe mid-week ;)  Wish me luck!  

I quit drinking 2-1/2 years ago.  I then decided  I needed to have a vice, so I started smoking.  Then, in order to quit the smoking, I bought Nicorette which I have chewed for over 2 years now.  Today is my second day without the gum.   Like others here, I was lethargic, got sick quite a bit with bronchitis and the flu, my stomach was constantly gurgling, and it gave me gas and diarrhea on a daily basis.  I've had gum stuck to my pants, all over my car, tin foil packets everywhere.  I've replaced the Nicorette with Peelu Dental Chewing Gum I purchased at Whole Foods.  It has the same shape and it's coated like the Nicorette.  I used EFT (tapping on pressure points) to help me to stop.  This made it easy.  However, I am still irritable and edgy from withdrawal.  Hope this helps someone.
I can relate with most of the people here. I smoked cigarettes and marijuana for quite over 8 years. It got so intense that when I did not have weed, I would suck of cigarettes like there was no tomorrow.
So I decided to leave smoking entirely, but with the help of nicorette gum.

Now with this gum, albeit that it is not properly tested as to its long term effects, and the surrounding studies that it may contribute to cancer; it has been the best means against smoking, and I amongst all those who have know of the health growth upon quitting cigarettes for over 6 months with some exercise.

But the thing is, I realise this gum is causing me memory problems as well as concentration.  Well it is nicotine, but I did not have these problems on cigarette alone, nor with weed, as it would wear off in short time. The gum on the other hand, I believe is contributing to memory and concentration lags, and I would like to hear from anyone else who has experienced this same symptoms.
1 year 4 months on nicotine gum. Both of my root canals had to be redone. depressed,slight hair loss,Gas, and my legs started to hurt..I quite 3 days ago. Legs feel normal in 1 day. depression stopped, teeth feel great.I feel great. I do have withdrawal, but reading posts and feeling  results are helping very much. I'm just Damn sick of the gum! I buy the 4MG, and chew half pieces 10 times a day, so it's like (5) 2 MG, but in a way tricks the mind, and is cheaper. After each chewed piece, I'd add it to my huge gum ball that I roll around in the palms of my hands. Once it becomes the size of a golf ball, or a baseball, It makes you think. Believe me, I try everything. YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT TO QUIT.  Not just a little, I mean sick of it!then prepare for the battle which will go away.
I have been chewing 2 mg Nicorette gum for about 20 years.  I recently developed a mild throat and chest infection, and I have not been able to chew any gum for 4 days now because of the irritation and coughing.   More importantly though, I have not had any of the usual withdrawal symptoms I get when trying to stop.  I don't know if this situation will change or whether the cravings will return when the infection goes away, but so far so good.   Wish me luck because I so want to stop this bad habit.   If it works, who knows - the cure may be to chew so many pieces of gum so quickly that it gives you an infection like mine!  Personally I think it would be worth it to be able to stop.
K
Hi, I've was smoking for almost 10 years before i started nicorette gum.  I have been on them for almost 3 years now.  Without them i feel irratable and anxious, maybe worse than when I was smoking.  They've also created this burning sensation in my mouth which seems to feel like it's travelled down my throat.  My windpipe feels like there's something lodged there now most times i take a nicorette gum (or a sensation like i need to burp).  I wish i could give up the nicorette gum.  I guess it's all down to will power.  They should create another milder (cheaper) gum for those who have completed the program and wish to have some form of placibo for people trying to quit 'nicorette gum'  It's exhausting chewing day after day after day.. for 3 years!!! lol

I managed to get off nicorette by going on to extra strong mints- the type that burn your mouth and deaden your taste buds. That worked for me.

Yes I did eventually go back on to the cigs, but not until years later.

It was a useful learning experience though, because when I try to quit again, it will definitely be cold turkey, and I won't be going within a mile of anything containing nicotine!

Take care
I have chewed a lot of Nicorette over the past 20 years to the point where I have probably paid for their racing yacht
It is very addictive (not funny how these pharmaceutical companies manage to sell addictive substances without a prescription; a great way to make lots of money)
Long ago I used to smoke, chew gum and use patches all at the same time
That's how bad it was
My grandfather died of lung cancer and so did my father
My son is very addicted as well
I am good now, I gave up smoking 2 years ago after I saw a 50% blockage in one of my arteries on a monitor in the hospita
I live in Indonesia where they don't sell Nicorette (big tobacco is still stronger than big pharma here) so I import it from Singapore
I now use half a 2mg piece at a time
That is nice and small
I don't like a whole 2mg piece of gum any more
But I will never give it up I guess
LOL, as embarassing as it is, I am glade to see that I am not alone.  I have been addicted to this gum for 10 years.  For the last 5, I have chewed 45/pc per day of the 2mg gum.

This is addiction has run my life for too long.  I am so sick of it, the money, the constant chewing, the hiding it, gum everywhere.....

I quick on Thursday, it's Sunday, so day three.  I had to quite, my inspiration was my new daughter and finding out my blood pressure on a good day was 144/ 93.

I have been smoking for 8 years now, am 26. I only smoke about 5 smokes a day, so today I started nicorette 2 mg gum. I noticed that it does work! BUT I feel like it is upsetting by belly, and now it is 11 pm and I have had 4 pieces and the box says to have 1 every 1-2 hours, I think I'd be sick if I did that! Do you think my belly fills a little nauseous from this gum, is it too much?
I have been one and all of the above!
Please give up the gum.....
You don't give Heroin or Coccaine to a drug addict to quit ... do you?
So why NRT...It's a con!
Read Allen Carr - or listen to his tapes!
Regards...Good Luck!
You will enjoy the freedom!!!!!!
Back on the gum for a few days, done all the different things to quit smoking and the gum is the best way..I can chew one tab of gum for hours. Do not chew in bed not a good idea. Best places to chew the gum is: in the car, on the way to work, watching tv, making dinner, when you wake up(like breakfast in bed), in the shower, thaking a sht, at a wedding, during a concert, on a date, during a test, baking, washing dishes, at the beach, at a fireworks show, after a snack, at band camp, shopping, basketball game, snowboarding, a game of chess, flying a kite and so so much more...the list is endless.  O ya it can be used to also fix many things like McGuyver....Hope that helps :)  
Ihave smoked for 50 years ,i had lung cancer i used the patch and it worked while i wore it but after i took it off i started smoking again, i have very bad copd, i can't hardly do anything because i can't breath, i started the nicorette gum sundayfeb.27 and i'm doing good haven't had a cig. yet. the gum is the best i ever tried.i wish everyone luck on quitting
Easy solution here everyone: e-cigarettes, if bought from a reputable supplier. During my 30+ years of smoking a pack a day, I tried everything to quit. I did quit once for 6 months using Nicorette but broke a tooth using it, still felt totally addicted, and eventually gave up. I finally discovered "vaping" the e-cigarette and quit cigs cold turkey the same day, and now I haven't touched a regular cig, not once, in more than a year. I am so very thankful for this lifesaving product, which you can use with or without nicotine.  
interesting....where did you buy yours? and aren't you still inhaling nicotine into your lungs?
30 pieces of gum, 15 lozenges, 10 microtabs PER DAY = my addiction for 15 months.  

I don't know if it was related but I had inflamation of the kidneys 10 months into my nic addiction.  I used patches and extra gum to ween myself off nic products.  My kidneys are now fine-- interesting.  I'm off the patches but now a extra addict-- at least it is a lot cheaper than nicorette!
Wow! I quit cold turkey from cigarettes 6 months ago. When deciding to use patches, gum or other aids I am thankful that I decided on cold turkey. It was tough, still is on occasion but I am free of nicotine. I so feel for you guys, it is all about trading one addiction for another isnt it? You are addicted to the very aids you used to get off of the smoking but still need the nicotine. Me, well lets just say that my current battle is the weight gain from trying to replace the hand/mouth fixation. Im starting Atkins soon and have taken up chewing sugarless gum to keep my mouth full and not stick food in it. lol
Hi there, been chewing nic gum for at least 7 or more years I lost count a long time ago. I chew half a peice now put still manage to eat 6 pieces a day. My wife complains about the little yellow gum balls that miss the trash can in the bedroom at night. I just heard about this mouth cancer from nic gum thing. I dont have it that I know of just wanted to research it a little. Regardless, these days cancer in blamed on everything from alarm clocks to cell phones. From what I read nic gum is still safer than cigerettes and other nic products. Oh ya, an a tip for you fellow nic gum addicts, I buy it buy the case from ebay , and find it from 5-15 dollars a box at the local flea markets and around 11-16 dollars a box on ebay. I rarely buy the 35-50 dollar boxes from the drug store or walmart. I love my gum and find it to keep my teeth clean from chewing reguarly.

thanks,

j0vian
I actually chew nicortte gum to help out my anxiety(OCD comorbid with ADD) I've been chewing two 4mg pieces along with my adderal and wellbutrin. Nicottine actually follows the same neural pathways interms of activating the sypathetic autonomic nervous system for he norepinephrine and dopamine activation, which is what wellbutrin and adderal do. However I do have concernes about losing my teeth, cancer, etc. I have been doing this for about 6 monthes. Never smoked a day in my life but i have my concerns. Have any of you ever had a problemn with tooth loss or anything else. I'm about 25 years old, great diet(no sugar, 50% carbs 30% Protein 20% fat, no dairy , use almond milk and supplements for calcuim, no fruit, tons of vegetables(low glycemic and all raw)  nothing processed or in a package, wieght train and Zumba , 10-12% body fat,) I just want to know if i'm at rick becuase teh nicorette does wonders for my anxiety and i want to keep it that way. Please send me a message if you have information or articles, thank you
I have used nicorett since june 1, 1996 and can not quit. I have gum disease from using the gum and have lost teeth because of it. I now have dentures because I used the gum for so long. I am wearing a patch and I search every corner of my house hoping to find a piece of gum. I chewed 30 pieces a day and slept with it in my mouth at night.
I am 48 and have chewed the stuff for over a decade--probably longer. Have often worried about the effects and have deliberately not investigated UNTIL NOW!.. Five years ago I developed a salivary cyst that the doctor assured me was not caused by the gum ~(I have my doubts) but the bigger side effect for me is elevated heart rate and sometimes palpitations....I really noticed this when the exercise class I was taking insisted we all wear a heart rate monitor...and it has been interesting to see that my heart rate is very changeable from class to class and often related to the amount I have been chewing...Has anyone continued to exercise while they chew? I have always been a runner, even when i smoked...and now as a chewer...and doing both is starting to wear me out. So yesterday at 3 I quit and I am going to go cold turkey. Last night was pretty dreadful (restless) and I'm worried I won't be able to work or concentrate and that i'll be a crazy b@@@ but I am fed up with it--the whole messy business of it...and so am setting a goal of daily exercise and tons of running as all that fresh oxygen...well, let's see...suspect i am in the worst and most dangerous section: day 2.
Feel myself weakening....longing for a piece.
dont quit now, it wont be long before the addiction passes a week at the most! just get through that and you will be fine, i have been addicted for 6 years to the 2mg gum about 20pcs a day. have been fooling myself that they are harmless because ever since i quit smoking i have been ill all the time! i have had no nicotine for 48hrs now the nights are bad (sweats, restless, insomnia, fear) but i am determined that nicotine is not going to rule my life anymore!! its just stupid because surely after 13years of smoking i gave that up then the gum should be a piece of cake in comparison! good luck to all in the process of quitting, we can do it! :)
I have been chewing over 20 pieces of 4 mil gum for over 8 years. I do it 2 at a time (8 mils a whack) to get the feeling of that "rush" of a cigarette use to give. Niccorette is for the most part horrible stuff that gives me indigestion and leaves an acidy taste in my mouth. Thrive "Fruit Explosion" rules the day. I think it is much better than smoking, however it seems that it is FAR more likely you will reach for the gum every hour than going for a smelly socially unacceptable smoke. This is the reason for abuse. The nic companies advice strongly on their literature in their packaging not to use over long periods and not to exceed the dosage, but hell, from the pharmacists to the dentists, all professionals seem to say the long term use its better than smoking. I'm a bit suspicious. How can it be healthy to chew petrochemicals all day??? There needs to be more research and epidemiological studies on this. I'm starting to rant and I'm off on a tangent here, but to Jana 5's question about getting off the gum...besides cold turkey, a doctor once told me that I should go to the patch to get a baseline of nicoteen to reduce then eventually stop the chew habit. It worked at the time quite well, and I am shortly going back to this, combined with eating the less preferable chalky lozenges.  Good luck. ZaChewer.
Now THAT'S funny! I thought I was the only old lady gum addict out there-guess not. Quit a week ago and am not enjoying it.  I know the nicotine is out of my system, but you couldn't tell by my crabbiness and lethargy. I DO feel cleaner and healthier already, though.
I have been off nicorette gum for a week now.
I was on about 8 2mg pieces a day for about 2 years. Sometimes I was using them just because I felt like gum and happened to have it around! Usually though I liked the slight rush it gave me as well as the flavour. I would be alternating between coffee and the gum all day at work.
I think it may have contributed to anxiety during the day and difficulty sleeping at night. It got quite embarrassing keeping reaching into my bag to get gum throughout the day next to my work colleagues and also when I was out with someone who asked for a gum but I couldn't give them one!

Anyway I think the sleeping is a bit better. I do feel like some gum but it is out of the house. I actually smoked in the last couple of days of my chewing whilst I had a cold. A final blast. It made me feel awful and then I ran out of the gum so I decided enough was enough.  

Anyway - just have to take it in short intervals at the moment. I know I don't need to have one tonight before I sleep and that's good enough for me. I do recommend stopping if you happen to be ill!
Have signifcantly reduced my use of 2MG gum. No pieces yesterday. Only 2 the day before. I like the "zing/rush" the gum gives me. I can focus and my hunger is held at bay. But...I know that chewing this stuff for a long period of time is probably not healthy. I'm trying to stop because it affected my stomach and the way my body processed food. Too many pieces would give me diarrhea, One morning I had abourt 10 pieces! This habit is getting out-of-control. I'm feeling better, but stil have cravings-I'm addicted to the gum but have to give it up. I feel like it is ruining my stomach lining and or intestines. I was relieved to read that  I wasn't the only one who stashed "wads" and tried to hide the habit.
Don't chew the gum, best not to try one piece.  The only way to give up nicotine is cold turkey.

This is my story:

When I was 19 I dated a guy who smoked roll up cigarettes and marjuana.  I was very anti-smoking.  One day when trying to give up his habit he had nicotine chewing gum.  I tried some, liked it and then had pieces every so often for the mini rush when he was chain chewing it.  We dated 6 years, he inevitably relapsed into smoking and it was not long before I tried a cigarette and he taught me to smoke it properly.  I would have the odd joint and even tried coke, ecstasy etc on occasion - and I started with Nicorette!

Anyway I eventually decided to quit smoking, and discovered that I couldn't.  Then I started on a pattern of chewing gum for a week or two, then running out of gum and buying a packet of cigarettes because they were easier to get hold of.  Smoking more than ever for next couple of weeks, before deciding to quit again with the gum.  This has gone on for years.  

I am now 33, that's 14 years since I first chewed the gum.  I have not smoked a cigarette for a year, but cannot ditch the gum.  I chew about 30 pieces a day and it is very embarrassing.  I have to hide the chewed gum from my husband so he doesn't get disgusted by the amount I've chewed.  It's like this big secret that I don't talk about with anyone.

The bad points:
- it is costing me £100 a month!
- the social embarrassment of people asking for a piece of gum seeing me put a piece in my mouth and having to say its my last piece!
- the enormous pile of chewed gum everywhere
- being in a work meeting and popping chewing gum throughout with others noticing and thinking it odd
- having to keep gum-remover close by for when it gets on clothing/bedding
- the panic when I forget to bring it with me or run out and the ever-present risk that I'll smoke as I'm still just as nicotine-dependent as the last day I smoked
- not knowing the long term risks
- the shame of knowing I chewed it throughout my pregnancy and when breastfeeding my daughter
- the example I will set to her if I don't do something about it before she is old enough to notice

So... I'm trying again to quit.  It's not the first time.  But I'm not working at the moment so less stressed, my daughter is now sleeping through the night so I'm rested, and never has the financial incentive for quitting been more pressing (I'm on maternity leave).  It is 3 days I've been nicotine free.  I hope I stay strong.

NRT need further research and should be more controlled.  They are easy to purchase (I have been rotating shops for years so I don't have to explain my habit to a nosy pharmacist/shop assistant), you can chew in public places yet they are highly addictive.  If you are struggling to kick the fags they are likely to be healthier than cigarettes but they will not cure the addiction - the only thing that will do that is will power.
Try to find sugarless gum without the harmful sugar substitutes like aspartame and sorbitol.  Over time they may be worse for you than the nicotine.  Nicotine gums use xylitol which is a natural sweetner.  I haven't been able to find sugarless gum which uses only xylitol as a sweetner. Let me know if you can locate any.
This posting is old but here goes. I have been chewing Nicorette on most every day for 11 years and quit smoking before that. I hate cigarettes and rather than go back to them went to the gum. I go through 10 to 14 pieces a day, no health issues and yes, I love it and I'm addicted but Nicorette doesn'e have any harmful effects for me, none... I work out daily, am a health nut now but can't kick it. The Dr. said it has not increased my BP and it's fine... it's expensive, that's the drawback...  Chew on dude
I quit smoking 1 1 /2 years ago after 50 years by using 4 mg nicorette gum. I had a bad cold one day and when I inhaled it hurt really bad. With the cost of cigarettes, the stigma and loss of rights (to smoke where you want), that was the last straw. I have gradually reduced from 4 mg to 2 mg (after 1.5 years) and tapered-off the use of the gum (for one month) until I stopped entirely three days ago. I was getting a skin rash and experiencing shortness of breath recently which I attributed to the gum. The shortness of breath was really troubling. My doctor gave me lots-O-tests and couldn't find a medical reason. Since stopping, those symptoms seem to have disappeared. Time will tell if the skin rash and shortness of breath are gone for good. I don't think I could have quit without the gum. I sure would like more input on side effects other people have experienced with the gum.
I love this idea, I am really addicted as well. At least 10 pieces a day for 5 years.
I am in the same boat, let's do it!
I too am addicted to Nicorette ice mint 4 mg lozenges,

Problem is I smoke menthol cigarettes too when using the lozenges and boy, if u think nicorettes are addictive, try smoking at the same time.

Nicotine overdose warnings are crap. I lit a cigarette one night while tipsy and it was like I discovered the best tasting thing in my life, It gave me a nice feeling, but after a few days that feeling went and I started chasing it again...

I was hooked within a few months, that was 10 years ago and I can't stop. I ran out one day and was uncontrollably chain smoking, even in public I shamelessly lit ciggy after ciggy right up to the door of the store where I got more Nicorette,

I can't give up. I am so addicted now,
Good for you...I quit a week ago also and I feel like crap. I miss the buzz off the gum and I don't want to gain weight. Nicotine is great for keeping weight down. I sleep more and I feel lazy at times. Nicotine gum gives a burst of energy and with coffee forget about it.
I makes your hair fall out and rots your teeth. It also causes depression and nervousness. Don't keep chewing it...Especially since your sick now. God Bless !
That's a crock of crap. Nicotine in any form is bad for you. I chewed that 2mg. crap for over a year and there were times I felt the high you get from it, but most of the time it made me a hyper-maniac and I was chewing day and night. You said you have no health issues.....Well guess what there buddy ?.....you will. With some it takes longer. I been off the gum for three weeks and feel a hell of a lot better. I will always remember chewing that **** made me have this taste like I was putting poison in my mouth and down my throat. I think the gum is as addictive as smoking, if not more....Have a good time chewing that crap Tebob2.
We get your point.....Jerkoff.
Yes, and rot your teeth and make your hair fall out. Read about it here: http://whyquit.com/pr/120108.html

My hair is falling out. Good thing it was extra thick when I started. I've been noticing it getting thinner for about 6 months now. I've lost close to half of my hair. I quit nicotine gum 2 weeks ago, so I don't know yet if it will grow back, hell, I don't know yet if it will stop falling out. But I'm optimistic. I also couldn't breathe without wheezing (thought that would go away when I quit the cigarettes) but surprise! I can breathe a lot better after quitting the gum. Still some wheezing, but way less.

Here's more information on it: http://www.smoking-is-hunger.com/nicorette-gum.html   but this one was written to sell books.

I quit nicotine gum cold turkey, but chew a lot of gum. I tried sugar-free first but turns out that gives me awful gas and diahrrea so I switched to gum that's not sugar-free. It was hard to quit nicotine gum, but not as hard as quitting cigarettes. I quit cigarettes 8 years 10 months ago.