Speech & Language Disorders Community
19 Month Old Not Talking Much

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

19 Month Old Not Talking Much

Hi, my 19 mth old does not say many words mostly just babbling.  He was seen by the pedi who referred us to an audiologist and a neurologist because of the # words he should be saying. His hearing is fine according to audiologist. I'm waiting to see the pedi neurologist. He has amazing motor skills though. He walked at 8 mths, sat up ahead of time and crawled backwards first then forward for a very short period and cruised around the table at 5 mths. He was climbing on things at 11 mths.He said words a month or two before turning 1, but was never really chatty, just observing alot. He is always so busy, he never stops going. He can watch tv shows he likes and he will dance around in circles. He will not speak what he wants, he grabs me by the hand and takes me to what he wants. He will not point either unless I'm pointing in a book. Like for instance he will take me to the door when he wants to go outside. I always ask him to tell me what he wants before I do it. He will say "door" sometimes when I ask. He repeats what I tell him to say. If a door is closed and he wants to go into the room, he will say "opendoor", but not all the time. When we do flashcards, he only knows ball, duck and cat on his own, the others I have to say. He seems to be very hyper and get frustrated when I ask him what he wants. He hums a song from one of his tv shows mostly. He's very loving and likes to sit on my lap and will give kisses if asked to us. He will get me by the hand to come and dance and play in the room with him.  He loves to dance in circles to music. He will carry around something he likes in his hand sometimes. He plays with his toys appropriately. He smiles when I smile, loves peek a boo, loves when I'm silly and he will gut laugh really hard. He does not throw tantrums. He wont answer to his name most times especially if the tv is on. He will turn around when someone enters the room. I don't think he understands me when I ask him a question. He ignores a lot and will pull away when we try to engage him. He absolutely loves the outside! It's almost like he's free! I love my little guy and want the best for him, I've contacted EI and we are waiting for eval. Anyone else going through this frustrating speech issue with their toddler. What was your outcome. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!