Speech & Language Disorders Community
2 1/2 year old cant talk
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

2 1/2 year old cant talk

Hello. I have some concerns about my niece who is 2 years and 7 months old. She still has not said her first word. And all she can do is make noises. She can deffinitly understand what your saying, and whats going on, but i dont understand why she cant say something as simply as "mama" or "dada" or "doggie" She is not an only child, she has an older brother who is 5 years and 6 months old and a younger brother who will be 1 year in just a few days. When she wants to show you something she grabbs your and and brings you to what she wants you to see, or she will point and say "eh". When she is watching television, she will point to the volume button on the remote and show you that she wants it turned up, even when its loud enough to hear. When you say her name she only looks when she wants to, as if shes ignoring us, because its clear as day that she can hear us and is just avoiding us. Her older brother always talks for her, in a way like "Mom ***** wants a drink" or "Mom ***** wants a snack" We had some ideas that she may be deaf, but we dont think thats the problem. We all sit with her on a day to day basis and try to teach her simple words. But for some reason when she tries to say them but  when she does she will use inncorrect sounds. Such as, "baba" could come out like "gego". Could there be something behind all this?