Social Security Disability or SSDI User Group
Started on SSDI at a young age, will my income always be below poverty?...
About This Group:

I wanted to start this group to keep in touch with others and to help or get tips from others about SSDI since there isn't a forum for it. Where are you in the filing process? What have you learned or need to know so we can help each other through the long treacherous process.

Founded by Mom2four85 on May 16, 2011
50 members

Started on SSDI at a young age, will my income always be below poverty?

About 2 years ago I lost my job because my epilepsy had come back and was worse than ever.  I applied for an ADA accomodation and they were willing to work with me on it for about 6 months before deciding I was a burden.  Luckily I was immediately approved for SSDI, but due to my young age, had not paid in enough to qualify for more than 880 a month.  At first I was also approved for food stamps, but only for $12 a month, and when I got a cost of living increase of $5 I lost that completely, I also did not qualify for state medicaid and my medications ran around 3500 a month as my seizures are becoming progressively worse.

What I am wondering is, am I going to be stuck at this income level, except for cost of living increases the rest of my life?  If so there is no way I will be able to survive as to make ends meet I sold off my IRA, 401k, savings account. pickup, and my harley.  I now have no assets, 2 pairs of jeans and 4 shirts, and my laptop, nothing else.  Even my doctors worry and try to do all they can.
I don't know alot about it but have you checked with your local agencies? I do know there is help but you have to ask all the right questions to find it.  Others have gotten help with housing and utilities so you may want to call your local agencies and ask what kind of help there is in your situation.

as far as income level; SSDI to my knowledge is all based on your previous income I think of the last 10 years? so if you're young it may be based on that and won't change unless something different happens.

Have you tried the different agencies and asked what type of help there is?
  Hi, I'm sorry for your circumstances. I know my eligibility and income is based on the last five of the last ten years. I had to have worked five of the last ten years. They don't ever get you enough to really live on, without the help of my family I would never make it. I have my interview on the phone today for my second application for ssdi, plus I will be eligible for ssi from working in Feb on my birthday. But then they just subtract the ssdi again so I still stay below what I could really live on. It's sad I know but I don't have any answers. Have you tried asking your local ss office? Please keep me informed as I also hold great interest in this subject. I hope to God they will still give me food stamps! Good Luck honey.
Yeah, I have been working with vocational rehabilitation.  I am checking into HUD housing, as my landlord has become a slumlord, just found out the house is full of lead paint and they never responded to my request for repairs which I received the letter receipt 20 days ago.

As far as other agencies, I do not qualify for full medicaid, just the medically needy plan, which requires that I pay in $3500 every 6 months before they help.  Luckily, the state is paying my medicare premiums I found out.  Downside is there are a number of my meds not covered, I need to find a different part d provider.  Kind of tough when alot of anticonvulsants are not covered.

I also have no idea what I will do about my teeth, I have not been able to see a dentist since going on SSDI as I had no dental coverage.  The abscess is extremely painful and I hate going to ERs.  There aren't any dentists around here that work out payment plans
Go to the ER they will give you anti-biotics and pain meds, then after you FINISH ALL the anti-'s go to your local community county dental office and they will pull the tooth no cost. That's all they will do, unless they will fill it, is it savable?
ILADVOCATE commented on im terrified. .
Apr 06
ILADVOCATE commented on Anxiety disorder - am...
Apr 06
ILADVOCATE commented on traz.
Apr 04