Speech & Language Disorders Community
lost my voice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

lost my voice

i have lost my voice on aug 20 i can talk but its  very hoarse and some times there is no  sound @ all  it does hurt to talk  i have been  seeing a ent doctor and just had surgery to have  part of thyriod removeed and  a scope to check  voical cords.  the doctor said they he thinks my voical cords are stressed for  over use  because my job is working on the phone . He is sending my to a voice  coach but said that he does  not  how long it will take or fi voice  will come back  and also if my voice does come back and i go back to work  same thing may come back .  This is only work i know  and really how jobs are out there you do not need to talk @ all. Please help has anyone had same problem and was there  something or someone that  can help . Going crazy  not being able to speak
Hi Sam, the same thing happened to me when I was 19. I lost my voice and it took great effort to talk. I was diagnosed with spasmotic dysphonia (adductor type) and saw a speech therapist. The speech therapy helped but is not a cure. I am now in my 30's and my voice has never been as bad as the initial onset, but it causes me frequent problems. The only recommended treatment for the condition is botox injections in the vocal cords. They last for 3-4 months. Diagnosis and treatment is usually handled by a neurologist with assitance from an ENT. Using speech therapy techniques and inderal I am able to speak without relying on the botox injections. Good luck!
Hi Sam,

I'm a speech pathologist and I specialize in Voice Disorders.  I cannot diagnose a voice disorder, particularly online (!), official diagnosis is up to the ENT.  However, it sounds to me like you have a muscle tension dysphonia which is often brought on by a lot of stress.  The fact that you know the date that you lost your voice indicates to me that it is unlikely that you have spasmodic dysphonia, as that doesn't have an acute onset.  If you tell me where you live (you can private message me) I can tell you of some really good voice therapists near you that could help you with this.  I don't believe that you will be unable to talk forever.  You had thyroid surgery.  Why?  Who is your ENT?  Did they say if there is any nerve damage following the surgery, or are both of your vocal cords moving well?  I look forward to hearing from you.  I hope I can point you in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Chris
Healingwell62
Breast Cancer Community Leader, and;
Speech Pathologist
I was not attempting to diagnose anyone with spasmodic dysphonia. I was only offering my experience as a fellow person with a voice disorder. When you do not know other people with similar disorders, as what happened to me when I was diagnosed, it can be very upsetting. Fortunately there is the internet and people can share their experiences and support in forums.

Someone reading this post may actually have spasmodic dysphonia and find the thread of some benefit.