Smoking Addiction Community
quitting smoking

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

quitting smoking

ive been smoking cigarettes for almost 10 years. ive managed to quit a few times. but only for a month at the most. i keep reading about ways to quit online, and i keep reading that its best to quit cold turkey instead of slowly and gradually. i always try the nicotine patches. they do wonderful for the first couple of weeks. but then i still get cravings that just get stronger and stronger. but if i try cold turkey, its completely hopeless. I'll be smoking in a couple hours, if that. im so done with cigarettes. yet im not. if that makes any sense. i just cant figure out how to remove them from my life completely. the two people i live with are also smokers, which is one of the reasons it is so hard for me to stick with my plan. i was also wondering if there were other things that might make me crave a cigarette. like.. im a regular marijuana user. is there any way that my nicotine addiction could be linked to a marijuana addiction? possibly that just the act of smoking weed triggers an urge to smoke cigarettes?
the reason i ask, is because i am pro legalization and i feel strongly about it. i dont plan on quitting weed. my question is that maybe theres a possibility that if i put the weed down while i try to quit cigarettes, it may possibly make it easier to stop the cigarettes? are there any known cases of weed causing a stronger nicotine craving in the mind?
I can only speak from my point of view, but for me, the weed was my downfall and what made staying quit with the cigs, impossible.  Your theory is my theory - just the act of continuing to inhale something made me crave cigarettes like crazy which is why I quit the weed back in January with the hopes it would make quitting smoking much easier.  It did!  I quit c/t on Apr28th and haven't taken a single puff.  

I wish I could say I haven't smoked any weed at all in 7mos, but I can't.  Have smoked a couple times after I hit the 6mo mark and as predicted, felt cravings for cigs that weren't there before.  Keeping the weed out of my life for the most part though has made a huge difference!    

Best of luck to you!  
Yeah weed gives me the "smokies" the way it gives people the munchies. I don't know if it actually makes me crave a cigarette because of the weed smoke creating an "itch" in my lungs, or if when I'm high I just get the screw-it sort of attitude and lose my willpower. Also when I quit smoking I got really anxious and that didn't mix well with weed as it made me really paranoid. I think drinking and smoking weed are pretty big triggers for a lot of people. Best of luck to you!