Speech & Language Disorders Community
2 1/2 year old cant talk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

2 1/2 year old cant talk

Hello. I have some concerns about my niece who is 2 years and 7 months old. She still has not said her first word. And all she can do is make noises. She can deffinitly understand what your saying, and whats going on, but i dont understand why she cant say something as simply as "mama" or "dada" or "doggie" She is not an only child, she has an older brother who is 5 years and 6 months old and a younger brother who will be 1 year in just a few days. When she wants to show you something she grabbs your and and brings you to what she wants you to see, or she will point and say "eh". When she is watching television, she will point to the volume button on the remote and show you that she wants it turned up, even when its loud enough to hear. When you say her name she only looks when she wants to, as if shes ignoring us, because its clear as day that she can hear us and is just avoiding us. Her older brother always talks for her, in a way like "Mom ***** wants a drink" or "Mom ***** wants a snack" We had some ideas that she may be deaf, but we dont think thats the problem. We all sit with her on a day to day basis and try to teach her simple words. But for some reason when she tries to say them but  when she does she will use inncorrect sounds. Such as, "baba" could come out like "gego". Could there be something behind all this?
Oh my, this is exactly like my daughter, she is now 2 years and almost 7 months and does not say any words. She has said some words in the past like mama and star, but has not said them since. She is very bright, is very challenged by computers and electronics (can play circa 50 different games on the nintendo ds appropriately). She is now going to a speech therapist, who mentioned after only two half hours of therapy that she may be highly intelligent. Sometimes children who are h.i. start talking when they are completely sure they can speak really well. Not before that. We are now going to get her evaluated, to see if this may be the 'problem' .
Can you let me know what happened with your daughter since you placed this message? Ik am curious to see if there have been changes in her speech.
Have a look online for information on verbal dyspraxia.  I think in the US it may be refered to as articulatory dyspraxia or apraxia of speech.  Dyspraxia does not change how intelligent a child is but can affect particular areas of development. In the case of verbal dyspraxia there is problem with making the precise movements needed to coordinate speech.