Smoking Addiction Community
quitting smoking

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

quitting smoking

i am currently in the middle of quitting, i have not bought a pack of smokes in 3 weeks. i am finding the cravings are getting worse. i do use the patch...anyone know any kind of tips, of what worked for them when fighting off cravings
I'm not sure if you know this, but it takes 3 days for the nicotine to leave your body so the rest is mental/emotional! Don't have any, not even a drag or else the withdrawal will not be complete. It is tough to give advice......what worked for me was to have lolipops. It kept my hand and my mouth busy : ) Something else you might want to do is to visit the whyquit.com site. There is a lot of material there and you need to read, read and do more reading. There is an answer for every question you might have.
Good luck and try posting whenever you feel a craving......by the time you finish writing, your urge will have passed.....they don't last for long, promise : )
Kathy Jo
I have not smoked in 53 Days today... I Myself at the 3rd  week had an awful panic attack so i dont believe that at 3 days the nicotine is out of your system, i dont believe any doctor really knows how or what nicotine and those horrible drugs in cigs do to us completly. I believe that there will always be a day you want it, a secound you miss it, but at the end of the day you will die from smoking and thats not fair for our children, our family, its selfish and we are above it... Just be strong, we can all do it... IAnd when im really needing a horrible stinking cig, i go to the balcouny and take a big deep breathe of air, it will make you feel lucky to be alive..
i have not smoked in 3 weeks and i am having serious cravings/mood swings, i dont know how much longer i can hold out, but i do believe it takes longer then 3 days as well
I'm sure there are tests that have been run to show that nicotine leaves the body by the end of the third day but that doesn't speak to the hundreds of additives that are also in cigarettes and that is possibly where the cravings stem from.
I suggest that everyone spend some time reading the articles at whyquit.com
It has really help me and many others and I know it will help you get through those urges.
Hang in there and I know if you have gotten this far, you can make it all the way! 3 weeks is far to long to give into! Call a friend/family member for support and get busy with your hands and mind..........don't think about it!
Kathy Jo
Nicotine is a powerful drug, addictive as heroin! Yes, it releases the body by 72 hours, but that does NOT mean we'll stop withdrawing.. withdrawals can reach pre-cessation levels at 2 weeks, then ease up again, and for the final duration..
if you go to whyquit. com you'll learn alot more.. it's pretty interesting and loaded with info.. I'm on Chantix right now, 3rd day, and it's 'kind of' working.. but it's early yet.. my quit day is tomorrow (Friday the 8th).. Wish me luck! lol.. We're in this together, believe me! You're not alone! :D
Congrats on 3 weeks though! :D..
Blessings!
Alli
i know what you mean there, good luck i hope it all works out, i used the patch, it took away all withdraw symptons which is what i wanted, i just hope i am strong enough to last
You can do it Leigh and I know that you will! You have come this far and it is well worth it to push yourself not to smoke. Stay positive and talk to someone for support. You are doing fantastic!

Alli, good luck to you. Chantix worked really great but I didn't quit smoking until a week into my second month. I did reduce mt intake and it wasn't that I tried......it just happened. When I quit, I really hadn't planned on that date....I just realized that my morning cigarette was getting later and later into the day and I thought.....hmm...what if instead of lighting up after being awake for 6 hours, I just don't, and I didn't : )
It is 4 months tomorrow : )

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about smoking but the urge just isn't as strong as it was in the beginning. I can simply occupy myself for about 5 minutes and the thought or urge goes. I am just as committed today as I was the day of my quit and I think that is so very important to the quit. Keep reminding yourself about why and keep thinking of the positives and you will make it, I promise : ) Boy, I smell great and I haven't had a hacking fit (cough) in a while!
Keep posting!
Kathy Jo
To TheExModel.....Congratulations on your quit!!  53 days...that's AWESOME!!  I also had panic attacks when I quit.  I think it took over a month to feel decent.  Good Job!!!!! : )

Leigh.....You can do this honey, just hang in there.  The cravings are awful, but if you can MAKE YOURSELF think of something else the craving will pass before you know it.  Come on here and post and like kathyjo said, by the time your done the craving will be gone.  Walking has helped me a lot!  I take deep breaths and picture my lungs getting cleaner each day.  

Angel....Good luck with the Chantix and you said today (the 8th) is your quit day.  You can do it Angel, we are all here for you!!!

And last, but most certainly not least:

kathyjo.....Congratulations of 4 months!! Your AMAZING and I'm so glad to hear you are as committed to your quit as you were the first day.  Your doing such a great job!!!!

And for you new gals, I quit last July, but have had two small relapses.  My last puff was about 2wks ago and I feel great!  I smell better, my skin is softer....that's the major change I've noticed is the skin.  No one else has mentioned that so maybe it's just me.  My hair stays cleaner much longer too.   Even with the "cheating" I have still been smoke-free 90% of the last 7months so that's a huge improvement from, well, EVER and I intend to stay this way this time.  

Stay strong everyone and keep posting.  I am so excited for us!!!!!   :-)  :-)  :-)
What worked for me was smoking like a fiend one night, I mean really chain smoking.  After that, I didn't want to touch a cigarette.  I would occasionally get cravings, but when that happened, I would remember the reason why I was quitting- for my health! And then I would grab a piece of gum and read a book to get my mind off of it.  It's tough, but you can do it.  My friend tried the patch, and had no luck.  He said it did nothing for cravings.  Maybe you could try w/o aids?
FMXSMKR
Thanks but you are amazing! I can't imagine picking myself up and doing it again and yet, you did it! 2 weeks! Wonderful! Your willpower and determination are phenomenal and I think we can all learn from you. Keep it up : )

bmdj56
I glad to hear that your "quit method" worked and thanks for sharing it. I have to give you credit for forcing yourself to smoke, knowing that it would make you ill, but it worked and I guess that's what is important in the end. I don't think my brain would have allowed me to smoke continuously like that : )

In the end, we all struggle to stay quit and that is why I am grateful for this forum. It helps to read the posts and to know that I am not alone : )
Congrats to us all and let's never smoke another cigarette!
i am trying my hardest i work in a call center doing tech support and that is a job that really tests my strength when it somes to quitting smoking, i have a craving now which is why i am writing hopefully to pass it
Funny.....I'm posting because of the cravings too, lol.  I'm going to hit up "whyquit.com" and just start reading.  Fortunately, I don't have to deal with the cravings very often, I don't know why.  I find that most of the day, smoking doesn't even occur to me.  This will happen for you too so just take it one minute at a time if you have to.  Remeber that the average craving only lasts about 3mins.  What is tech support or a call center?  Maybe by the time you type out the description your craving will have passed. : )

Hang in the leigh!!  You can do it.....you WILL do it as kathyjo has said to me.  
Thank you so much for your kind words.  Your such an encouraging person and we all sure need someone like you here. : )  I feel so lucky you decided to quit smoking when you did because otherwise we wouldn't have met!

Oh geez, my 16yr old niece just showed up with two of her friends and they all lit up the minute they got out of the car.  The wind blows off the ocean and right into my house, which is normally cool, just not when there's cigarette smoke in it!!!   I adore my niece and was just heartbroken when she started smoking, but I started as her age too so......

Have a great weekend kathyjo......
tech support, is i fix the internet when its broke
aw shucks : )

regarding your niece.....both of my parents smoked so it just seemed a no brainer....perhaps your niece will see what you are going through and maybe she will realize that the only cool thing about smoking is when you quit : ) I sure hope so!

It's a real cold day here so I am so happy not to have to step outside and have that cancer stick!

Kathy Jo
i started smoking  3 years ago, i was having a hard time and i turned to smoking seems stupid now, i just wanna kick the habit comepletely
Hi Leigh,
If I understand what it is you are saying, the smoking helped you through your hard times? I used to think the same way until I started researching stress and anxiety only to learn that smoking actually increases these symptoms! Don't take my word for it, look it up yourself.
It's obvious that you really want to quit....that you have now for 3 weeks, and you are winning the battle.....hang in there and before long you will look back at these posts and realize how far you have come and how much stronger you have become! You should be so very proud of yourself.....give yourself a pat on the back and know that you are doing the right thing......for you, for your family.
Hang in there Leigh.....we are all pulling for you : )
Kathy Jo
Hi Leigh...I'm on day 3 now and it has been a bit rough...but keeping busy and thinking of other things....there's alot more to think about than smoking ;-)...the cravings have been passing...I jusy quit ct with no drugs or tapering.

This is the 2nd addiction I kicked in 30 days....one day at a time.

Peace,

Nick
I was not going to add to this forum but I when I read that you work in a call centre I felt your pain, lol. I too work in a call centre, outbound too, yuck. It is a real test of patience. I posted a science based response on the best way to quit thread, read that. This should explain why NRT can send you mad and why gritting it through cold turkey is the only real way to be FREE.
I am sure you heard this a thousand times before, but I am smoking now for three years, but whenever I need to stop because it is inappropriate socially I just stop, for days, or even weeks, and I only restart because I want to, not because I need to. I am still a smoker, but I smoke because I like smoking, and I have no intention of quitting, however this shows that addiction is purely mental. Will yourself to not crave the cigarettes, and you wont crave them. Remember the age old philosophy of mind over matter. You can stop all cravings by simple not craving, make the conscious effort to control your subconscious, and quitting will pose no challenge at all.
if that doesnt work, there is an injection that you can take which blocks nicotine from entering your brain, so that after a while you will get frustrated with smoking because it has no effect and just stop.