Smoking Addiction Community
warning

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

warning

hi
   if you smoke when using the patch or other nicotine replacement aids, every time you light a ciggy when on these aids you get an overdose of nicotine, you get the nicotine from the ciggy and the nicotine from the replacement as the nicotine is the addictive part then a double dose is going to make it harder, to stop not easier, plus its even less healthy.
honestly you really wouldnt get an "overdose" , considering if you were to chew the gum and smoke at the same time your still getting way less nicotine than you would be with one dip from smokeless tobacco, but i really dont see why someone would smoke on the aids in the first place unless its intentional, at a worst case scenario the person would throw up from a high intake of nicotine..  but your right about it making it harder to stop smoking, And yes its less healthy but not by much, the aids are waaay safer to use than actual tobacco, just not nearly as enjoyable and besides the nicotine content isnt enough to get a buzz off the patch/gum , unless your really sensitive to it
thanks just what people who are trying to quit need, a post like that,
the motive of the post was to try and phsycologicly ( excuse the spelling) help people stop smoking, but as you have told them they won't overdose i don't think your post will help, the overdose of nicotine, i was told by my doctor, and some aids instructions have a warning on the instructionsabout smoking while using these aids.
Here are some important things that you should know about nicotine replacement products:

1)  Nicotine patches and nicotine gum are available over-the-counter. The nicotine nasal spray and nicotine inhaler are currently available only by prescription from a doctor.

2)  These products provide a small amount of nicotine that will help relieve many of the withdrawal symptoms that a smoker may feel when quitting.

3)  The goal is to be free of both cigarettes and the nicotine substitute within three to six months.

As mentioned in the beginning of this section, you must quit smoking completely before you use any nicotine replacement.

This means that you must not smoke while using these products. If you do, you may develop serious side effects caused by an overdose of nicotine.
Nicotine replacement must not be used by pregnant or nursing women. With any nicotine substitute, it’s always wise to check with your doctor to see if there are medical reasons you should not use these products.

take look here  www.ellisfischel.org/thoracic/smoking.shtml - 20k
no comment on that copy and pasted info from the above site then, if you still think you can't overdose on nicotine, would you be kind enough to write and tell the manufactures
that there info on there instructions is wrong and could they ammend them

frewsh
If you chew gum and smoke, you're at a higher risk of mouth cancer...
Oh and that's bs. You don't have to quit smoking in order to use a patch. In some cases quoting cold turkey will make you sick. You shouldn't smoke on the patch. But you won't necessarily OD. You will just get sick. I don't know about you, but I am a smoker. Sooooo....
the high school principal in the city i live in died smoking a cig with the patch on.  he had a heart attack.  too much nicotine in the blood stream can stop your heart.  
they have that warning for a reason, it can be deadly.
in this case the principal was wearing it to help him get through the day, but would still go out and have a cig on his break.  he took a long break.  
U don't get an overdose, I know!

I use 4mg ice mint lozenges and smoke menthol cigarettes. I got addicted to doing this very soon after flirting with it. If ur an addictive person and try both Nicorette when smoking, especially menthols which seem to relate with the ice mint lozenge and gum, then u well end up really deeply addicted to it. It tricks u into liking it and once u need it, u cannot stop. I know!